Thread: 1975 Grunman 19ft Freight Canoe for sale $500

Default 1975 Grunman 19ft Freight Canoe for sale $500

Not mine. I just saw it on craigslist. I know nothing, but it might be a real prize for someone.
    http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/4665505080.html

things have changed alot over the years every one is using ATV to get into the back country now instead of the canoe's
    they were the cheepest way in the old days, still use them a lot up north but in South Central Alaska it is dieing a slow death
    I think, SID

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    things have changed alot over the years every one is using ATV to get into the back country now instead of the canoe's
    they were the cheepest way in the old days, still use them a lot up north but in South Central Alaska it is dieing a slow death
    I think, SID
    I think you are right Sid. I bet if people had to go back to canoe and mare's shank, there would be a lot less hunting pressure.

I think, SID
    X2 on that.
    I don't like to judge what works for others, but ATVs sure have impacted the back country. They have allowed people who would never have gotten back there otherwise (and probably shouldn't be) to be out there, littering, shooting illegal moose, etc.
    Of course that's a complete generalization, but the availability of financing for pretty much anyone with a pulse allows anyone with an opposable thumb to run an ATV. Power boats are more expensive, so that keeps the hordes out of that mode of transport (sort of), and sheer work keeps them away from canoes.
    There's a lot to be said for putting quietly along in a small freighter, lining where you have to.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

with a good frighter 15 HP an lift there is not many rivers that you would have to line SID

I think, SID
    pretty amazing where a couple young determined guys with good four wheelers and a chain saw can get anymore. The area I paid to get dropped this year had four wheeler tracks... a bit depressing.

it is called progress I think or something like that, passed years I would go by canoe behind Lake Tyone an now they come into the same area by 4X4 takes the a good day for them , but with high water it took me a good day also 7:00 AM to 5:30 PM an if low water it took 1 1/2 days,
    SID

it is called progress I think or something like that, passed years I would go by canoe behind Lake Tyone an now they come into the same area by 4X4 takes the a good day for them , but with high water it took me a good day also 7:00 AM to 5:30 PM an if low water it took 1 1/2 days,
    SID
    Yeah, progressing toward over-crowding.
    I used to dislike areas cut off from motorized traffic because it seemed like too much government restriction; now I prize those areas somewhat.
    I'd like to see HP limits on a lot more places. HP may help you rule the mountain or master the rapid, but it doesn't necessarily equate with being an outdoorsman. Certainly is not a substitute for it. I understand that there are a lot of responsible users out there, but the numbskulls ruin it for everybody. Quiet and remote (even though I am getting older and slower and not as able to access it) is a precious commodity nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Yeah, progressing toward over-crowding.
    I used to dislike areas cut off from motorized traffic because it seemed like too much government restriction; now I prize those areas somewhat.
    I'd like to see HP limits on a lot more places. HP may help you rule the mountain or master the rapid, but it doesn't necessarily equate with being an outdoorsman. Certainly is not a substitute for it. I understand that there are a lot of responsible users out there, but the numbskulls ruin it for everybody. Quiet and remote (even though I am getting older and slower and not as able to access it) is a precious commodity nowadays.
    HP restrictions, with respect to watercraft, might discourage a lot of folks from going a lot of places. It took me 6-1/2 hours to get back upriver last week, but I got passed by a lot of 9 hp boats who made the trip in probably an hour or less, or they made a much longer trip. HP restriction wouldn't really make sense where I was last week, but I bet there are other areas where it would.