Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sending a handgun via USPS

Default Sending a handgun via USPS

What are the rules/legalities of shipping a firearm via the US Postal Service to another state--like WA or TX? Is this above the board legal? Will the receiving party need any paperwork? How much of a hassle? FFL mess?

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    What are the rules/legalities of shipping a firearm via the US Postal Service to another state--like WA or TX? Is this above the board legal? Will the receiving party need any paperwork? How much of a hassle? FFL mess?

Tim
    USPS does not ship handguns. Period. If you want to ship a handgun, you have to send it UPS or FedEx. New corporate rules (not federal laws) mean that they (UPS & FedEx) now require that you ship firearms to an FFL. FFL transfer will mean the standard laws for the state they are shipped to. Likely a 4473 form and a background check at a minimum. (PS, this new corp policy includes shipping to yourself now.)

By law you can ship any firearm via common carrier from yourself to yourself. However, if the intent is to transfer the firearm (ie, sale or giving to) you have to use an FFL for any transfers that cross state lines.

I believe an FFL holder can ship a hand gun via USPS. Everyone else, common carrier. Long guns, no problem USPS as long as it goes to an FFL holder.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Tim
    From the horse's mouth. LINK
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    Good point, I re-read my post and realized I neglected to clarify that I was talking about individuals (non-FFL, non-dealer, non-manuf) only. It was in my head, but it didn't make it onto the post. Sorry about that.

Good to know.

Forgot about the possibility of a 4473, even though I'm not selling it.

Can ammunition be sent through the USPS? Couldn't find it on USPS site, via the link 1Cor posted.

Tim

Can ammunition be sent through the USPS? Couldn't find it on USPS site, via the link 1Cor posted.

Tim
    Here's your LINK

You'll want to read 341.21.

Take it apart and send it in two separate packages. The packages contain then gun parts and not a functioning handgun. Gun parts are legal to ship as long as they don't fall under the "restricted" definition which is for silenced, full auto, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Take it apart and send it in two separate packages. The packages contain then gun parts and not a functioning handgun. Gun parts are legal to ship as long as they don't fall under the "restricted" definition which is for silenced, full auto, etc...
    From the above link to the USPS

Parts of handguns are mailable, except for handgun frames, receivers or other parts or components regulated under Chapter 44, Title 18, U.S.C.
    It's really not that hard to read the regs, especially when they're linked, before a person answers

Thanks again 1Cor.

So how does Cabelal's get away with shipping ammo? UPS?

thanks again 1cor.

So how does cabelal's get away with shipping ammo? Ups?
    ups

Screen Shot 2014-09-16 at 11.45.07 AM.png

The silly thing is if someone from Anchorage fedx's me a pistol it comes in the mail as we don't have fedx here,go figure.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Thanks again 1Cor.

So how does Cabelal's get away with shipping ammo? UPS?
    I've received ammo via UPS and FedEx years ago, but can't say for certain right now.

I've received ammo via UPS and FedEx years ago, but can't say for certain right now.
    FedEx and UPS recently changed their policies. By recently I mean sometime in the last 5 years. I don't know exactly when, but I'm really guessing it was more like in the last 3. One of the new policies is that (for UPS) they will not ship ammo other than ground. They cannot ship it by ground via Canada, so it's limited to the contiguous 48, or intra-state for AK and HI.

Another change is that they used to ship from self to self (no FFL) but they don't allow that any more. It's not a law, it's a policy. Now an FFL must be involved to receive (or manuf, importer, collector). Which means now if you choose to ship your hunting rifle to yourself via UPS or FedEx in AK, it has to go through an FFL, which means 4473 and background check. On your own rifle. Cool right?

It's only getting harder to be a law abiding citizen who owns a gun. Pretty soon you won't be able to transport it anywhere. (sorry, pessimism there)

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    FedEx and UPS recently changed their policies. By recently I mean sometime in the last 5 years. I don't know exactly when, but I'm really guessing it was more like in the last 3. One of the new policies is that (for UPS) they will not ship ammo other than ground. They cannot ship it by ground via Canada, so it's limited to the contiguous 48, or intra-state for AK and HI.

Another change is that they used to ship from self to self (no FFL) but they don't allow that any more. It's not a law, it's a policy. Now an FFL must be involved to receive (or manuf, importer, collector). Which means now if you choose to ship your hunting rifle to yourself via UPS or FedEx in AK, it has to go through an FFL, which means 4473 and background check. On your own rifle. Cool right?

It's only getting harder to be a law abiding citizen who owns a gun. Pretty soon you won't be able to transport it anywhere. (sorry, pessimism there)
    That torques my jaws.

I heard last night, that you can no longer take ammo across the Canadian Border. I hope it ain't true. I'm afraid to find out.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post

I heard last night, that you can no longer take ammo across the Canadian Border. I hope it ain't true. I'm afraid to find out.
    Hunters may bring in, duty-free, 200 rounds of ammunition; participants in a competition, 1,500 rounds. A valid license or declaration must be shown to purchase ammunition. If you hunt in Canada's parks or game reserves, you may have to get a hunting license from each province or territory in which you plan to hunt. For more information about parks and hunting regulations, contact the appropriate provincial or territorial tourism information office:
    Newfoundland and Labrador, (800) 563-6353 or (709) 729-2830;
    Prince Edward Island, (888) 734-7529 or (902) 368-4444;
    Nova Scotia, (800) 565-0000 or (902) 425-5781;
    New Brunswick, (800) 561-0123 or (506) 789-4982;
    Québec, (800) 363-7777 or (514) 873-2015;
    Ontario, (800) 668-2746 or (416) 314-0944;
    Manitoba, (800) 665-0040 or (204) 945-3777;
    Saskatchewan (877) 237-2273 or (306) 787-2300;
    Alberta, (800) 661-8888 or (780) 427-4321;
    British Columbia, (800) 663-6000 or (250) 387-1642;
    Northwest Territories (Western NWT), (800) 661-0788;
    Nunavut (Eastern NWT), (800) 491-7910;
    Yukon, (867) 667-5340.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    ...Which means now if you choose to ship your hunting rifle to yourself via UPS or FedEx in AK, it has to go through an FFL, which means 4473 and background check.
    Not necessarily.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

After reading the link it seems that the only handguns that can be mailed are relics? Basically I couldn't mail my glock no matter what? Unless it was to one of the officers listed.

You can sent USPS from yourself to yourself as long as you are taking passion of the mail when it arrive be it a rifle or shotgun. YOU cannot send a firearm to someone else in another state without a FFL on the receiving in.
    Fine line on pistols in the mail, some say break it down and send as parts.... YES that is true but the part that has the S/N on must go to a FFL to be completely legal.
    YOU can not send ammo BY USPS but you can get ammo by fedx and UPS. There is several thread on the forum on this.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast