Thread: Another newbie situation

Default Another newbie situation

Here's my story... the wife and I are avid hunters. The one thing we have never hunted is duck. We both have wanted to start hunting ducks, but had no clue where to start. Well we decided to stop wishing and start hunting. If we don't have someone to show us the ropes for something, I'm the one that researches and learns every aspect of doing something new, and I am really picky about it. However, this time, we decided that she would be the one that would learn everything there is to know about duck hunting and then teach me. It is KILLING me to stay disconnected from learning anything about duck hunting before I go into the field, but I am keeping a distance and I will let her lead us both to feast or famine.

She has done a ton of research, read countless things, and even attended the Advanced Becoming an Outdoors Women - Duck Hunting class. The one thing I do know, is that she is not a member on here and does not know how to use it as a resource. As such, I am going behind her back to post this (I know, bad right). So here goes... we have ATVs, a retriever, and we can hike for miles. We have no problem hiking many miles for a descent place. My only question relates to location suggestions (which I will only toss out to her as a suggestion of, "I heard XXX may be a good place to hike our butts off for a duck" if her first couple places result in goose eggs). Knowing the situation, where would you recommend a good place to start?

I fully expect a steep learning curve here and I'm kind of excited to see how well she handles it and "teaches" me to hunt ducks. Even a single duck on any outing will be reason for a party when we are done! And if you have a wife or girlfriend that loves duck hunting and would be willing to take someone under their wing, let me know... although I'm not sure how I would tell her I was creeping on here without her knowing.

I appreciate any help.

Sounds like a great time is ahead for the both of you. Never seen this angle before.. So keep her on the string..
    if your on here and have the knowledge to use this device, then you are just a few clicks away to a ton of information. Research this forum and use the search key. There is a lot to learn about chasing our feathered friends.
    Another great place to get connected to Waterfowlers is to link up with some more experienced people in the sport. It's a short season and research should have started months ago.
    Have fun searching the forum and take notes.. Tell her you heard about AWA and they might be able to help. We have some great members who are die hard Waterfowlers. In turn, Alaska is limited to good waterfowling areas, access is not easy and not everyone is going to share knowledge. So it's imperative that she continues in the quest.

Good of luck and if she has specific questions, have her give me a call. I'll steer her in the right direction toward gear, techniques, decoys and spreads, along with allot of other helpful information. But don't call and ask for spots.. due diligence makes it that more rewarding..

good of luck and hope to see you on the marsh.
    Hugh
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

PM sent that contains super secret public spots used by dozens of people.

If you really want to hike your butts off then the Anchorage Coastal Wildlife Refuge would be the place to start.

LOL.....thats funny

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    PM sent that contains super secret public spots used by dozens of people.

If you really want to hike your butts off then the Anchorage Coastal Wildlife Refuge would be the place to start.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

OK, I felt guilty. I told her tonight, "don't be mad at me..." words that often get a wife's mind turning. Then I told her that I posted a short question on here for plan B spots to try in case her searching didn't pan out. So because of that, she has now asked to watch this thread.

I suggest you stop reading and hit some of the spots you have been told about. If you are not careful, all will be frozen and ducks will be headed south. Can happen anytime from the first week of Oct to Nov 1, so be prepared. Good luck and welcome to the forum. Bud
    Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    I suggest you stop reading and hit some of the spots you have been told about. If you are not careful, all will be frozen and ducks will be headed south. Can happen anytime from the first week of Oct to Nov 1, so be prepared. Good luck and welcome to the forum. Bud
    Agreed went out to cottonwood and the birds aren't flying and the ones that do fly are supper warry