Thread: advice on versatile shells?

Default advice on versatile shells?

Any good versatile shells for geese and ducks. I am having trouble getting a Canada goose. I've never been able to get one and it could be my rookie status but is their a versatile she'll that puts down geese and ducks? I know this sounds redundant but this is an honest question. How heavy should I but. I'm running a modified choke right now could that be the variable?

30-40 yards or closer working decoys= #2 or BBs
    40-60 yards pass shooting= BB/T shot

Modified is fine for closer birds..but go with full choke if out there. dont forget to check out the choke tubes on the market these days.

I just picked up my patternmaster..either Im going to miss them and throw it in the marsh or crush them...

Good luck.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post

Modified is fine for closer birds..but go with full choke if out there. dont forget to check out the choke tubes on the market these days.

I just picked up my patternmaster..either Im going to miss them and throw it in the marsh or crush them...

Good luck.
    What model choke?
    I got a code black duck. Like it

Extended Range 70. cant wait to see how it performs tomorrow.
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post

Good luck.

I saw my dream goose today it was gigantic and I think I need to get a new choke I saw feathers but had to light of shot I think. He wasn't mamed or injured But flew away quickly. I've never in my life seen a Canada that big. Thanks for the tip man...I missed Em today at cottonwood but it was more for my pup it was her first time
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice...yep if your guns shoots 3.5 shells. get a box of BBs or T shot just for that goose flying overhead. If under 50 yards and possibly longer with the right choke..you will break a wing or knock it down. Keep an eye on it as well Most often hunters hit the birds and know they did..feathers or sound. If you watch that bird fly away..keep an eye on it. I have seen them fly 1/4 mile and drop out of the sky stone dead.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by tons0fun View Post
    I saw my dream goose today it was gigantic and I think I need to get a new choke I saw feathers but had to light of shot I think. He wasn't mamed or injured But flew away quickly. I've never in my life seen a Canada that big. Thanks for the tip man...I missed Em today at cottonwood but it was more for my pup it was her first time

You can also look into bismuth, or tungsten shells. They are uber expensive, but will perform like lead. It should get you a little more range, and a little more knockdown power. Or you can do what I did, and buy a 10 gauge!
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

The last 3 years I've stuck to shooting everything with 3.5 #2s in my big 10. Took a chapter out of our buddy DucknDogs' play book for that one, "teal to pterodactyls, 3.5" 2s will do it". I shoot almost no cripples and the shells saved with one shot kills makes up for the added expense. That said I've killed a traincar full of greater Canada's, up to #16 with 2 3/4" 12s loaded with steel #6s. Get them close and shoot heads, small shot works like a meat grinder. Shooting at high flyers or pass shooting bigger shot is your friend. Just don't forget that unless you have a 3.5" ten or twelve gauge patterns will suffer if you get into the really large shot sizes, there aren't many Ts in a 3" 12ga shell and pattern density will be very low.