Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Feds and State again

  1. #1
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,600

    Default Feds and State again

    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

  2. #2
    Member tyrex13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Anchorage/Soldotna
    Posts
    1,176

    Default

    Who is Stan Leaphart and what does he know?

  3. #3

    Default

    Well, The Feds have a major lack of LEO's to start with, and very few of them will get their boots dirty. And of the few tickets issued, the fines are a joke. If they really gave a rats'arase, they would expand enforcement, not bother with more regulations they can't enforce because of no officers.

  4. #4
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,600
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

  5. #5
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,788

    Default

    My opinion is that eventually the Park Service, followed by other government departments, will ban ALL hunting and trapping on federal lands. Not in the near future, but in a Fabian kind of way. Let's be honest with ourselves, America in the 2010s is not as understanding about hunting as it was even a decade ago, and will probably be even less understanding in the decades to come. If the departments attempt to reflect the views of mainstream America it will look at hunting/trapping/fishing as cruel anachronisms. Some groups- perhaps Native Alaskans, for instance- will have exceptions... for awhile. I fear for the rights of my kids/grandchildren, but it probably won't affect my hunting. Many of you will be affected when you are my age, however. If the state had more land conveyed to it, this would not be a problem.

  6. #6
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    My opinion is that eventually the Park Service, followed by other government departments, will ban ALL hunting and trapping on federal lands. Not in the near future, but in a Fabian kind of way. Let's be honest with ourselves, America in the 2010s is not as understanding about hunting as it was even a decade ago, and will probably be even less understanding in the decades to come. If the departments attempt to reflect the views of mainstream America it will look at hunting/trapping/fishing as cruel anachronisms. Some groups- perhaps Native Alaskans, for instance- will have exceptions... for awhile. I fear for the rights of my kids/grandchildren, but it probably won't affect my hunting. Many of you will be affected when you are my age, however. If the state had more land conveyed to it, this would not be a problem.
    I agree but also believe the State needs to put more of its land in private ownership. The feds are hoarding land like the state in this way. I think the rule change that allows common folk to carry firearms in federal parks got things abit hot under the collar for many park folk. If our whole state was pro hunting of bears its equal to one eight of Houston Texas being pro bear hunting.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

  7. #7
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I agree but also believe the State needs to put more of its land in private ownership. The feds are hoarding land like the state in this way. I think the rule change that allows common folk to carry firearms in federal parks got things abit hot under the collar for many park folk. If our whole state was pro hunting of bears its equal to one eight of Houston Texas being pro bear hunting.
    Well, if the state only owns less than 30% of the land, and is mandated to keep some out for mental health, parks and such, it doesn't leave much land. I agree with you, but it would have to be a LOT of land made open... but then we get the checkerboard ownership of land where you can't go here and you can't go there... a phenomenon we already see at play when you, for instance, try to hunt the Parks highway.

  8. #8
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    My opinion is that eventually the Park Service, followed by other government departments, will ban ALL hunting and trapping on federal lands. Not in the near future, but in a Fabian kind of way. Let's be honest with ourselves, America in the 2010s is not as understanding about hunting as it was even a decade ago, and will probably be even less understanding in the decades to come. If the departments attempt to reflect the views of mainstream America it will look at hunting/trapping/fishing as cruel anachronisms. Some groups- perhaps Native Alaskans, for instance- will have exceptions... for awhile. I fear for the rights of my kids/grandchildren, but it probably won't affect my hunting. Many of you will be affected when you are my age, however. If the state had more land conveyed to it, this would not be a problem.
    I predict that future restrictions on hunting will have less to do with which agency manages a given piece of land, and more to do with diminishing game populations in the face of ever increasing human populations... And as always, short-sighted people will continue blame the lack of wildlands and lack of wildlife on some government agency (because it couldn't possibly be their own fault).
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

  9. #9
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    I predict that future restrictions on hunting will have less to do with which agency manages a given piece of land, and more to do with diminishing game populations in the face of ever increasing human populations... And as always, short-sighted people will continue blame the lack of wildlands and lack of wildlife on some government agency (because it couldn't possibly be their own fault).
    If there is diminishing game populations then it's only due to poor management. But you're right, it's our fault in the long run, because we allow these people to do the managing for us.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  10. #10
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    If there is diminishing game populations then it's only due to poor management.
    I rest my case.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

  11. #11
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    If there is diminishing game populations then it's ... because we allow these people to do the managing for us.....
    Yes, well stated.

  12. #12

    Default

    Anyone want to guess how much game will exist in Alaska 24 months after TSHTF.............(say a solar EMP for example)......??? After 36 months what game remains should flourish after a 93% die-off of predator Homo-sapiens.

  13. #13
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Anyone want to guess how much game will exist in Alaska 24 months after TSHTF.............(say a solar EMP for example)......??? After 36 months what game remains should flourish after a 93% die-off of predator Homo-sapiens.
    Better question is how many people. I feel Alaska resources can support around 100,000 people max
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

  14. #14

    Default

    Yes, the resources could support that number, but the number of humans with the required day after day "WILL" & skils would likely be closer to half of that, maybe even as low as 1/3 of that for the first 20 years post SHTF. South East Alaska would have the highest survival rate because of the sea foods.


    Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Better question is how many people. I feel Alaska resources can support around 100,000 people max

  15. #15
    Member martentrapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, Ak.
    Posts
    4,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    I predict that future restrictions on hunting will have less to do with which agency manages a given piece of land, and more to do with diminishing game populations in the face of ever increasing human populations...
    Currently, wildlife management on Fed lands is managed by the Fed subsistence system. Or maybe it would be better to say that hunters and harvests are controlled by the Fed system. For those who worship at the Fed alter, that means that in fact, the various Fed land entities, NPS, F&WS, BLM, For. Ser., etc. are responsible for any diminishing game numbers due to human harvests. Certainly, game pops rise and fall for reasons beyond human take, but the Feds are responsible for responding to these rises and falls by managing harvest.
    Certainly, Taiga, with your extreme confidence in the Feds, game pops will be safe on fed lands!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •