Thread: Getting bloodstains off caribou antlers

Default Getting bloodstains off caribou antlers

Anybody have any solid techniques?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Are they bloodstained because they were in velvet when it was killed? If so, I've tried a dozen or so times with no luck. I always ended up painting them with an off white (bone colored?) latex paint, then treat with potassium permanganate to get a more natural look.

I stripped mine and immediately soaked them in a river. The blood washed off and I only had a little off pink coloring here and there. Over time they dried out and have turned mostly white. I plan on doing the coffee grounds staining technique to get the "hard horned" look. If the stains aren't too dark, you may be able to just stain them after the antlers full dry. I would ask a Mod to move this to the Taxidermy sub forum. Lots of experience frequent there.

AZinAK

I had a pair a few years ago in very loose velvet when I shot it. I pulled off velvet and then scrubbed them with dish soap and warm water using a light to medium coarse scotch brite pad. Similar to a post above, they've since bleached a bit more with time.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Leave them outside for a few months, they will turn white and no work is necessary.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by AZinAK View Post
    I stripped mine and immediately soaked them in a river. The blood washed off and I only had a little off pink coloring here and there. Over time they dried out and have turned mostly white. I plan on doing the coffee grounds staining technique to get the "hard horned" look. If the stains aren't too dark, you may be able to just stain them after the antlers full dry. I would ask a Mod to move this to the Taxidermy sub forum. Lots of experience frequent there.

AZinAK
    I did a huge deer rack that was bleached from hanging outside. I used tree branches and rubbed just like the deer would have done. Could not possibly look more natural.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

As long as their not too bad just stain them, they will look just fine.

Scrubbed with soapy water

After staining

Quote Originally Posted by Thebear_78 View Post
    As long as their not too bad just stain them, they will look just fine.

Scrubbed with soapy water

After staining
    +1,, just leave them and stain over. The blood will turn dark just as it does naturally.

Stained these with Spruce sap.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I haven't done a caribou but I've taken blood out of moose antlers. I picked up some magnesium carbonate powder from Van Dykes Taxidermy Supply. You'll also need some 40% peroxide (available at some hair salon supply stores) and some plastic wrap. Put some of the mag. carbonate powder in a bowl, slowly pour in the peroxide and mix into a paste. Cover the antlers with the paste then wrap the antlers with plastic wrap. Let the paste sit for a day and dry. Brush off the dried paste and see how well it did. Repeat the process if needed.

I found the blood pulled out of the lighter blood soaked areas in the first application. The heavier blood areas took additional coatings.

soak in an IronOut solution(or Yellow Out), then dye or stain to please the eye

Chris