Thread: Shore power installation... Who would you recommend?

Default Shore power installation... Who would you recommend?

I am putting shore power connection ( outlet/panel/4 bank battery chargers) in my aluminum boat and I am mental about complying to ABYC standards. The boat sits in the harbor all summer and it would be bad have any stray current corrosion that caused damage. In the past it has been tough finding someone reputable & knowledgeable to help with marine electronics installations. Who would you recommend to do this install?

I have used several people in the past to help wire chartplotters, sonar, battery switches, etc but haven't found anyone that I liked. The only boat mechanic I trust I found through recommendations on this forum (AKgravelpumper/John) he is great! Now that I am looking for a marine electrician I'm hoping you guys can come through with some good recommendations again.

Thanks,
    Deak

If you are as mental as you sound about complying to ABYC standards, Dave at Heavy Weather Boats is your man. BTW to just let you know the shore power insulation can be perfect and you will still have a problems with stray current corrosion. Adding a Galvanic isolator and isolation transformer will help.

I would second the recommendation for Dave at Heavy Weather. Solid, down to earth guy and he knows his stuff.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Dave / Heavy Weather Boats

Thanks for the Advice/Recommendation last year. I had Dave do the shorepower install and was so pleased with the work that I had him change/fix a bunch of other things on my wish list. He gave me plenty of great advice and fixed a wiring issue that caused all my most of my electronics to have "low power errors". All the equipment is running better now and battery seems to last longer because the low power warnings are no longer premature.

Dave also fabricated a motor storage mount for the 3.5 hp outboard that I use for my inflatable. The mount is removable and when I don't bring the motor fishing it can be used to hold 2 fishing poles/net/harpoon. I'll post some pictures if anyone is interested but need to get the boat out of storage before I can point a camera at it.

I highly recommend Dave for electrical or welding work.

Deak

If you don't know Dave has move to a new location @ 6411 Arctic. If you go there be sure and look at a new boat he building it 32x15ft boat. If you think that impressive wait until I tell you he building it UP—SIDE—DOWN! I think he said it will be flips over in the next few days.

You could check with Bay-Weld. They are finishing boats that were started by another builder. Their electrical guy is great!!!!