Thread: Trout killer on Kenai

Angry Trout killer on Kenai

Wednesday afternoon I floated down the upper Kenai and was fishing a spot on the south shore about a mile or so above Jim's Landing. The only other people I saw were fishing opposite me on the highway side of the river. I watched on guy catch a large (>20") rainbow or dolly then proceed to drag it to the edge of the water. He kneeled down above the fish and another guy walks over and hands him something. I though the was just taking the hook out but he started gutting it, posed for a photo, and carried the fish back towards the road. I was outraged and saddened to see this happen to wild trout on the Kenai. A couple of people said I should have reported him. Do you think a trooper would respond to a 911 call about a fish killed on the river? I imagine this happens on a regular basis by ignorant selfish people who know they can get away with it. The fish will no doubt end up freezer burned or passed off to a friend or relative who don't like the flavor of trout

My guess is that the people had no idea of the law or that Rainbows are a conservation concern on the Kenai because they are routinely retained at so many other fisheries in Alaska and elsewhere.

Some people are clueless as to the difference between a put-and-take fisheries and those with wild populations so perhaps the best thing would be to politely inform them.

I have had this discussion with guests that I hosted from the lower 48 and kids who were born and raised here.

Unless I'm reading the regs wrong, retention of 1 under 18" is allowed, so ignorance of the size limit may be at play here. While the regs are the regs, I hardly think that the rainbow population in the Kenai can be considered anywhere near threatened or even a conservation concern.....it would be better for us to educate than bash the guy, and certainly not chicken little the loss of a rainbow from that river. The other thing, is that if the guy knew he was breakin the regs, nothing is going to stop him as he has a mentality that is beyond education.....which is why there are badges and ticketbooks.

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    Unless I'm reading the regs wrong, retention of 1 under 18" is allowed
    You read them a little wrong or are referring to a different stretch as the OP is concerned with. You can retain 1 rainbow under 16" in the upper river.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

A 911 call wouldn't be appropriate or get the response you need, but a call to the Troopers wildlife violation tip line might get you somewhere. 1-800-478-3377. They rely of folks reporting poaching or game/fish violations, and calling the report line has led to many citations over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    You read them a little wrong or are referring to a different stretch as the OP is concerned with. You can retain 1 rainbow under 16" in the upper river.
    OP said upper river and was around Jims. Is that still the upper? Just asking as I don't know.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Either way, 16 or 18 is semantics as the OP said it was more than 20 inches.....even the dollies seem to have a max size limit....sheesh......basically anything the guy caught that wasn't a salmon would have been non retainable at the estimated length.

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    OP said upper river and was around Jims. Is that still the upper? Just asking as I don't know.
    Yeah it is the upper per the fish and game regs. See page 50. The upper is the stretch of river from Kenai Lake to Skilak Lake.

I watched on guy catch a large (>20") rainbow or dolly

You don't know what species it was yet you wanted to dial 911. Could have been a silver for all you know. The limit is 3.

Either way, 16 or 18 is semantics as the OP said it was more than 20 inches.....even the dollies seem to have a max size limit....sheesh......basically anything the guy caught that wasn't a salmon would have been non retainable at the estimated length.
    Not if it was a whitefish
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

[QUOTE=Ninefoot Rod;1424319 The fish will no doubt end up freezer burned or passed off to a friend or relative who don't like the flavor of trout[/QUOTE]

Not to diminish the act of running afoul of the law, but what do you base this statement on?? I've known my fair share of jackpine savages over the years, fished with a few in fact, and calling them ignorant and selfish might be accurate enough, but most of them ate what they kilt.

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    Not if it was a whitefish
    This is true, but who actually knows that those things are good to eat anymore?....or even what they are.

This is true, but who actually knows that those things are good to eat anymore?....or even what they are.
    We bonk them all the time on the Kenai for food, but most of it is coveted for bait. We use it for lakers, burbot, and pike. It's one of the most consistent producers of whitefish here in S.C.

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    We bonk them all the time on the Kenai for food, but most of it is coveted for bait. We use it for lakers, burbot, and pike. It's one of the most consistent producers of whitefish here in S.C.

Still haven't caught a whitefish on the Kenai. What do you get them with? Beads or drys?

Release Lake Trout

The only thing I've caught or seen them caught on are beads. Largest I've personally caught was >20" in the upper Kenai.

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    The only thing I've caught or seen them caught on are beads. Largest I've personally caught was >20" in the upper Kenai.
    flesh and eggs work also, I have seen them caught all over the valley and on the Kenai………..I don't know how big they get around here, but we get them in our beach seine all the time in Naknek and most are well over 20".

I'm going to hazard a guess and say the estimated length was off.

You can't tell what species of fish it was- but you're saying it was greater than 20" from across the river?? How much over 20"? 2"? 6"? 1'?

Sorry, personally I'm gonna need better than that to call the popo.

I fish quite a bit, and if I can't tell you what species of fish a guy is holding, I'm **** sure not going to estimate a size.
    Heck, I can barely estimate size correctly standing in the shower....

Quote Originally Posted by icb12 View Post
    I'm going to hazard a guess and say the estimated length was off.

You can't tell what species of fish it was- but you're saying it was greater than 20" from across the river?? How much over 20"? 2"? 6"? 1'?

Sorry, personally I'm gonna need better than that to call the popo.

I fish quite a bit, and if I can't tell you what species of fish a guy is holding, I'm **** sure not going to estimate a size.
    Heck, I can barely estimate size correctly standing in the shower....

Ian I would rep you one,but I gotta share the love.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    Still haven't caught a whitefish on the Kenai. What do you get them with? Beads or drys?
    Mostly on beads and a few on flesh. The vast majority of my catch comes from the Middle Kenai. I've caught a few ice fishing in Skilak and Kenai Lake as well.