Thread: Stampede trail

Default Stampede trail

I'm looking at going camping along the stampede trail this weekend and was wondering if there's any camp sites where I can take a truck and 20ft trailer, I've searched the area on Google earth and looked at several maps of the area, I've been told you can drive up the road and there's places to camp (along the road), but I've also been told it might be tough getting a trailer up there very far.

If I recall correctly, the road comes to a very clear end. Just room enough to do a turnaround. The trail continues on but we didn't go down. It was a couple years ago that I was up there. EricL

I concure with EricL. It's been a few years, but the road goes in a few miles and has a turnaround at the end. It's all open hill side up there and it may be a tight turn for the trailer.

I road back a few miles and from what I saw, the trails seems to go forever.

I stoped in at the Cheveron there last week for a quick shower, you could camp there (desent camp ground at the Cheveron, showers, dumpstation, store) then ride the wheeler up to the trail. Riding the roadsides is legal there. I talked to a few locals pulling in the fill their wheelers. You can ride all over and also get down to both rivers from the Chevron.

Hope this helps.

Dave
    Live life now, or forever wish you did!

Default Stampede Trail

Thanks for the help!!!

That saved me a tight turn around, or being stuck backing up for a few miles

Is there any place further out of town?? I might just haul a few bikes with me and go explore that area (for the day), It just seems like an interesting area (I've only been down that way twice... and that's just passing through town on my way to anchorage)

So now this is what I am thinking.. Will I be able to do that much exploring on the bikes?? I have an XR650L and a big wheel 200. They are both pretty capable machines back in the lower 48, but wheeling up around here (I've wheeled both around North Pole--Delta Junction area) I have learned Alaska "swamp" isn't really that fun on a bike (I don't know what the "terrain" around Healy is like). I may just take the 4 wheeler for the day and explore the area

You can go a long ways up the Stampede trail on a bike, however be aware that there are a river crossings and eventually the trail goes into Denali NP and at that point you cant go any further unless you walk, unless you want the parkies after you. There is easily a days worth of riding up the trail that bikes could manage.

How about doing the Ferry trail? the bikes will get across the bridge alot easier than most wheelers. see the other posts about it. it is pretty neat back in there...Eric

The original Stampede trail goes into the park. After crossing the Savage River a trail goes left that stays out of the park. It been several years since I've been in there, but I hope to go in on snowmachines if we ever have winter again.

Default Stampede Trail

Thanks for everyone's help

It looks like I may wait and try the this trail later on in the year. In looking at the ferry trail and reading the other thread, it now looks more interesting.. Is there any other way to the ferry trail (other than the foot bridge)?? can you get there from Rex??