Thread: Tried to buy some gear I needed in anchorage...

Default Tried to buy some gear I needed in anchorage...

All I really wanted were a couple Brad's plugs in "blue hawaiin", bulk unrigged two pack. Ulmers had been out so I figured me and the boy would hit a couple places in the big city. Bass pro was too far out of my way, won't go to cabelas so we hit B&J and mountain view. B&J didn't have the color I wanted, but we bought some jig heads and bodies and some cool pike hooks for ice fishing this winter. Mountain view didn't have the color I wanted, but did have another I liked so I bought a two-pack.
    I suppose the point of the post is that EVERYTHING I wanted is cheaper in Homer. Jig heads were less, bodies nearly half the cost, and a two-pack of plugs is 9.99 here and 11.99 in anchorage.
    We noticed this across the board, any items we could get in Homer or soldotna were cheaper than in anchorage. The few things we couldn't get closer to home didn't matter because there was no comparison.
    (And by the time I got home Ulmers had "blue Hawaiian" for $9.99)
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Whats wrong with Cabelas?

Expensive, doesn't have what I need, and has too much of what I don't. Just a PITA to shop there when I can get whatever they do have that I need online.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Ah I see. I haven't been to the one up there.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Sportsman's warehouse would have been worth stopping at.

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Tried to buy some gear I needed in anchorage...
    Anchorage...? Is that down near Palmer somewhere?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Sportsman's warehouse would have been worth stopping at.
    I agree, Sportsman's has pretty much everything. If you're from out of town and not so dialed in on store locations, it may seem that things are "out of the way", but there's nothing in Anchorage you can't get to in 15 minutes...usually much less. From Sportsman's, there's a Walmart, Fred Meyer, Cabelas and a fly shop within an easy 5 minutes. Bass Pro couldn't be more than 5 minutes from B&J and has a better selection and much better service

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    We noticed this across the board, any items we could get in Homer or soldotna were cheaper than in anchorage.
    Same in Kodiak. For that matter you can go almost anywhere and beat Cabelas prices. Kinda nice to visit a big box and paw the selection to make up your mind, but they have to pay for all those big new stores somehow. With so many free shipping options online and lower prices in locally owned stores around the state, pawing the merchandise is about the only reason to go to one of the biggies.

every one has there likes an dislikes , the big box stores I like there is a larger selection on all that I need or want SID

My policy is AAAAC (avoid Anchorage at all costs). It is sometimes necessary for me to venture there for business and family obligations, or to pass through, but I come and go as fast as I possibly can. There is very little in Anchorage that I can't get locally or on-line... or at a garage sale.

I've been price comparing several guns and a lot of fishing tackle lately. Bass Pro seems to be higher on everything of interest to me. Was joking with an associate there yesterday that I jut dropped by to visit the museum. He said it is quite the phenomenon to have a tour bus offload a slug of people that stagger around taking pictures of the mounts...then leave.

If the Gear Shed wasn't such a long drive, I wouldn't buy tackle or boating supplies in Anchorage.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Amazon.com will send me Brad's Blue Hawaiian plugs for $4.50 each in two days with zero additional shipping cost with my Prime Membership.

http://www.amazon.com/Brads-Killer-F...+blue+hawaiian

They'll even sell me live bait. 1" crickets are available for $0.026 each.

http://www.amazon.com/1000-Live-Cric...words=crickets