Thread: scalpel blades

Default scalpel blades

I am working on a bear. A entire box of 100 scalpel blades seems to have disappeared after I had some people at the house. Consequently I'm short of bigger blades. Does anyone know of a local source for blades? I am going to order some more on line but they take awhile to get here and I really want to get done with this.

You might try home depot or Lowes for exacto blades.. not sure if they will work on a regular scalpel. I don't keep them at the shop as I prefer knives for exactly the reason you are looking for some.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

There's a medical supply place on Int. Airport Rd. I've bought standard and large size scaple blades from them in the past.

You might try cabelas or sportsmans for a Havalon, same idea. I did a moose hid with about 6 blades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the #22's and order them 1,000 at a time from Ebay. You could also call Mckenzie taxidermy supply and get a box of Havels sent here in about three days. If you are in a real bind I could swap you a box till yours come in. Im in Palmer.
    In Nature's Image Taxidermy and Game Calls
    Palmer

Thanks for the info. There's only one medical supply place left on International Airport that I could find and they do not sell blades. Cabela's didn't have any replacement Havalon blades last week, I'll try Sportsman's. Thanks for the offer Hughiam, if I was closer I'd take you up on it. I got the face turned so I think I can do the rest with a couple knives. The other bear is in the freezer until I have time and blades at the same time.

You can also try Barney's for the Havalon blades.

Not sure what size you are looking for but Bass Pro has #60's for both Hav's and Gerber's. If not I have a dozen #60 for mine.