Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Respect for other hunters

Default Respect for other hunters

I thought I would throw this out there to see what other Alaska Hunters would do.. If you are flying out or you have an outfitter fly you out for a hunt and you see a small lake with a camp already set up what would you do? 1) Go ahead and land and set up your camp. 2) if you are an outfitter, tell the clients that someone is already set up and hunting the area and take them elsewhere. or 3) If you are the outfitter go ahead and land and drop them off.

Go someplace else. If its a big lake and you can hunt separate areas, I would consider landing and setting up camp but it would have to be a big lake and big area.. I've been dropped on a lake with other camps and inferring or being interfered with on a stalk is definitely problematic.

Only "ONE" other camp.........Wow'zer. That sounds like a good situation by today's standards. We are running out of places to be alone on a fly-in hunt. TOO many humans.

To answer the question, Put me in there on that small lake. And I will establish my camp on the highest knoll about a mile away.

If I REALLY wanted to hunt the area I would check to make sure it was really a camp & not a blue tarp & cheap tent someone left there to "reserve" the spot. Happens way too often. If it was a legit camp I would go elsewhere.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

This is a tough one and I can think of other variables. Starting with........if, there are other suitable locations a respectable distance away....then yes, I go elsewhere. However, if the flight in shows a mosaic of camps on all the other landable lakes, and that lake is big enough that all groups have a sufficient area to roam without meeting each other, I'd have to bite the bullet and land in there, really wouldn't feel good about it, but if I was squeezed as described, I'd do it. And, if I ran into someone from the other party, I'd definitely explain that I am not a schmuck, just that things were tight in the area, and work out a plan so that feathers don't get too ruffled.

My group hunts on a couple of BIG lakes, of which we focus on about two miles of shoreline, good area behind camp, and some other good meadows about a mile on either side. That said, if someone set up a camp within that zone, I'd be peaved since there are many other good areas around, if they are simply in sight, but in an area that I am unlikely to go anyway, so it goes. Not that when the calling starts we wouldn't be drawing animals right through their camp, but that's just the breaks when one doesn't own the world.

Definitley a bummer when you round the corner and there's a camp in your spot, but we've also had that lead us to some new and productive options as well.

Depends.... I would request to be taken elsewhere if I felt the number of animals in the area was not adequate for two camps.

If there were lots of animals, I would not mind being dropped in the vicinity. Anyone who hunts alaska understands they will likely meet up with other hunters. You can either make the best of it, or you can be miserable and grumpy about it.

This last week I was making a stalk on a grizz and en route met up with a couple of other hunters who were in the area. I was fully prepared to give them the stalk on that bear if they had seen it. They had not (though admitted if they had, they would definitely be after him), and my hunting partner and I continued on.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Quote Originally Posted by JuliW View Post
    Depends.... I would request to be taken elsewhere if I felt the number of animals in the area was not adequate for two camps.

If there were lots of animals, I would not mind being dropped in the vicinity. Anyone who hunts alaska understands they will likely meet up with other hunters. You can either make the best of it, or you can be miserable and grumpy about it.

This last week I was making a stalk on a grizz and en route met up with a couple of other hunters who were in the area. I was fully prepared to give them the stalk on that bear if they had seen it. They had not (though admitted if they had, they would definitely be after him), and my hunting partner and I continued on.
    Interesting aspect. Certainly for caribou or deer where densities can be high and you are either on em or your not.....one could expect a little tighter quarters. For moose I would be very leery as there is almost never enough of those buggers around in a tight area, and your calling spreads even further to your effect overlap of hunting activities.

Lotsa animals or not though, I'd definitely work hard to try somewhere else if there were options, too many folks would mess with my experience, and I'd rather not be the reason that theirs was messed with either.

Crikey!
    Ain't no hole deep enough to get away from other people. Makes me wish I'd stayed home.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I flew into unit 359 with my brother years ago and there was a camp where we planned to hunt. We had a permit for 358 also, so we went to the opposites end of the lake and hunted there. If you want a particular spot.....get there first. I would really dislike someone dropping in on me.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by JuliW View Post
    I'm waiting for "The Rest Of The Story" :-)
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Catch it. How do I know if I'm setting up my camp in "your 2 miles of shoreline".

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    I'm waiting for "The Rest Of The Story" :-)
    Hopefully I will get a chance to write it up this weekend.. Playing catch up at the shop
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

The lake is about 200 yards long. I went and talked to the hunters and they said that they saw our camp that we set up the day before (weathered out to get back to it) pilot asked them if they wanted another lake and chose to get dropped off anyway. I held in the temper and had a long chat with them. Headed out today and will update the post after the hunt. I agree that there are a lot of hunters these days but then Again there are how many lakes in Alaska? As well as other hunting areas? Been hunting the area for several years and hopefully knowledge of area prevails. Be safe out there everyone! Thanks for the input

Quote Originally Posted by sambuck12 View Post
    Catch it. How do I know if I'm setting up my camp in "your 2 miles of shoreline".

I said nothing of the sort, and before jumping my behind, you ought to know that to put quotes around something I never said is ignorant and inflammatory.

What I said was (and I can use quotes here, because it's what I said)

"My group hunts on a couple of BIG lakes, of which we focus on about two miles of shoreline, good area behind camp, and some other good meadows about a mile on either side. That said, if someone set up a camp within that zone, I'd be peaved since there are many other good areas around,"

I said I'd be peeved, not that I'd storm in and send warning shots off their port bow. Also, as they are big lakes, our camp is hardly hidden, with bright colored tents and a couple boats parked in front. For me, if I was to enter that or other areas and I had the room to give other hunters that buffer, I'd stay that far away as well if I could. Not sure what your beef on this is as I thought I was being pretty cool and live and let live, just that I didn't exactly like it.

Another quote:

"so it goes. Not that when the calling starts we wouldn't be drawing animals right through their camp, but that's just the breaks when one doesn't own the world.

Definitley a bummer when you round the corner and there's a camp in your spot, but we've also had that lead us to some new and productive options as well."

Your issue is...........?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Moose hunting out of Minto many years ago, we flew out and got camp set up late in the afternoon mid way through the season. The next morning, a plane lands on the slough and taxi's up to the shore about 200 yards from our camp. We worked our way over to them, and it was an outfitter dropping of his assistant to set up their moose camp. He told us that they hunt this area all the time, and that they were setting up, regardless of our camp. They tried to press us into telling them who dropped us off there. The assisstant spent the next 4 hours running a chainsaw to get firewood, poles for the wall tents etc. We were pretty disappointed to say the least, thinking our hunt was a bust as we obviously had no way to move out of the area, but we tried to make the best of it. He shut off the chainsaw around 7 in the evening, so we decided to try and call a bit...wouldn't you know it, 30 minutes later a bull steps out 150 yards from their camp. Moose are where ya find 'em, so that's where we laid him down. The assistant guide walked over and we chatted a bit. I won't say he was overly happy, but we chatted a bit and he did congratulate us and we proceeded to get to work.

We would have preferred to have the whole place to ourselves, but sometimes it all just works out anyways.

Glad that one worked out, was it a non-res shooter type of bull?......I would have loved to see that guy's face.

And, yet another story of chainsaw's meaning didley squat in moose camp....maybe even helping.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    Glad that one worked out, was it a non-res shooter type of bull?......I would have loved to see that guy's face.

And, yet another story of chainsaw's meaning didley squat in moose camp....maybe even helping.
    It was only a 45in bull, but it was my first...and I was thrilled!! This was way back in the early 90s. He tried to make me feel bad about it, saying they "never shoot them that small"...but that didn't bother me a bit.

Like others, I would prefer to be dropped elsewhere if that was an option. If not, step #1 would be going to talk to the people in the established camp so that we could devise a plan to not step on toes. I ran into this on my DCUA sheep hunt a week and a half ago. When I got to the end of the trail I was intending to hunt, I quickly discovered a tent just over the ridge. I went over and talked with the family and discovered that they were intending to hunt the same two valleys that I was aiming for. Knowing this, I packed up my gear and hiked three valleys over. I set up my tent there, and no sooner did I pound the last stake in than another two hunters came walking out of the valley above my tent. They came over to talk to me, and I discovered that they were on their way out and they graciously shared the intel they had gathered over the course of their hunt. Of course I was hoping to be alone, but by talking with each other all groups involved had plenty of space to hunt and really helped one another in the process. Turns out that I needed a mechanical rescue from the first group of hunters I encountered, and at that point I was pretty darn happy to not have the place to myself.

Had this happen back in 2012. Used an Alaskan hunt planner for our moose hunt (my 71 year old father and I). When our transporter crested the last hill and "our" lake came into view we could see the wake from a float plane that had landed there minutes before us. We didn't want to be dropped on top of someone else, so we asked to move down the valley. The pilot found 3 lakes big enough to land on and buzzed each so we could look. We picked the lake and spent 10 days hunting. The camping spots were horrible and moose were scarce. I blame no one as this is on public land and !#it happens. Mostly felt bad for my dad since it was his first and last moose hunt. We still made great memories (shooting a wolf helped )
    "One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"
    Jose Ortega y Gasset, Meditations on Hunting.

We had so many caribou running thru our camp on the Killick we actually called our air service to let them bring in more hunters...er,...and some beer. How many caribou can you kill?
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast