Thread: The Tannery Home Tanning Instructional Book

Default The Tannery Home Tanning Instructional Book

I bought that basic home tanning kit last year, and had some pretty good results with a couple lynx. A friend of mine wanted me to help him out and try it on a seal he got the other day, but I have lost/misplaced my booklet and I can't remember all the steps perfectly. Does anybody know of an online version? Or have the basic steps written down that they can share here? Thanks.

There are any different types of tan, what chemicals are you working with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure of the chemicals. It's the basic home kit you can find at sportsmans. I know I combine the salt looking stuff with flour and water, but i'm just not sure on the amounts. I just wanted to see if anyone is using the same kit and has the steps.

I should have added; It's a native friend of mines seal, if people were worried about adding input on a tanning a seal.

Quote Originally Posted by sean_moon View Post
    I'm not sure of the chemicals. It's the basic home kit you can find at sportsmans. I know I combine the salt looking stuff with flour and water, but i'm just not sure on the amounts. I just wanted to see if anyone is using the same kit and has the steps.
    That's pretty vague, but it sounds like it might be Alum tanning. plenty of information on it if you google it. I prefer to use Oxalic Acid for my pickling and Lutan F for my tanning. It's an easy straight forward process.

I have several Extra 50 lb bags of Oxalic Acid, Aluminum Sulfate / ALUM, & Lutan FN for sale.

Contact me for prices.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks
    907 322 0936
    Custom Taxidermy, Experience the difference !!

Quote Originally Posted by Anythingalaska View Post
    That's pretty vague, but it sounds like it might be Alum tanning. plenty of information on it if you google it. I prefer to use Oxalic Acid for my pickling and Lutan F for my tanning. It's an easy straight forward process.
    I agree on both accounts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk