Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sako Finnlight or Kimber Montana, or?

Default Sako Finnlight or Kimber Montana, or?

Looking to upgrade to a rifle in this ballpark. Going to probably go 30.06 any thoughts on either of these two or do I go custom? $1,500.00 is probably my limit. Looking for an accurate, lighter weight, stainless do all rifle. I've heard some issues with accuracy on the Kimbers... no real issues on the Sako. or so it seems.

Thoughts?

Mountaintrekker

As a Kimber Montana 30-06 owner, I say buy the other one.

Mines ok, now, but I've gone through probably $500 in reloading components and lapping to get mine to shoot. It's the most finicky rifle I've ever owned.

That said, it is light, and the build quality/ fit and finish is nice.

In the end, I finally got a load with Barnes TTSX 180's that will hold 1"-1.25" for 3 shots.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I've owned both and would go with the Sako every day.Be aware that even the '06 in a light rifle is a definite kicker...especially off the bench in load development.

You have gotten some excellent suggestions so far.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

winchester mod 70 Extreme weather in .270 is my suggestion. I Also have a Sako in .270, I like the the controled feed of the Win mod 70. Both are accurate meaning keyhole accurate! The Sako was purchased in the late eighties the day of Seps from USMC. Since then it has been sent out to Wessinger custom guns in SC, the floor plate is worn and can open and spill your ammo on the hilll your climbing or even the magazine follower can fall out and get lost. I purchased a Mod 70 weather extreme and it shoots just as accurate as the sako out of box!
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakcombo View Post
    winchester mod 70 Extreme weather in .270 is my suggestion. I Also have a Sako in .270, I like the the controled feed of the Win mod 70. Both are accurate meaning keyhole accurate! The Sako was purchased in the late eighties the day of Seps from USMC. Since then it has been sent out to Wessinger custom guns in SC, the floor plate is worn and can open and spill your ammo on the hilll your climbing or even the magazine follower can fall out and get lost. I purchased a Mod 70 weather extreme and it shoots just as accurate as the sako out of box!
    Is that Winchester one of the new CRF models?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Is that Winchester one of the new CRF models?

2 years old, fluted barrel, synthetic stock, light accurate.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Awesome, thanks for the info, I've been thinking about buying one!

I'd save up another 500 and got with kimber mountain ascent in 30.06 they have one at bass pro.

Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Default Sako Finnlight or Kimber Montana, or?

[QUOTE=akmike30;1424737]I'd save up another 500 and got with kimber mountain ascent in 30.06 they have one at bass pro.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

I have owned and immediately sold a couple Kimbers. They are lightweight but prone to be picky about loads and the quality control is spotty.
    While they might look like a Model 70 action clone, they are actually smaller.
    My old ( 1957) Husqvarna lightweight 30-06 is almost as light as a Kimber and it is a much better rifle.

For a lightweight controlled feed I would go with an old Husqvarna, or a new Model 70 stainless ,,,, Or maybe a Montana Rifle.

For a lighter push feed I would go with a Sako, Tikka, Browning Mountain Ti or a Remington tittanium Mountain rifle.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    I have owned and immediately sold a couple Kimbers. They are lightweight but prone to be picky about loads and the quality control is spotty.
    My old ( 1957) Husqvarna lightweight 30-06 is almost as light as a Kimber and it is a much better rifle.

For a lightweight controlled feed I would go with an old Husqvarna, or a new Model 70 stainless ,,,, Or maybe a Montana Rifle.

For a lighter push feed I would go with a Sako, Tikka, Browning Mountain Ti or a Remington tittanium Mountain rifle.
    +1
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Here a good write on the kimber

http://www.thealaskalife.com/guns/kimber-rifles/

Not much of a write up other than: rifle is light. Pictures of scales.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post

I believe the Finnlight is also controlled round feed.

I believe the Finnlight is also controlled round feed.
    Well, sort-of..... The model 85 Sako action does not have a big solid claw extractor like a Model 70, Ruger M77MKII, 1903, Montana Rifle, Kimber or M-98 Mauser.

It has a spring loaded extractor like a push feed, but they opened up the traditional push feed type bolt face so the cartridge rim could slide up along the bolt face.

Here is a M85 three lug bolt next to a Tikka 2 lug bolt face.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/254373...n/photostream/
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I've got two Kimber Montana's, one in .223 and the other is in .280AI. No, they are not perfect, but they are one of the best handling light rifles out there...in my price-range, anyway. While the out-of-the-box accuracy has been good enough for hunting purposes (minute-of-moose), it hasn't dazzled. Lucky, I like to tinker, and I've used some of the tips given in this thread (link below) to really improve their accuracy. I don't know the original poster, I just happened upon this thread a while back, and I decided to give his suggestions a go. I've been very happy with the results.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...pics/8486078/1

I used my .280AI Montana to bag this Unit 13 caribou this year. I shot him at 340yds with a 120TSX handload, and I suppose that's accurate enough.

Having had both , i would get the sako.
    Did i mention to get the sako?

If a push feed doesn't bother you, give a Forbes rifle a look. Very accurate, very light, and in your price range you mentioned. A few of the rifles mentioned here are really not that light if ultra lightweight is what you are looking for.

I prefer the Kimber Montana's. To me, with shooting light rifles, it's more of a shooting technique than anything else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast