Thread: Anchorage reloaders?

Question Anchorage reloaders?

Does anyone know where I can buy custom reloads in the anchorage area? I'm looking for someone to reload 8mm-06 ammo for me. Thanks

Bary's Ammo used to do that sort of thing, not sure he is still around. I have some dies I can loan you for 8mm/o6....

I appreciate the offer, but living in a small apartment, I don't want to bring up my reloading equipment

Man, you got a bigger set then me. I would NEVER let anyone else reload for me. IMO it just isn't worth the risk. I would use factory ammo (cringe) before I would use handloads made by anyone but me.

oz
    il vaut mieux Ítre bon que la chance

Quote Originally Posted by ozhunter View Post
    Man, you got a bigger set then me. I would NEVER let anyone else reload for me. IMO it just isn't worth the risk. I would use factory ammo (cringe) before I would use handloads made by anyone but me.

oz
    Well, for what it's worth to you I've handloaded over 1000 thousand rounds of ammo for others and it has been used by hunters all over the world. I was at one time the sole source for loading date for two dozen calibers and have developed load data for many wildcats that had never been made before. I have a long list of clients that will only use my handloads in their very expensive double rifles. I have set up testing labs for two ammo companies here in the US and I do know a little about measuring pressures and ballistic testing. My test facility is geographically sandwiched between a major bullet maker, a powder maker, a brass company and ammo manufacturer, so I am familiar with the process. I believe I've loaded over a million rounds of ammo, so I'll say I've had little experience at it. If you are a factory ammo shooter you;ve probably shot ammo that I developed the recipe for, even though I didn't load it.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Murphy:
    I have only loaded for a close friend or two, or a relative. When I have loaded for a rifle, I have always required the rifle so that I can insure that the bullet has clearance off the lands.

Since you have handloaded for extensively for others, how do you handle this? Do you use their rifle, and for the above reason?

No, I'm not considering handloading for others. I just wondered how you handle things of this nature.

ozhunter:
    It seems like every time I run across someone elses handloads, they are such a mess that I wouldn't even want to be around when they were fired.

I broke my rule (only one time) and fired 2 rounds of some unknown source, and I learned my lesson. Never again. The primers were flattened big time, enough to know that the were unsafe in my rifle.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Smitty,

I very definately would prefer to have the gun to load for it. With some rather obscure wildcats it is a necessity. Chambers can very a lot and still be called by the same name. When loading for any standard caliber I can load to SAAMI deminsions, just as factory ammo is loaded. This isn't the best performance some times but is the only way to do it. I only use new brass when loading without the rifle and in some calibers I'll fireform the brass then load. For others it is strictly new brass only. Most of my ammo now is for these odd calibers or wildcats or a newly created custom calibers and most want me to develop load data for them to load later. This is what I prefer. I'm doing a 416 and a 338 Ruger now. (Based on the 375 Ruger case.)

I've seen a lot of crappy reloads too and wouldn't blame any one for not firing them. When using fired brass I always polish it to new luster and very few people can ever tell the difference between handloads and factory by the appearance, certainly not when using new brass. I even have tools to cannelure jacketed bullets and often order bullets without cannelure or specify where to put the cannelure for correct overall length and crimp. Many bullet makers will customize when you buy in quantitiy directly from the manufacturer. This isn't cheap but most people who use this service aren't interested in mill run Wal-Mart ammo anyway. Quality and precision are the only things that count.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Murphy:
    Thanks for taking the time.
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default The benefits of expertise

Murphy,

To borrow a phrase from some guy on this board: You're doin' it right.

Your expertise, though, illustrates the extreme. I also know folks who'll make dinner for anybody with a press in exchange for some ammo. The only gas leak I've ever been physically present for was one of these. Asked about the handloads in the rifle, the owner said. "I don't know. I just had him load up some max loads for me."

Gotta know the person loading for you, and how careful that person is.