Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early October Parks Bows

Default Early October Parks Bows

Mouths of rivers and flesh is the ticket right? More advice anyone?

Depends on the streams and year. I've had banner days in October near the highway on some streams, while other years they have already out-migrated on the same stream by October. Start at the mouth of any stream and work your way upstream until you find fish. Everything will work in the fall as far as fly selection. Nymphs, leeches, beads, flesh etc. I usually start with flesh or beads and go from there.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

What fishgod said and I'll reiterate that different streams will produce different bites; flesh in one stream and beads in another. Change it up and move around and up from the mouths to find the fish.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    What fishgod said and I'll reiterate that different streams will produce different bites; flesh in one stream and beads in another. Change it up and move around and up from the mouths to find the fish.
    Thanks guys, good info.

I almost strictly stick to llamas and others while on the parks unless they aren't producing. I save the beads and flesh for the Kenai.
    hook, line, sinker, done.

Ran into a guy with a Spey, he was talking streamers and sculpin. Any thoughts on this? I've always fished flesh in oct.

streamers definitely work this time of year. Beads and flesh work too but considering how much snagging and re-rigging is required I prefer streamers. I caught a 28" rainbow (personal best) on a dali last weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by mbrenna View Post
    streamers definitely work this time of year. Beads and flesh work too but considering how much snagging and re-rigging is required I prefer streamers. I caught a 28" rainbow (personal best) on a dali last weekend.
    pics or it didn't happen....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	81152
    Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    pics or it didn't happen....

Views:	215 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	81151Alright...Notice the streamer hanging from his lip

Nice fish mane!

Thanks! Yeah, like it said it was a personal best (not including the kenai) The fun part was that I broke my 7 weight winston that morning and was fishing my 5wt sage vxp with 3x tippet. It was luckily to have landed em. He had my reel glowin hot by the time he was done.

Picked up a few nice ones at the mouth of troublesome. Nothing at the mouth of Montana. Lots of dead carcasses but we were the only people there. Have the fish already out migrated or are people still fishing up Yoder?

**** purty fish there.

I would not have guessed it at 28".

NIce fish, but I second ICB

Quote Originally Posted by icb12 View Post
    **** purty fish there.

I would not have guessed it at 28".
    I was going to say the same thing, but I didn't want to bust his bubble.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Views:	223 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	81152

Views:	215 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	81151Alright...Notice the streamer hanging from his lip
    Amazing rainbow! Congrats.

this was 24
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg  

haha, I knew I'd get this reaction. I didn't post it originally for a reason...but Danner tricked me into taking the bait. OK, fair enough...its not a true 28" fish. However, I did hold it to my rod (which i have measured varies marks on it) and it was 27". The pictures don't do it justice (i know, i know, "heard that one before" right). BUT the girth, STRENGTH, fight, beauty, and fact that I caught him on a 5weight made it an OUTSTANDING EXPERIENCE, one that warranted an imaginary extra inch...just to get the point across. At the time my buddy and I were yelling "HOLY SH*T, that thing must be 30" PLUS." I could barely lift him cause my hand wouldn't reach half way around em. So yeah, I was telling "fish tales" but, hey, don't we all? Last time I was accused of over estimating inches I was able to blame it on too much whiskey and cold weather . Of course no one wants me to post photos of that though!
    But thanks for the kudos. For FYI parks highway is still fishing. At least on willow. I own property on willow creek parkway and have been able to fish the river late into the season. On sunday evening I caught 5 fish in less than an hour...all of which were over 18inchs and one that was 21. All on streamers. The next morning we fished the same stretch and didn't touch a fish. I thought maybe the water needed to warm up a bit...but not sure if that was the real situation though. I figured trout would be opportunistic and feed all day, but apparently not. This was on Sunday...18inch...for real.

Name:	photo 1.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	81302 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2-2.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	81303 a couple more photos

All on streamers. The next morning we fished the same stretch and didn't touch a fish. I thought maybe the water needed to warm up a bit...but not sure if that was the real situation though. I figured trout would be opportunistic and feed all day, but apparently not.
    The game changes when the water is cold like that. Its not that they aren't opportunistic. Its just that they aren't going to move as much for it. You need to
    A) piss them off
    B) put something right in front of them that will get their attention

Heavier tips\flies, get it ALL the way down to the fish. If the fish aren't moving to your fly your technique-drift, swing, combo, whatever has to be placed perfect. It has also been my experience that the take will subdue. Feels more like your fly just stops rather than gets eaten.
    If you like throwing leeches, switch it up to something with a lot of action. Lots of legs, flash, movement, etc. and then drop it in right on them. They aren't going to travel. You're gonna get it when it passes within a couple inches of their face or not at all.

I equate it to the lady friend trying to talk to you when your playing NHL on the Xbox, totally in the zone. To get you to listen, She either has to
    A) smack you upside the head with something heavy
    Or
    B) stand in front of the TV wearing... not much of anything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast