Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anchorage Needs A Waterfowl Dipnet Season

Default Anchorage Needs A Waterfowl Dipnet Season

A couple of early mornings with a bag of bread and a dipnet would solve this problem. I vote for a lottery draw for a special permit.

http://www.adn.com/article/20140914/...ater-anchorage

Ya I'll take part in that haha

I'll bring half of Kenai and Soldotna up with me to dip net your birds. Make sure you have camping places for us. Don't mind the mess when we are done.

How bout blow guns instead!

Sent while partying

Alaska swamp man pro staff
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Archery with flu flu arrows...Im game
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

I've often wondered what would happen if someone took seriously the regulation note that hunting is allowed throughout the MOA by falconry only. It would be lights-out. You'd get a lot of dirty looks, but it would be quite a sight to bring a red-tailed hawk to one of Anchorage's parks and let it loose on these nearly domesticated birds.

But on a more serious note, I think people don't understand the damage they do by feeding wild animals. The article seems to state that it is common knowledge, but in my experience it really isn't. Maybe people have heard it, but they don't really understand it. We should do better at sending the message. -Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Gr is for Greg View Post
    I've often wondered what would happen if someone took seriously the regulation note that hunting is allowed throughout the MOA by falconry only. It would be lights-out. You'd get a lot of dirty looks, but it would be quite a sight to bring a red-tailed hawk to one of Anchorage's parks and let it loose on these nearly domesticated birds.

But on a more serious note, I think people don't understand the damage they do by feeding wild animals. The article seems to state that it is common knowledge, but in my experience it really isn't. Maybe people have heard it, but they don't really understand it. We should do better at sending the message. -Gr
    When I lived in East Anchorage, there was a guy that smacked the mallard around real good using falconry. He was there at least once a week during the season. It was very interesting to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    When I lived in East Anchorage, there was a guy that smacked the mallard around real good using falconry. He was there at least once a week during the season. It was very interesting to watch.
    As I understand it, it's quite a process. You don't just go get a raptor. There's a whole apprenticeship process, and I've even heard that you have to go harvest an egg or chick of the bird you want to use from the nest and raise it from a chick. That's wild. Take it as unsubstantiated for now, but let's agree that you can't get hunting birds from Cabela's... It would be pretty bad@$$ tho
    My signature is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I'll bring half of Kenai and Soldotna up with me to dip net your birds. Make sure you have camping places for us. Don't mind the mess when we are done.
    We're gonna need more people than that. Have to bring along all the out of state relatives too.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

As I understand it, it's quite a process. You don't just go get a raptor. There's a whole apprenticeship process, and I've even heard that you have to go harvest an egg or chick of the bird you want to use from the nest and raise it from a chick. That's wild. Take it as unsubstantiated for now, but let's agree that you can't get hunting birds from Cabela's... It would be pretty bad@$$ tho
    One of my Dad's buddies was a master falconer, which means he was the guy you had to talk into taking you under his wing in order to get the falconry license. He never raised the birds from chicks, he always trapped them (usually an adult bird), then trained them up. His preferred bird was a peregrine, but always had a goshawk around. He was never a big fan of red tails for some reason. It was always a blast when I was a kid to watch him out there training his birds. The sound a peregrine makes when it dives is pretty awesome!
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

This is just anecdotal but it sure seems like I am seeing fewer foxes and more geese here in town. The **** things are getting too comfortable. They walk right on the roads and ignore traffic until vehicles are practically running them over before they begrudgingly waddle off with swagger and attitude.

Maybe it is time to remind them who is the boss.

Almost daily see flocks on the ball fields and in the road medians they make a real mess of a small park in a hurry.

so when i was living in mn and was working for outfitters i would be driving on dirt roads all the time and every so often i may or may not have hit grouse on purpose with the axel which was at perfect height to break the neck/skull. In the reg book up here it doesnt say anything about using an axle of a vehicle to kill them. Would it be against the law to hit one with the truck if you picked it up and ate it. Now not to say that you would be able to look for them around town specifically targeting them but if one just so happen to be in front of your vehicle and it was banded would you get in trouble if you hit it and then jumped out picked it up and brought it home for dinner...

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    so when i was living in mn and was working for outfitters i would be driving on dirt roads all the time and every so often i may or may not have hit grouse on purpose with the axel which was at perfect height to break the neck/skull. In the reg book up here it doesnt say anything about using an axle of a vehicle to kill them. Would it be against the law to hit one with the truck if you picked it up and ate it. Now not to say that you would be able to look for them around town specifically targeting them but if one just so happen to be in front of your vehicle and it was banded would you get in trouble if you hit it and then jumped out picked it up and brought it home for dinner...
    Yes indeed. You would be in trouble. Fish and feathers actually have stuffed grouse that they use in sting operations to snag less than ethical sorts. They write you a ticket, have the option of confiscating weapons, vehicles, and other items utilized in the "hunt", and send you a bill to have a new grouse taxidermied.
    “The perils of duck hunting are great - especially for the duck.” Walter Cronkite

What laws would you be breaking

Sent while partying

You must be more hungry than I. Just run em over and let the tree huggin Subaru drivers take them to the park and give them a proper burial.

PS. Not that there is anything wrong with a Subaru, of course.

I can substantiate most of that for you. I looked into Falonry up here a few years ago, after my son read "My Side Of The Mountain" by Jean Craighead George. You are correct in that you can not just go get a get a bird and start hunting. You are required to do a one-year (IIRC it is 1 year) apprenticeship under a licensed falconer. At the time, 2011, there were only 11 registered falconers in Alaska. I don't recall anything about how you acquire the bird. I know of at least one Falconer in Anchorage-the husband of a former acquaintance. Bird TLC sanctuary might be a good start. All of this is available for free PDF from the ADFG site, under "Alaska Hunting Regulations." Click on the "Falconry" tab all the way to the right, and download the Alaska Falconry Manual.

When I was before the BOG this past year. The Falconry group was there. Pretty interesting group of guys. They all spoke of how they obtain the birds, raise and train them. They all said it was extremely important to take it from the nest after it has hatched. If there was only one, they would move to another nest. If two, they would take one, raise and train it.

They also mentioned it was near impossible to train an adult bird or a yearling. Extremely difficult but could be done. The problem at the BOG was another guy from another state coming to AK and obtaining his bird. They won the argument I believe and were there in full force and made many excellent arguments.

By the way...went out with a forum buddy last night put the smack down on two geese. Got a great double as they were cupped up coming into the decoys.
    H
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Thanks to Brian I was able to put the small dent in the population last night. Sure we will take many more before the end of the season.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Anchorage Needs A Waterfowl Dipnet Season

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    You must be more hungry than I. Just run em over and let the tree huggin Subaru drivers take them to the park and give them a proper burial.

PS. Not that there is anything wrong with a Subaru, of course.
    Not more hungry just an opportunist. If I am going to the grocery store for a steak and a goose walks out in the road in front of my truck why would I swerve and go buy meat when I could have fresh goose!

Sent while partying

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast