Thread: More 2013 Big Boss problems :-(

Angry More 2013 Big Boss problems :-(

Well, long story short - ANOTHER broken bolt!
    You know the one Same axle (right side center axle). The nut end sheered, again! Fortunately I heard it break (I was going slow and taking it easy) and stopped before anything else bent. This time I was deep in the hunting grounds but had two spare bolts. However, my 14mm socket was MIA. I jumped on a 4 wheeler and spent the next couple hours going to the trailhead and back to get my other tool bag. Fixed it in the field and got it back on the trail. The bolt holes on the support bracket would not line up so I had to leave it disconnected from one side.

Problem 2: No 4x4 in forward gears The shift indicator on the pod showed N when the lever was in low or high and 4x4 would not engage. And the check engine light came on. It all worked properly in neutral and reverse. But after limping in the woods for a day, the N indication when in low went blank and 4x4 would engage and the 4x4 icon illuminated. It still showed N when in high range but the check engine light went off when in high.

Anyway, it's off to Polaris for warranty work :-( That Can Am machine is sounding better and better every day.

I got the 6x6 back from the dealer this weekend. Thanks Big Lake Powersports and Marine for the good work - again! :-)

Problem 1: They go the cross piece reattached and checked everything down there to ensure nothing is bent. Since I picked it up on Sunday, there was nobody there to tell me exactly what was done. I will find out tomorrow.

Problem 2: They replaced the electronic shift sensor located just aft of the shift linkage at the tranny. Problem solved :-)

As for the Can Am 6x6, it looks like a great machine but not worth over $16000 to me. I still have four years left on the extended warranty on the Big Boss and it looks like it may pay for itself.

That shift sensor sounds like a good part to keep with...how much was it Bigsub? I have the wheels off mine right now in the driveway cleaning and inspecting the a arm bolts, frame tab welds I did and heavier dog bone braces I did. Hauled another bull and a bear out this year, loaded with a 62"er in the bed and gear in the trailer running hard the 10 hours out and everything is still good with no problems at 300+ now hard hunting miles on her.
    I'm so glad I just got it done....if ya want to do it and have questions just ask.

For future reference, a 9-16 socket is the same as 14mm. Glad you made it out alright.

I had a 12 point 9/16 and the bolts were so tight it started to strip the heads. After getting the 14mm, they came right off.

Polaris? And...."that can-am is sounding better and better?"

Sounds like your taste in machines needs repair. Buy a flippin Honda or Yamaha and be done with the pain.
    Proud to be an American!

Quote Originally Posted by fullkurl View Post
    Polaris? And...."that can-am is sounding better and better?"

Sounds like your taste in machines needs repair. Buy a flippin Honda or Yamaha and be done with the pain.
    I have ran a Honda Foreman 450 since 2002....have I had problems? A few yes.... I love my Foreman but is it capable of what my Big Boss is capable of? Not even remotely close. So far my 6x6 is making me happy.
    I broke the 2013 Po Po down to nothing with 0 miles on it and put it back together fixing everything I seen 5 hat needed attention so I know what makes it tick. Is the fit and finish what my Foreman is? No....that one's been apart many times as well.
    The Big Boss is a beast capable of much more than a standard 4 wheeler in the Alaskan hunting circle, undeniable. Just ask my hunting partner who was towed through every tuff spot this year behind me and my meat trailer loaded down with meat. So far my machine has been trouble free, but it's a machine non the less.. all you can do is care for it and maintain it and hope for the best. The Foreman and Grizzly I own aren't bulletproof by ANY means either...

My taste in machines is just fine. I really enjoy the Big Boss and its beastliness and said the Can Am statement out of frustration at the time. Once I have gotten the bugs out of this thing, it will be fine. Nothing is bullet-proof and I get that. All I can do is make it as strong/reliable as possible. Both by how I ride it and how I modify it. I am also not brand loyal (except for my off-road Chevy :-) ) and have little atv experience on anything other than my Polaris bikes and my buddies Honda (I do like how his manual trans works!). So, for the ime being, I will run what I own and deal with any challenges that come up.

Fair enough my friend. I hope you get it sorted out and that it provides years of service...and there is something to be said for two mo' wheels on the ground...I imagine a six by six will claw to china...
    Proud to be an American!

I have a 06 honda rubicon, bought it new and really haven't had any problems with it but am thinking of getting a used six wheeler
    problem is I have a friend who is a diehard polaris guy and he's always working on it and I don't want to be wrenching on my machine while I should be hunting. Can anybody convince me it's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by 64moosecall View Post
    I have a 06 honda rubicon, bought it new and really haven't had any problems with it but am thinking of getting a used six wheeler
    problem is I have a friend who is a diehard polaris guy and he's always working on it and I don't want to be wrenching on my machine while I should be hunting. Can anybody convince me it's worth it.
    If you can't turn a wrench and don't want to pay someone else to do it stick to your rubicon and pack light or buddy up with a 6x6 owner.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

I have an '05 6x6 and love it. Not cheap to maintain though. Rode 629 miles 2013 and 300 this year and I've had to replace the middle axle bearings, chain & sprocket. Ride the heck out of it and love the fact it will pack in an entire camp. Great machine, but not the cheapest to maintain. Love to get a newer one but dread the a-arm issues they're having.