Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hope for Pinks

Default Hope for Pinks

Hi guys, I know kings are in full swing, but I have a question regarding fishing the creek(s) in Hope for pinks:
    Being that this is not an even numbered year, will pinks be coming into Hope in catchable numbers and will they be there mid July-early August? Also, do you have to downsize the lures used for them (pixies, Vibrax, Mepps, etc)?
    Best colors for pinks?
    Haven't been to Hope before, but from the info I've received on the forum from past posts, it seems like a cool place to visit!
    Thanks,
    Jim

Hope is a wondeful little place to explore. Great Cafe's, great B&B's and the people are just so friendly. My wife and I fish there 1 day a year. We fish the Kenai year round but take our 5 weight fly rods every mid august to hope just to catch and release pinks. We use everything from coho flys, to egg sucking leeches. Spinning rods i see success with pixies and smaller vibrax or mepps #2-3. There run is there every year unlike in the kenai on the even number years. If you want more info pm Id be glad to try to help.
    Set the Hook
    Chuck

1 more thiing. Colors have never mattered just be patient if there our crowds and have fun

People actually fish for pinks?

There are fishable numbers of pinks everywhere every year except in bristol bay, I'd bet the gilnetters get less than 1 cent a pound this year cause there will be so many
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Thanks for the replies guys! Chuck, I tried to PM you, but the system wouldn't let me do it? Is your PM full or something? I'd like to get a hold of you, feel free to pm me and we can email if that's better.
    Thanks,
    Jim

Default Hope

We've been going down to Hope and fishing for pinks every year for the last 9. Its a lot of fun. Usually the numbers get good from the third week in July on. Color sometimes makes a difference, sometimes not. Odd yearts still have excellent numbers and good fishing. We usually use light fly rods but you have better luck if you weight the line and fish deep.

Default hope

Lots of great memories fishing Resurection Creek at Hope. In fact, when I die my ashes are to be scattered in the creek there! Found ample numbers....no actually it was like absurd numbers of fish in the river on July 13 last year, July 10 the year before that, and July 9 the year before that! Five wt. or light spinner...usually not a picky fish, if they seem reluctant, down size and change color. We target the bright females for the smoker and think they are great. Not all that bad grilled over the campfire either. Very beginner friendly river and a lot of fun for the experienced. Watch out for the occassional Chum and Silvers too. You will have your hands full trying to land either one of those on a 5 wt....lots of fun! My favorite way to begin a trip! If the crowds start to bother you just head upstream of the bridge a mile or so and you will most likely be by yourself. Have fun!

Default ???Pinks/Odd???

So, you are saying that even though this is an odd year for large numbers of pinks, they will still be worth fishing for
    http://www.pbase.com/tull777

http://www.eddiefisherphoto.com/

"If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"

Every year in Hope has good numbers. I have always had a great time there slaying the pinks. Of course we just play catch and release but after 50 or 60 pinks in a few hours it is a great workout and a great time

Smile 3-year old time!

That's great to know they'll be there this year. I took my then two-year old down last summer, hooked onemyself, and let her hold onto the rod and slowly back up to land it. I hope this year she can actually reel one in. I don't know about the casting and hooking part of it, I might have to do that, but it won't be long...
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Default Hope

Hope will have pinks. Mid July always works for me. I use egg suckin leeches. My mother-in-law eats them raw.

My wife has told me many stories about Hope. Her family homestead in Hope and her folks still have a couple cabins there. I have visited many times.

TSS
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

I accessed ADF&G regulations regarding salmon limits in Hope/Resurrection Creek; seems to conflict itself; is it 3 per day/3 possession or 2 per day/2 possession for pinks, silvers, chums over 20"?
    Thanks,
    Jim

Default resurrection creek

Three salmon 16" or longer per day/in possession, only two of which may be silver salmon...that's how I read it.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Default No so

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    People actually fish for pinks?

There are fishable numbers of pinks everywhere every year except in bristol bay, I'd bet the gilnetters get less than 1 cent a pound this year cause there will be so many
    I have picked many, MANY, pinks from my set net over the years in Bristol Bay. They are catchable there as anywhere else in AK.

Hey Jim. Waited for you call last night but never came. sorry i was on the river yesterday morning when you called. Im available today. If i dont answer im out of range and I will call you this evening. have lots of info for you bud. Chuck
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Question

Once the pinks get into the creek will they take a lure or do you just catch like you do red's?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieM View Post
    Once the pinks get into the creek will they take a lure or do you just catch like you do red's?

Thanks
    Yes, pinks will most certainly take a lure. I prefer to fish them in Hope on bright pink, orange, or purple flies, but they will readily take pixies, vibrax, or other such hardware. Pinks are among the most likely to strike lures in freshwater, so they're a load of fun and great for beginners. Enjoy!

Default Any update from Hope?

We're approaching Mid-July.... Has anyone been to Hope lately?

I would like to get down there this weekend for an extended lunch and CR fishing trip...

thanks in advance -

Nate

Default Try above the bridge!

Quote Originally Posted by nrc View Post
    We're approaching Mid-July.... Has anyone been to Hope lately?

I would like to get down there this weekend for an extended lunch and CR fishing trip...

thanks in advance -

Nate
    Ok I will post it again. I went to Hope to see my in-laws on the 2-3-4 July 2007. Pinks were coming up creek. My Father-in-Law and I caught them all day long...no one else around on the creek. We used a 5 wt fly rod with egg suckin-leech and also caught them on yarn. Yes they bite.

Upsteam of Hope Highway bridge (Bridge in background) No one else fishing?

No ONE there 4 July 2007 We owned the creek!

Another Humpy in Hope.

I could go on and on with the pictures....we caught them all morning long driffting different colored egg-sucking leeches and yarn. Did I mention that they bite.

TSS
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Can a person walk the whole creek? Any private property to worry about? I noticed the bridge in the back ground ...is that the bridge on the main road through Hope?

Thanks in advance.
    http://www.pbase.com/tull777

http://www.eddiefisherphoto.com/

"If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast