Thread: Backcountry Archery Target

Question Backcountry Archery Target

Has anybody ever taken any sort of target into the backcountry to check their sights while hunting? I'm going on an archery sheep hunt next month and wondering what the best method to check my gear is once I get to base camp and occasionally throughout the hunt to make sure I haven't bumped anything while climbing up and down the mountains. I know in some locations you might be able to find a rotten stump or clump of moss to shoot into, but I'm doubtful I'll be able to find something suitable on the rocky mountain side.

I'll have a practice arrow or two with me, so it won't be the end of the world if they break because I'll still have my hunting arrows, but obviously I'd prefer not to kamakazi my arrows if I can avoid it. I'm thinking maybe a couple blocks of 2" insulation board glued together (say 8"x8"x8") or just fill a small box full of spray foam insulation. It wouldn't stop the arrow dead, but I'm thinking the kinetic energy would be put into 'tossing' the block around instead of driving the arrow into the ground behind the target. Being cheap, lightweight, and flamable (so I can burn in place instead of packing it back out) would be nice as well.

Anybody have any thoughts or experience on the subject?

Thanks,
    -Steven

What about an empty cardboard box folded flat and you could open it, tape together and fill it with soil/peat on location. Just a thought I'm not a bowhunter.

Ya, with a compund that's a tuffy. I like the box filled with peat and such. I'm a recurve guy so I just carry 2 stump thumpers and shoot a couple shots every morning on the hike in.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Take a heavy duty trash bag, stuff it with more bags (wal-mart/freddys plastic grocery sacks). Make it whatever size you need but stuff it pretty good. Tie up the heavy duty trash bag and you have yourself a great disposable, light target.
    BK

and the Cardboard target makes a good firestarter too.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Thanks for the ideas guys. I'd heard of the plastic bag idea before, but I'm not sure I could make a small enough target and still get the stopping power out of it. The cardboard box is an interesting concept.

Maybe I can use the bags/box filled with something and then shoot the rubber blunt arrows into it...again on the same logic of bouncing the arrow instead of penetrating the target. I wonder if I could shoot the blunts at a canvas sack filled with my extra hunting clothes. Might try that one at home...With non-essential clothing items first!

Steven,

You are wise to want to check your bow sight after the rigors of travel to your hunt area. I have two suggestions for you. I use a heavy rubber mat that is sold as floor material for horse trailers as a back stop in my backyard target. I have cut small sections out of that mat and used double, or triple, thickness to make a transportable field target. That target can easily fit inside my bow case and also will easily fit inside my backpack where the water bladder or foam stiffener normally fits. It adds little weight to my set up. An advantage to carrying that along is that I can also use it to kneel on, or sit on, when the ground is wet. My second suggestion is to Google "Grizz Targets." A small mom and pop operation located in Alberta, CA, they have a variety of dense foam targets. They are great folks to deal with and their small, transportable, target is ideal for back country use. It also makes a nice comfy seat to keep your butt dry as you sit and glass.

You might try using judo points instead of thumpers.

I can just see you shooting a hole in a brand new set of Kuiu Yukon jacket and pants........OUCH. I bet they are not that tough.

I don't think it'd be that hard to find something out there to shoot at. Sheep gotta eat something. They can't eat rocks. All of the sheep country I've been in there was plenty of tussocks in the valleys to shoot at. If not the little grassy outcropings the sheep like to lay out on should have something to shoot at.

Thanks for the ideas guys...I have so playing around to do in the next few weeks to see if I can come up with something. Thanks!