Thread: Homer trolling tips

Default Homer trolling tips

I'm relatively new to the trolling game out of Homer and have been having spotty luck at best. We caught a couple of silvers a few weeks ago out at silver ridge, but when we went back last weekend, it was pretty dead for us on Saturday. My wife did manage to catch a nice big silver near Seldovia when I found some birds working a bait ball. We had just finished with a little halibut fishing so I didn't set up the downriggers and instead just had her mooch a herring behind a 3 ounce weight near the birds. I've been seen pictures of lots of kings being caught recently and sure would like to catch my first one on the boat. I have a couple of questions I was hoping to get some help with.

1.) How do you manage trolling speed/direction on days with large tidal swings? I've read and heard that shooting for a 35-45 degree angle on your downrigger cable is a good indication of speed relative to water speed, but would sure appreciate some pointers.

2.) Are there preferred times to troll relative to high or low tide? I'm starting to get a handle on the difference between the tide books projected times (near shore) and the reality in spots a little further out.

3.) Would anybody be willing to share some areas that have been productive recently? I have a 22 foot Hewescraft and can run a fair distance, but I am fairly cautious with the weather too. If I don't hear from anybody I'll probably end up between Seldovia and Pogi hoping for the best tomorrow.

Thanks!

Pm sent, I won't be back out till Monday.

Bumb.... I also would like to get some info on this topic... Thank you

LSMT

You might want to talk to this guy.... http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...t=#post1426287
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    You might want to talk to this guy.... http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...t=#post1426287
    That “guy” is a total noob on King fishing Homer! Haha. But maybe in some ways my info is more relevant to newbies because of that.

The good news is we always seem to catch fish. The bad news is we never seem to match the performance of the veterans and guides. Duh!
    But to get started, there are plenty of areas you can catch the kings. Last weekend, we caught them from the Land’s end to the Green Buoy, Pederson Bay, Halibut Cover area, Bear Island, and by Yukon Island. They really are everywhere. But limiting out is tough for us.
    We’ve had the best luck in the past out by the bluffs and Flat Island in the past but weather didn’t allow.

As long as there is minimal pollock, I run bait. The smaller hoochies and spoons I prefer kayak fishing attracts too many small kings and pollock. You’ll still catch pollock, but the numbers seem to go down when using herring.

We have had our best luck lately fishing in 80 to 120 of water with the gear running 30 to 80 ft down depending on where we mark bait. For us, the best luck seems to come trolling against the current or perpendicular to it.

Typical gear is an 11 inch flasher and two hooks with herring or hoochies, If you don’t have a downrigger, I use deep six planers especially when the pollock are thick. But I will say last week we ran three downrigger lines and one planer, and while the planer got hit, the downriggers resulted in more action even when shallow.

The action from what I gather seems to be further offshore than normal. Not sure if the water temps are different. In years past, right off the spit, the kings are loaded with large sandlances this time of year. Not seeing that this year so far. The fish closer in have small immature sandlances or what looks to be capelin. Typical sandlance spawn occurs Oct 1, so you’d think they’d be more prevalent near shore.
    My limited experience has been its good productive fishing through November. But as temperatures drop, they fish go deeper and are a tad harder to find though they do put on weight all through the winter.

If you look around and troll where other boats are with the gear I listed above, I bet you have a great shot at landing one. We still haven’t figured out how to consistently land a full boat load, but we are getting there! Definitely give it a try! The eating quality of these kings are superior to any river bound fish!

So here’s my write up for the area for kayakers. Not really relevant to powerboaters but it gives you an idea of what I deal with from a kayak. And frankly, if a single guy floating around on an oversized piece of Tupperware can catch a few ( I caught a dozen off my kayak Oct-Nov in 2013) with a 22ft Hewscraft….Lol.

https://sites.google.com/site/kayakf...shery---how-to

I hope some veterans chime in! We could use the help as well!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    That “guy” is a total noob on King fishing Homer! Haha. But maybe in some ways my info is more relevant to newbies because of that.............

And frankly, if a single guy floating around on an oversized piece of Tupperware can catch a few ( I caught a dozen off my kayak Oct-Nov in 2013) with a 22ft Hewscraft….Lol.
    !
    Well that's kinda what I was thinking.......If you can do it (and you seem to do pretty good a lot of the time) then with just a little guidance I don't know why he couldn't.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Not Homer, but in any case this may "sensitize" you to details that matter, whether the details are the same there as here.

For winter fish, especially deep, the distance you have your rigs behind the downrigger wire matters. While in summer and shallower I tend to run them closer to the wire for a little faster action on the flasher, I drop them back lots further winter and deep. On my boat and at my trolling speeds with 13" flashers I do best with the rigs 2 boat lengths (40') behind the wire and trolling speeds down at or even below 2mph. Shorter and faster up shallow for a quicker flasher action. If you're using bigger herring, by all means use bigger flashers and smaller flashers with smaller herring. I only break out the 11" flashers when I drop down to green tray herring.

One other note: I regulate my trolling "speed" by watching the rod tips. The GPS may say more or less, but I'm looking for the rod tips to bounce about once per second. I speed up or slow down to get that when there are more or less currents. With no current that works out to about 2mph, but running into a strong current I may actually be back trolling in order to slow down to that pace. Going with a current (not my fave), the GPS may be saying I'm doing 3.5 or 4mph by the time I get that 1 second bounce.

Not saying those numbers are close to right for Homer. But watch the performance of your gear and make adjustments until you find what's right for you. Once you get that figured, it's pretty easy to go back out and match it up again.

Thank you for the quick info hopefully get out towards the end of October to see how well i can duplicate your advice!

LSMT

That's great advice brown bear. A lot of times you only know that you are dragging a pollock after you lose that "bounce".

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    My personal pages...I'm not a guide.

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    https://sites.google.com/site/kayakf...shery---how-to

I hope some veterans chime in! We could use the help as well!!!!!
    Awesome write up man!

Default Homer trolling tips

Well I suspect the veterans are probably smiling a bit watching our progress in this fishery. I tell Ya guys like captain Nemo and Shane on the Misty have this fishery dialed in. We struggle but perseverance sometimes pays off.

Day one, Got pretty much blown off but managed to hide in a cove and fish. A bunch of shakers and one small keeper maybe 8 pounds.

Day 2 we got out by the bluffs and had a double (landed both) and a triple takedown (2 for 3 landed). Mix in a few singles and we brought 7 keepers over 10 pounds to the boat. Avg weight might be 14 lbs. a couple of 5 to 8 pounders added to the mix for a great day (we had proxies).

Here's a video of us battling the triple takedown. How the triple was the only decent video I got...I'll never know.

Turn the volume down if a little head banging music is not your style. Not sure why I picked what I did....

http://youtu.be/3RSMzQu0TK8

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com

How's the fishing been out there? anyone been doing any good?

Quote Originally Posted by LSMT View Post
    How's the fishing been out there? anyone been doing any good?
    Went out with Josh Brooks on the Huntress today. Caught 15, though shook a few of the smallest ones. Four or five were in the 14-16 pound range, with my six year old pulling in a 20 pounder. A little rocky out there, but Josh sure put us on the fish!

Managed a small keeper off the kayak Sunday off the spit. A bunch of shakers. Did see a few boats land some better fish close in. Pollock were a lot thinner.

The drive was hell coming back with snow in the pass.

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com