View Poll Results: What is your favorite fish to catch on a flyrod in Alaska?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • King Salmon

6 6.74%
  • Silver Salmon

15 16.85%
  • Chum Salmon

2 2.25%
  • Pink Salmon

1 1.12%
  • Red Salmon

9 10.11%
  • Rainbow Trout/Steelhead

41 46.07%
  • Dolly Varden/Arctic Char

2 2.25%
  • Arctic Grayling

9 10.11%
  • Lake Trout

0 0%
  • Northern Pike

4 4.49%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite fish caught with a flyrod poll

Default Favorite fish caught with a flyrod poll

What is your favorite fish to catch with your flyrod? And tell your reason why. I said rainbows. If I had more options I would have included some others like sheefish, cutthroat trout, and I probably would have put rainbows and steelhead in separate categories but I only had ten options to choose.

My reason why is that rainbows are by far the most beautiful fish in and pound per pound they are the best fighters IMO.

Grayling, without a doubt. For me, it's not so much about the fish as about the places they live. Grayling represent beautiful, lonely places. Casting to an eager grayling with a fly on a remote mountain stream is good for the soul.

By a wide margin it's king salmon in saltwater. You have to find them pressed tight against kelp beds or reefs, which you sometimes can't manage for a year or two. But when it all comes together, it's about the best ride on a fly rod in Alaska. Hooked in such shallow water, all they want is deep water and FAST! Get them over about 30# and your 10WT is going to feel like a 3WT. Break the magic 50# barrier (only done it twice on a fly rod) and you'll sincerely regret using only a 10WT. Backing? No less than 250 yards, and with so little, you better be firing up the engine to give chase.

I could have not said it better..........Grayling #1 (Especially the Grayling on the East end of Lake Clark)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Grayling, without a doubt. For me, it's not so much about the fish as about the places they live. Grayling represent beautiful, lonely places. Casting to an eager grayling with a fly on a remote mountain stream is good for the soul.

This. Pure magic.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Wow! These are some interesting responses. When I made this poll my prediction was that rainbow trout would be the clear favorite. But it appears I am wrong. I too thoroughly enjoy catching grayling on a flyrod. For reasons already mentioned, but also because they are the #1 fish to catch on dry flies in Alaska IMO. You can catch rainbows on dry files too, but nothing can match the dry fly action of a grayling. And I do love catching fish on dry flies. It's a blast watching them rise up to the surface to snatch a dry. But, I still have to say rainbows are my favorite.

Hear, hear!
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Though I whole heartedly agree with you, some of these same places you mentioned can be found with beautiful bows. It is a tough choice, but I would have to tip my hat to the bow only because the fight is where its at. I have never had a grayling come out of the water like a bow.

Steelhead without a doubt. Sockeye are pretty awesome also, but steelies on a big bead headed prince nymph are pretty astounding.

Fish on!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

I will add silvers to the list, super aggresive and hard fighting fish that will crush a swinging fly.

Silvers on top water gear!

I voted for bows/metal..

But pike and silvers gave them a run for their money. Its all about the take.
    Pike absolutely torpedoing a big uber nasty fly stripped at mach 10....c'mon-that's stupidly fun.
    Silvers when they are hormonal and ticked off- same feeling.

But bows you can get the same take, but they outclass them in every other way.

Although dry fly fishing for large grayling is unreal fun and exciting fishing for bows/steelhead ranks up there for me. I have caught many rainbows and I still get surprised with some antics they pull to get off the line. I was left speechless at a nice bow last year in the parks as it jumped out around four feet into the overhanging trees to snap my line. Always a different fight.

I had a non-fly steelhead in L48 jump the bank and roll around in the weeds until it threw hook and flopped back in. I was in a boat.

(Never have caught one on fly though)

Silvers for the pure fight and rainbows to watch them jump and dance (and the amazing colors). Actually I don't think I have a favorite! Chums are a blast, grayling are scrappers, and landing kings with flyrod is special just because of the size....one of these days hope to fish for sheefish.

Summer Steelhead on the fly are awesome! On a scale of 1 to 10, they rate a 20

Steelhead, no question about it. There is nothing like a chrome dome fresh from the ocean.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

The question as posed: which is my favorite to CATCH: Rainbows, for the reasons noted. Nothing fights like a bow.
    If the question were worded: which is my favorite fish to FISH FOR: Grayling, for the reasons also noted. It's very rewarding to catch a big rainbow, but it can be a lot more fun to go catch a bunch of grayling. They are (in my experience), easier to coax to take a fly - probably the easiest of the fish noted - so there's a lot of action, a lot of fish on and landed, a lot of fun. I'll go grayling fishing for 4 hours and have fun the whole time. Then again, I'll fish rainbows for 4 hours and only have 2 nice fish the whole time, but the fight and the reward are such that the 10 minutes of pure fun make up for the dry spells in between. I agree that grayling give a couple runs and then get dragged right in, even big ones.

Silvers are a lot of fun on a fly too. Pound-for-pound they are NOT as strong as rainbows in a fight, but it's not very common to catch a rainbow as big as a silver (at least for me!) Dollies are somewhere between grayling and rainbows on both scales of measure, so they are not a stand-out fish. Fun to catch though. They're all fun to catch
    My signature is awesome.

I'm kind of surprised no one has even mentioned dolly varden/arctic char or lake trout. I would say either one of these would be my next pick after rainbows. Especially those nice fat sea-run dollies that come in from the ocean to spawn in the Arctic and Northwest Alaska. Either that or the nice fat ones that gorge on salmon eggs in the Kenai. Lakers are also a real blast to catch at night when they come into the outlets of lakes to feed on out-migrating salmon fry.

Jack, I almost clicked on the char because my real favorite fly rod fish is brook trout, and they are related to char so that's close enough I guess.... Not too many in AK though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast