Thread: How far up the Talkeetna?

Default How far up the Talkeetna?

Looking for past experiences with power boats way up the talkeetna. How far past disappointment creek can you go? Can you make it to Iron creek?

We didn't even make it to Disappointment Creek (what a disappointment ). The canyon right before it turned us back (we were in an open hull).

I went up Saturday and there is an impassable rapid at the appropriately named, Disappointment creek.

Didn't Steve Mahay run the Talkeetna canyon back 20 years ago? So it must not be completely impassable! haha

As the water drops getting around the rocks below Disappointment can get tricky...

------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    As the water drops getting around the rocks below Disappointment can get tricky...

LOL!!! That is awesome! You should send that pic to Glen. I take it you didn't get 'disappointed'?

Quote Originally Posted by 907north View Post
    I went up Saturday and there is an impassable rapid at the appropriately named, Disappointment creek.
    It's not impassable, just tricky. Rhett from Tri-Rivers has done the run as well. Don't do it in an open hull, way to easy to get swamped and not make it back alive.

Ya buddy!!! If anybody can do, you can. Fricken Awesome. Way to go T. I that this year or last? Did you get another boat?
    Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post

"Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Back in the '70s, I used to run as far as Iron Creek. Had a 22ft narrow Monark I could cartop carry and pushed it with a 25 Hp Johnson with jet, one of the first jet units in Alaska. Disappointment Creek was always a challenge, but worth it. Water beyond Iron Creek is nothing but rapids as the gorge gets pretty tight. Steve Mahay did run the canyon as great publicity for his big inboard jet.