Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Single SxS or Two ATVs

Default Single SxS or Two ATVs

Which setup would you prefer? Running 2 atvs of your choice, wih a single trailer; a single Side by Side 4x with trailer, or a lone 6x6 Ranger? I know the ATVs are more maneuverable and better on fuel, but are much colder and tend to get stuck a little easier. The Side by Sides are more expensive, but can haul more and are better suited to the late fall/winter hunts (I think)

I am going through the same here. I have found the S x S that I want is about $22,000 and the wheelers are a bit more that that together.

I figure two wheelers are safer than one S x S because if something breaks you can still get back to camp or the truck, in my experience wheelers will go way more places that a S x S too. And the 6X6 is just lame... I still don't know why people have those, maybe for people who take everything in their home camping or hunting with them?

Quote Originally Posted by kevin476 View Post
    And the 6X6 is just lame... I still don't know why people have those, maybe for people who take everything in their home camping or hunting with them?
    Sounds like argument baiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

2 atvs is two seperate maintenance pits that you get to throw money at.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Smile

[QUOTE=kevin476;1423270
    I figure two wheelers are safer than one S x S because if something breaks you can still get back to camp or the truck, in my experience wheelers will go way more places that a S x S too. [/QUOTE]

I went through the decision last fall and decided on 2 wheelers. My wife liked the idea of having one if something happened to the other when out riding together. About 1/3 the time I am alone and a wheeler works great for what I am doing. At the same time- the other day when it was below freezing- the idea of being in a side by side with a heater and windshield was very appealing! In a perfect world I would have a sxs and wheeler...and a Rokon, and a......!

After freezing on the Taylor this last weekend, a heater and windshield look pretty nice. Not sure if it's worth it vs another quad though

you know the old saying, two is one and one is none. I personally wouldn't venture out to far without a second rig anymore. I have learned the hard way. I would rather have 2 wheelers and a sxs!

wheelers will go way more places that a S x S too. And the 6X6 is just lame...
    I laughed out loud reading this. I have never had a atv keep up with me out hunting. A properly set up ranger will out perform through anything except maybe a super narrow section of trees.
    The 6x6 is an animal too, especially if your hauling out all your hunting gear and a moose. Atv's just can't do it in one trip and sometimes it takes several.

P1020190.jpg

wheelers will go way more places that a S x S too. And the 6X6 is just lame... I still don't know why people have those, maybe for people who take everything in their home camping or hunting with them?
    This statement made me laugh out loud too. I doubt he has any experience with either Atv's or SxS's. My wife and I ran the Big Boss and a 4-wheeler for years and stepped up to a Ranger 6x6 this year, we'll never look back. The weight the rig can haul is amazing. I'm talking meat and racks not the kitchen sink...

Was wondering how the SxS performs in swamps?
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    Was wondering how the SxS performs in swamps?
    http://can-am.brp.com/off-road/side-...1000-x-mr.html

Thanks kevin...but I can't get the video to play, must be my slow internet service. In the pics I can look at, those don't look like a hunting rig to me, they look like a race all around and just have fun sort of rig.
    "Grin and Bear It"

The sxs's work fine in the swamps. Put it in low range and keep on driving. They are heavier then an atv so use momentum to your advantage and you can get through some pretty nasty stuff. Not saying they can't get stuck, because they can, but they can chew through some serious mud. They also drive over thick brush pretty good to, thanks to the weight.
    The only time I wish I had a Atv over the ranger is on steep hills. It's hard to lean forward enough and the ranger doesn't zoom up the hill as fast.

Thanks for the input alaskabliss...
    "Grin and Bear It"

yeah im of a different opinion about sxs in the swamps. they do ok... If faced with a tough swamp I would chance it on a wheeler anyday before the sxs. I have a rhino and a wheeler and the rhino is setup pretty good and has many swamp miles on it, and so does the wheeler. the wheeler gets stuck far less than the rhino. And, when the rhino is stuck... its very very stuck. In a perfect world I would have a can am 6x6 wheeler x2 and keep a rhino for plowing and work things where a bigger heavier rig is needed. the rhino also is pretty comfy in the winter with a soda in hand! And I disagree with you that a 6x6 sxs is lame........ you crazy hahah. I have seen 6x6 sxs go through some serious mud where no one else could go!

Perhaps your 6x is different, perhaps your swamps are different, but in my experience (and I have thousands of miles), ATV's do better in the swamps than 4x SxS's.

The swamps down here have a layer of vegetation several inches thick, with Loon feces underneath. If you break through, you're stuck. I love my Rhino, but it is what it is... I stay off the swamps. My lighter weight Rancher stays on top, my Rhino breaks through and high centers. There's no arguing with pounds per square inch. A 4 wheel SxS has more PSI than a 4 wheel ATV.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    Perhaps your 6x is different, perhaps your swamps are different, but in my experience (and I have thousands of miles), ATV's do better in the swamps than 4x SxS's.

The swamps down here have a layer of vegetation several inches thick, with Loon feces underneath. If you break through, you're stuck. I love my Rhino, but it is what it is... I stay off the swamps. My lighter weight Rancher stays on top, my Rhino breaks through and high centers. There's no arguing with pounds per square inch. A 4 wheel SxS has more PSI than a 4 wheel ATV.
    How's you PSI after you stick a couple hundred pounds (for one of several trips) of moose and camping gear on your wheeler?

If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt-Hunter View Post
    How's you PSI after you stick a couple hundred pounds (for one of several trips) of moose and camping gear on your wheeler?

Well, since the base weight of the empty Rhino is a couple hundred pounds heavier than a wheeler, then I guess a few less PSI than a Rhino... Assuming of course the Rhino also has a few hundred lbs of meat/gear. It's not very complicated.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I don't think you can argue against the fact that a Atv will do better then a ranger in the bottomless swamps. Psi will be greater on a ranger or rhino. They use the same size, or close tire.

You have to look at the pro's and con's of both machines and what you will be driving it in the majority of the time to make a educated decision. I have experianced the Kenai Pen. swamps with my ranger and it wasn't much fun. For Unit 13,14 area, I prefer the Ranger since it can handle the terrain much better then the ATV. So bottom line akcowboy, look at your intended mission and make the decision, don't just listen to us

Interesting Thread,,,, Been there & and done that, with ATV's,,,, Here's my Answer.-

Attachment 80731
    [ Retired and Living the "Dream" in Alaska, Semper-Fi ]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast