Thread: Moose Velvet Removal And Skullcap Clean

Default Moose Velvet Removal And Skullcap Clean

So I'm mostly a meat hunter, and have never gotten a mount done, but got a nice 62" moose here a couple days ago and have been thinking I want to clean the velvet off and whatnot and maybe get it mounted at some point. I don't have time to try to figure out how to do it myself, and don't really want to pay to get it mounted at the moment (unless its much less expensive to do so than I think it will be). Just want to have it cleaned up so it can sit in the shop without stinking the place up.

Is this something pretty much any taxidermist can handle? Any recommendations in the Eagle River or Anchorage area?

The velvet peels off easily. Just grab it and peel it off. Set outside for a while to wash the blood of and your good to go.
    That said any taxi can do it.....but so could your neighbor kid for $10- and an hours time.
    BK

Any chance of the antler underneath still being soft and spongy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, some of it is pretty well stuck on there, seems like. Maybe I'll take another stab at it this evening before taking it somewhere. Thanks.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

If you can soak it somehow for a couple hours, the velvet will loose up a bit. Also, if you have a way to submerge the rack in a lake/pond for a few days, that will help leach some of the remaining blood out of the antlers.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    If you can soak it somehow for a couple hours, the velvet will loose up a bit. Also, if you have a way to submerge the rack in a lake/pond for a few days, that will help leach some of the remaining blood out of the antlers.
    This is good advice! Soak for a couple days, the velvet will peel off and you should have minimal blood staining.
    In Nature's Image Taxidermy and Game Calls
    Palmer

Carwash or pressure washer work like a champ. Start off at a distance and get close as needed. Can cause damage if you get to close.

Pressure washer will even flesh a cape.. youtube it.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/