Thread: 911 and the conclusion of a moose hunt.

Default 911 and the conclusion of a moose hunt.

Tomorrow is September 11'th (Patriot Day).

The 9-11 attack did not really happen on September 11'th, well at least for myself and two others it did not happen.

The first I/we heard of it was on the 20'th when the pilot picked us up from a remote wilderness Alaska lake in game unit #11 near the Canadian/Alaskan border.

The pilot a man in his 70's started telling us about stuff that was not believable, and the more he told, the more unbelievable (Surreal) the situation was, to the point I thought he was insane to fabricate such lies. It was only watching a 70 y/o man weep as he informed us, that offered any clue that it was true.
    "The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."

My dad was in a similar situation. He was out hunting on 9/11 so didn't have any communication to know what happened. He called my mom on a sat phone a day or so later and she explained it to him. All he knew was that the skies got really quite. They were across from Fairbanks, so there is usually a lot of air traffic, but not after they grounded all flights. He said it was a little eerie because he could tell something seemed wrong, but wasn't quite sure what.

Kenai Peninsula, Alaska

My son and I were nestled in our bags in the tent on a moose hunt when it all went down. I called in to the wife on the FRS radios around noon and she explained what had happened....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I was at the cabin and woke up and turned on the tube and was shocked out of bed. There was a couple of gaurdsmen that were up the night before and they camped about a mile west of me, so I thought I'd better let them in on what was going on-------"so- were hunting, don't get cell service, as long as we don't get a order let it play out." -----That was kinda wrong if you asked me.

Big Lake

I had a German client pass up a 70" bull that morning, then checked in at the lodge and heard we'd been invaded. (No one had any details yet) we were perplexed and went back out, passed up a low 50" that night...weird day looking back on it.
    Master guide 212