Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: do you resize new casings?

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default do you resize new casings?

I just reloaded new nickel rem casings, I dint resize them and they require some force closing the bolt, will this be an issue? they are accurate and eject fine.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

So long as you can get the bolt closed to your satisfaction, they won't be an issue. If you prefer them a little looser, you can fix that next time you load them, but no need to break them down just because they close a little snug.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I always resize the necks, and only the necks. They're often dinged a little or slightly out of round. Without it, once in a while I've had a bullet fail to start correctly and crush a new case. Neck sizing is an easy fix/preventive measure.

I always treat new brass the same as range pickups. FL size, trim, the whole routine. It's production line stuff, so is suspect by my judgement.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

thanks everyone!
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Yup, always full length size and trim new so its all uniform.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I've only neck sized new Remington brass and been just fine, as taiga noted if you can get the bolt closed your good. I've had a little trouble flaring cases out when crimping and shooting them after a hard bolt close has re shaped them perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, like Andy and gunbugs I treat factory new like range pickup.

Biggest problem I have observed on my bench is stuff enough out of round that bullets don't seat correctly.

If yours are accurate and eject fine and "some" force on the bolt isn't too bad I probably wouldn't break them down either.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I always resize the necks, and only the necks. They're often dinged a little or slightly out of round. Without it, once in a while I've had a bullet fail to start correctly and crush a new case. Neck sizing is an easy fix/preventive measure.
    Yep, Same here

Yes, resize the necks at least. If you don't you won't have the same tension on the bullet as you will the next time after you resize. Best answer is do a full length resize and oh by the way...check length too...factory QC sucks.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakcombo View Post
    I just reloaded new nickel rem casings, I dint resize them and they require some force closing the bolt, will this be an issue? they are accurate and eject fine.
    Neck size only had issues with new Lapua brass on my 9.3 X 62 once, my fault bumped shoulders back to far and they would not fire. Had to bump
    neck up then back down to create a false shoulder. A real pain and expense esp. with good brass to begin with.

Lesson learned I fireform cases first then size brass to my specific chamber.

I FL size and trim all new brass. I also give them a good inspection. I loaded with new brass for several years and can not remember finding a bad caseing in a batch. It is not that way now. I feel lucky if I don't have a bad case or two in each pack.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post
    I FL size and trim all new brass. I also give them a good inspection. I loaded with new brass for several years and can not remember finding a bad caseing in a batch. It is not that way now. I feel lucky if I don't have a bad case or two in each pack.
    Good point.

I've had cases from Winchester that had faults making them unusable.

When sizing NEW brass, the die barely touches it, as it doesn't need much sizing. But DO, put a dab of lube on the base of the case. I stuck one, one time ago, sizing NEW brass without lubing.

Of course, my experiences may not be the same as that of others.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Yep, I use my std setting on FL sizer die which is just shy of the shoulder on fired cases in that rifle. About ten years ago I bought a bag of 50 new Win 300H&H brass and had two with split necks.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    ...Winchester....
    The worst of the worst for wahoos in cases.

Dinged necks, crushed necks, split necks, neck mouths glaringly uneven and sometimes just plain too short on one side, no flash holes, partly blocked flash holes.... You can just about name any case fault and sooner or later you're going to find it in Winnie cases.

Don't get me wrong. I love Winnie cases, but every batch of new ones needs to be inspected carefully. I'm in the habit of buying 10 boxes or 200 cases at a time (however they're packaged) for a "batch" of same-age cases to go through life together. I can't remember the last time I came out with 200 useable cases from a batch of 200.

x3 or so regarding winchester cases.

I love them them though after uniforming, they seem to outlast any other brand I use... Including the fabled Norma and Noslers.

Back the original question, ALWAYS at a minimum resize the neck and preferably bump the shoulder back a little. Neck tension will not affect accuracy directly, but without enough tension the bullets in the magazine will move around (after a shot) affecting pressures.

Quote Originally Posted by heathkiks View Post
    x3 or so regarding winchester cases.

I love them them though after uniforming, they seem to outlast any other brand I use... Including the fabled Norma and Noslers.

Back the original question, ALWAYS at a minimum resize the neck and preferably bump the shoulder back a little. Neck tension will not affect accuracy directly, but without enough tension the bullets in the magazine will move around (after a shot) affecting pressures.
    Bullets went in tight! We had a lot of brushing up the scraped copper from our reloads.
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakcombo View Post
    We had a lot of brushing up the scraped copper from our reloads.
    Did you chamfer the inside of the case mouths?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    The worst of the worst for wahoos in cases.

Dinged necks, crushed necks, split necks, neck mouths glaringly uneven and sometimes just plain too short on one side, no flash holes, partly blocked flash holes.... You can just about name any case fault and sooner or later you're going to find it in Winnie cases.

Don't get me wrong. I love Winnie cases, but every batch of new ones needs to be inspected carefully. I'm in the habit of buying 10 boxes or 200 cases at a time (however they're packaged) for a "batch" of same-age cases to go through life together. I can't remember the last time I came out with 200 useable cases from a batch of 200.
    Or, a big wrinkle, the full length of the neck, into the shoulder.

I sure hate it, being 1,2, or 3 short in a batch. I don't order brass in the quantities you do. I usually get 100 at a time.

Some folks say Winchester brass is better, but I prefer Remington, since they've served me well. I guess, I'm used to them.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    ...but I prefer Remington, since they've served me well. I guess, I'm used to them.
    They're gooduns too, but with a little different case capacity than Winnies. Same for all other brands. Being "used to" them is also a matter of having loads worked up for that particular brand of cases. I'm kinda stuck on Rem in a couple of calibers for which I couldn't get Winnies when I first started loading for a particular rifle. Today it's a matter of convenience to continue using Rems.

Notable is the 25-20. No Winnies in sight 20 years back, so I ordered up a batch of 500 from Midway in the days of lotsa bulk case and bullet offers for cheap (Remember those days?). Kinda overkill, because at the mild pressures of the 25-20, the cases just keep on ticking and never fail. Probably be shooting the same batch of cases the rest of my life, and I shoot the round lots.

Years back I found a whole case of Fed 30-30 brass in a shop going out of business and picked them up for $2 per box of 20. As a result you won't see anything but Fed going through my 25-35, 30-30 and 32. Probably for the rest of my life, too, because I'm not pushing max and the cases just keep on ticking without fail.

Come to think of it I'm probably in the same boat with 7 mag and Fed, but through finding a hot deal on factory loads a decade or more back, and since then gifts from a succession of friends moving out of state and unable to take ammo, each giving me anywhere from half a dozen to a dozen boxes of factory loads and once-fired. I have something north of 30 boxes of once-fired or factory loads sitting there waiting for my current batch of cases to be retired.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast