Thread: Yet another jet troubleshooting question...

Default Yet another jet troubleshooting question...

Anyone have any ideas:
    1995 Evinrude 40hp jet, runs great until it heats up (2-3 minutes), then sputters out and dies. I replaced the thermostat, plugs, fresh fuel. I can't get it in for a compression check for 1 month... what should I check until the shop can get me in?

My guess is you have sand or grass or some other blockage in the water pump. I have to drop the complete jet unit off mine at least once a year to unclog my water pump. What you describe is exactly what happens. You may also have sheared the woodruf key or whatever derivative your motor uses to secure the water pump impeller. If that doesn't turn out to be it I'd look at the temp sender and the oil level sender next, but the water pump is the most likely culprit.

Default H2O pump

...thanks for the quick reply. If the motor is peeing OK (which it is), does that rule out the water pump?

It isn't consistent with my water pump issues. Are you certain this is a heat-related issue and not a time-related one?

Have you made sure you don't have a fuel supply issue? If you pump the fuel bulb as it sputters does it make a difference? Is your fuel vent open?
    Last edited by Mr. Pid; 06-12-2007 at 11:29.

if you can, run the motor untill you get it warmed up and it quits. then pull your plugs right away and see if you have spark. if not then you need trouble shoot the electrical system ie: temp sensor, cdi, coils, if you have spark, then its a fuel issue

OK- fuel supply looks good, the bulb fills and tank is vented. Pumping it while it begins to die has no effect. Electrical looks OK, still sparks after it dies. I'm starting to think fuel pump or worn diaphragm or gasket.

Do you have just one carb? It could be as simple as a stuck float. Rap on the carb bowl with your dad's favorite ratchet and see if that helps. Tap on it as it's quitting, so that if this is the problem the float bowl will be empty.

Okay, the dad's favorite ratchet thing was a joke. It reminds me of my childhood.

That sounds like a stuck choke, my boat will do that if I forget to push the choke back in. Maybe it could also be a plug that isn't seated properly or has been stripped and is losing compression. Just ideas.

I'm kinda with HB on this one. How long do you have to wait before it will start up and run OK again? Double check the choke linkage to make sure it is connected and moves freely. Is it electric start with electronic choke? If so, the choke solenoid may not be releasing.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Mr.Pid Wins!!!

Looks like the choke was working fine... the problem was the carb- a stuck float! Nice work! No I'll get a carb rebuild kit and see how much I remember from 11th grade shop class.

GAC,

I'd say you're the winner. You've gotta love cheap and simple repairs! Good news!

Me? I'd run a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil in the next 5 gallons of gas. Your float will probably never stick again. I try to run some MMO through every motor's gas when it comes out of seasonal storage to dissolve the gunk in the fuel system and the crud in the ring grooves.

I never believed in that stuff until a friend did a head job on an old motor sprayed MMO on the carbon and swept it away the next day with a tooth brush. I put it in the oil and the gas, I have a 15 horse that is 24 years old will start first pull after first start all year.