Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Predator Calling Specifically for Bears

Default Predator Calling Specifically for Bears

Greetings!

I have been calling black bear in Arizona using hand-calls for the past 20 years and have called bears in every year without fail. Calling bears is my primary hunting passion and I have always dreamed of calling bears in Alaska. Thus, I am curious if anyone purposely or regularly predator calls for bears in Alaska?

I am finally taking a trip to Soldotna next October to visit my friend who is a resident. I plan on calling off the Swanson River area for black bear and my friend will be hunting with me just in case a brownie decides to show up. Obviously, I will not be calling right up along the river, nor in any areas where people who are fishing would hear me screaming away at my calls. Hoping to take two black bears in a week of hunting if weather and bears cooperate! Is it a valid concern to worry about brownies in the area during the first week of October? Or are they sparsely populated in that area compared to the black bears?

Thanks for any responses.

Quote Originally Posted by kidso View Post
    Is it a valid concern to worry about brownies in the area during the first week of October? Or are they sparsely populated in that area compared to the black bears?
    Sure.........it's a valid concern in Oct. Anywhere there are known to be a good amount of brown bears, such as the Kenai, there is always the possibility of calling one in. You might want to find a nice tree to climb up into while doing so.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Brown bears are thick in that area. Get some!

Greetings!

I have been calling black bear in Arizona using hand-calls for the past 20 years and have called bears in every year without fail. Calling bears is my primary hunting passion and I have always dreamed of calling bears in Alaska. Thus, I am curious if anyone purposely or regularly predator calls for bears in Alaska?

I am finally taking a trip to Soldotna next October to visit my friend who is a resident. I plan on calling off the Swanson River area for black bear and my friend will be hunting with me just in case a brownie decides to show up. Obviously, I will not be calling right up along the river, nor in any areas where people who are fishing would hear me screaming away at my calls. Hoping to take two black bears in a week of hunting if weather and bears cooperate! Is it a valid concern to worry about brownies in the area during the first week of October? Or are they sparsely populated in that area compared to the black bears?

Thanks for any responses.
    If you are anywhere near the road system I would say the browns far outweigh the blacks in my opinion. Reason being, is that guys actively bait and hunt the blacks near the road. That, and they don't taste too bad either. Most residents would rather shoot a black to put a little meat in the freezer than shoot a brown. The browns taste like crap. I'm not real familiar with the swanson river area, but I do know that that area gets a run of salmon, and where there are salmon, there are brown bears. Bottom line is, most places you hunt blacks you will find browns as well. If you want to be selective for blacks, hunt the mountains and glass. Leave the caller at home. You might find a few blacks still picking berries in October but on the other hand it might be too late. You would have been better off going in September in my opinion. Not saying you can't call in a black, because you can. But chances are you will run into some browns as well. Try using a deer fawn bleat if you do. Sounds a lot like a moose calf.

I carry a .375 h&h while predator hunting early season here on the peninsula, brown bears are everywhere here, more so in areas with fish, like Swanson river.

The weather will determine how many black bears are out that time of year but I've seen them ON Swanson river road that time last year.

I think calling for them is an awesome idea but do be prepared for brown bear encounters, if you shoot one of those your vacation will be ruined, justified or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you better have a really good vantage point to be calling bears, especially in areas where theres the black and brown kind. Be cautious, try to be on higher ground, and not in the thick stuff.

but, it could prove to be very effective.

Luckily, my resident buddy should be able to take of a brownie if one pops out! In Arizona, most bear hunters are lobbing 600-900 yard shots at black bears with rifles while they are eating *****ly pear cactus fruit on our high desert hillsides leading into rugged oak and pinion pine canyons. I get my rush while calling them into close range and have taken my last four bears with archery gear from 4 to 22 yards. The feeling is indescribable, especially when you do the work with your own lungs and not a play button. I think it would be a hand-callers dream to call in a big Alaskan bear for someone who is ready to harvest it...well, at least that is my dream.

Luckily, my resident buddy should be able to take of a brownie if one pops out! In Arizona, most bear hunters are lobbing 600-900 yard shots at black bears with rifles while they are eating *****ly pear cactus fruit on our high desert hillsides leading into rugged oak and pinion pine canyons. I get my rush while calling them into close range and have taken my last four bears with archery gear from 4 to 22 yards. The feeling is indescribable, especially when you do the work with your own lungs and not a play button. I think it would be a hand-callers dream to call in a big Alaskan bear for someone who is ready to harvest it...well, at least that is my dream.
    Good luck!
    I'm currently sick in the *****ly pear but looking to make the move north in the next year or two.
    I'm interested in how Arizona tactics play out in Alaska. Now I have to stay getting ready for a coues deer hunt in October.

Stuck*...............not sick.

I was told by a trooper you can't be calling and then claim DLP on bears.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by AZVince View Post
    Good luck!
    I'm currently sick in the *****ly pear but looking to make the move north in the next year or two.
    I'm interested in how Arizona tactics play out in Alaska. Now I have to stay getting ready for a coues deer hunt in October.
    Sorry, the word was "*****ly" pear cactus. I have no idea why the stars popped up on that word! No, I would not plan on losing a brownie or grizz on a DLP take. If brownies respond well to my calling style, I will definitely return with a guide on my next trip for a dream harvest...but, would hopefully get a blackie or two if they elude the bait sites.

As a bear hunter, I am ecstatic to read reports of grizz and brownie hunts on this site. It is a bear hunting addicts heaven!

Calling blackies in SE Ak is awesome. If I wanted to call one it, it would be spring in the Ketchikan area with a fawn bleat. I have a bud that uses a blade of grass now down there.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

The refuge has closed brown bear hunting on refuge land, which Swanson river is, so if you call a brown out there your resident buddy can't shoot it either, FWIW.

May want to move off refuge to do your calling.

I will check that stuff out next summer before fall approaches. Is that refuge closing business the recent news I read about a federal judge or somebody closing down brown bear hunts on the peninsula early before the season even ended? Why do judges think they can make management decisions for people living in a particular area with their own local resources? Outlandish decision! Very akin to "taxation without representation" when King George III and the British Parliament tried to assert control over our American colonies.

I will check that stuff out next summer before fall approaches. Is that refuge closing business the recent news I read about a federal judge or somebody closing down brown bear hunts on the peninsula early before the season even ended? Why do judges think they can make management decisions for people living in a particular area with their own local resources? Outlandish decision! Very akin to "taxation without representation" when King George III and the British Parliament tried to assert control over our American colonies.
    It's the refuge, which is Federal property. If it was up to them I think they'd make all Alaska a park and close it to all hunting. The people working there act like they own the place......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

This closure was determined by the refuge manager, if I'm not mistaken.

There is a separate issue going on right now with the parks service trying to close the national parks in AK to some predator hunting.

Used a predator call in Kodiak years ago when someone told me they worked good for deer. They did work ..... but it seemed weird to have a doe come charging in to rescue a perceived fawn in distress ..... and instead find a hunter with a rifle. One evening I sat quietly .... except for an occasional toot on the "rabbit call" ..... with not a breath of wind ..... I thought I could hear any sound a mile away. When it started getting too dark to see good enough to shoot ... I quietly got up to walk the 200 feet back to the boat .... and 60 feet from where I was sitting ... there was a brown bear laying flat on it's belly .... as it had sneaked in that close without making a sound. It was a young bear and I would have stepped on it if it hadn't bolted and run at the last minute. No more predator calls in brown bear country for me.

Cormit,

For such a large animal, it is truly amazing how quiet bears can sneak up on you when they want to! I have had bears sneak to within 10 yards of me before I heard them or perceived they were there. Most of the bears I have called used that quiet investigative approach, but a few of them have come charging down the side of a canyon and I could hear them busting towards me from several hundred yards away. Some of the scariest stands were those when foxes appeared out of the brush leaping towards my legs! They have responded more frequently to my calling than any other animal and are very quiet and small on their approach.

So, how big is a young brown bear? Six-foot 300 pounds maybe, which is a great AZ bear. Did you get a bear on Kodiak, or were you just after deer?

Cormit,
    So, how big is a young brown bear? Six-foot 300 pounds maybe, which is a great AZ bear. Did you get a bear on Kodiak, or were you just after deer?
    The brown bear that snuck up on me was probably only a two year old and may have been around 300 pounds ..... hard to say. The bear was sneaking flat on the ground ..... and in between a couple of tussocks. My path to the boat took me right to the bear. The bear lost it's nerve and bolted when I was about ten steps from it. I never saw it till it moved. An older bear might have held it's ground. I was primarily deer hunting but had gone through the trouble of picking up a brown bear permit in Kodiak before flying out to Afognak. I thought maybe I'd shoot a bear if I got the chance. The bear incident happened so quickly I never got a shot off. If the bear had committed to ambush me ...... I would not have had time to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    The refuge has closed brown bear hunting on refuge land, which Swanson river is, so if you call a brown out there your resident buddy can't shoot it either, FWIW.
    Where does it say that the refuge was closed this year? I found on the KNWR web site emergency closures for brown bear, the notice said from 12:01 AM, October 26, 2013 to 12:01 am on November 25, 2013. I cannot find any notice of closure for 2014; it would be good to know where they post this info, especially if it is different from where they did last year.

Attachment 80781

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast