Thread: Birch / Beaver Creeks / Wood River

Default Birch / Beaver Creeks / Wood River

So just FYI to forum members over the years we have had constant pressure on both rivers between 15-25 user groups per year i.e. depending on water level etc... This year has seen a significant increase and by significant I mean on Birch estimated 35 user groups, Beaver 30 Plus and I want even try to guess on the Wood River not to mention there are 4 guides working the River this year versus the normal 2. I would assume the Harvest of animals will be Maximized in 2014. For strictly planning purposes please consider this for 2015. I am not stating not to use the rivers for your enjoyment just that you may find more company then in previous years with lower harvest-able animals. Mind you this is my opinion and you should check with the ADF&G concerning the science of it all.

Most float hunts IMO should be based on the event however as always there are expectations to be met or exceeded however concerning the following rivers those standards should be lowered based on user groups over the past year.

Best of luck!

RMM

Bluemoose, I hate hearing reports like this. It really is a bummer to hear reports like this on any river. But I really can't help but wonder, is there any rivers at all that aren't getting more and more pressure every year. It's kind of sad to say, but I don't really see how things will ever change. Not unless for some unknown reason there is a mass exodus from the state. And I don't foresee that happening anytime soon.

Luckily the general season for 25c closes on the 15th so us locals have a shot at putting meat in the freezer, pretty crowded out there right now especially for an area that has a very low moose population.
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    So just FYI to forum members over the years we have had constant pressure on both rivers between 15-25 user groups per year i.e. depending on water level etc... This year has seen a significant increase and by significant I mean on Birch estimated 35 user groups, Beaver 30 Plus and I want even try to guess on the Wood River not to mention there are 4 guides working the River this year versus the normal 2. I would assume the Harvest of animals will be Maximized in 2014. For strictly planning purposes please consider this for 2015. I am not stating not to use the rivers for your enjoyment just that you may find more company then in previous years with lower harvest-able animals. Mind you this is my opinion and you should check with the ADF&G concerning the science of it all.

Most float hunts IMO should be based on the event however as always there are expectations to be met or exceeded however concerning the following rivers those standards should be lowered based on user groups over the past year.

Best of luck!

RMM
    BlueMoose, where are you getting these numbers? How do you know how many groups float any given river per hunting season? Not doubting you, just wondering?

Last weekend, the day before we were scheduled to depart, our air taxi advised us of a logjam on our chosen float hunting river and offered the Wood as an alternative. We chose to cancel for many reasons. Being even closer to Fairbanks was one of the reasons. Without a solid, pre-planned "Plan B" we just didn't feel like spending money for an expensive camping trip.

No worries Steve I don't mind answering the question. I have been up on Birch and Beaver talking to some of the groups who are in the Launch Points and recovery points. I also personally know several private users of each of the systems mentioned and I work with Local Air Taxi services in my business throughout the year to see what they have booked in those systems. Being that I rent gear and some people use me as a sounding board in regards to float hunt rivers I try not to add or point additional personnel into those systems when I see and or receive information. Would rather be part of a solution than to add to a problem. As stated previously not trying to say don't use them just do some additional home work in making a choice.

In a nut shell an educated guess based on conversations and my own eyes.

No worries Steve I don't mind answering the question. I have been up on Birch and Beaver talking to some of the groups who are in the Launch Points and recovery points. I also personally know several private users of each of the systems mentioned and I work with Local Air Taxi services in my business throughout the year to see what they have booked in those systems. Being that I rent gear and some people use me as a sounding board in regards to float hunt rivers I try not to add or point additional personnel into those systems when I see and or receive information. Would rather be part of a solution than to add to a problem. As stated previously not trying to say don't use them just do some additional home work in making a choice.

In a nut shell an educated guess based on conversations and my own eyes.
    Got it, I have a friend on one of those rivers now, I'll ask him about his experience and if he saw a lot of footprints on the bars and how many groups he saw and what kind of wildlife he saw. Shame, seems like every access point these days is way to busy.

I just came off of Beaver on Monday. We saw a few groups out there not to many. I don't think we saw a lot of people for two reasons, one the flood that happened on the 2nd I think it was, and that we went the first part of the hunting season and not the end. We did manage to get one off the river but we did not see anyone else with a moose and we did not see to many Moose ourselves so I think luck had a lot to do with it. still a fun float and great grayling fishing.

Thanks for the report eh glad you had a good time sorry no harvest. I did not get up there till 7 Sept. Plenty busy.

Best of luck!

RMM
    Been more than 4 guides on the wood for more than a decade. Prob since the allotments changed to a free for all.
    They don't bring the real pressure IMO....irresponsible transporters do that. drop, drop, drop. The worst was few years back. Have picture of rafts coming down about 500 yards apart. Camps between. Pretty crazy. I spend a lot of time over and in that country. I sure wish they'd quit the any bull permits even tho it'd affect my income a little.....but I gotta hope the local bio's know more than I do.

Fwiw

I wish there was a way to improve the moose hunting on the road system, it might help spread out all of the hunting pressure on some of the rivers. Just a wish and a hope but probably wont happen, I think the days of going to Turnagain Pass and Willow and getting a moose is all but a thing of the past.

Quote Originally Posted by redneckalaskan View Post
    I wish there was a way to improve the moose hunting on the road system
    ----Reduce driving speeds at night. Just slowing down 5 mph will alleviate a lot collisions. Over 500 moose were killed in collisions in 2013 (including trains which contributed to about 15% of the total). (according to the adf&g website). Slow down while you text, at night, in the winter, on ice!

-----Protect their habitat. Moose populations in the upper mat-su are most affected by human presence and development (habitat destruction). Depredation from bears and wolves is not a significant factor because we've essential removed their presence. Habitat destruction includes creating mono-cultures of vegetation (clearcutting, tree farms, riparian degradation). Future causes of habitat destruction along riparian zones include the Su-Dam, which will channel-ize the river, constrain nutrients, reduce silt loads, and reduce growth of pioneer species such as river birch and willow which comprise the majority of moose browse. Really though, the main factor here is merely human presence (the opposite response of white tailed deer in ohio).

Checked blm website , cant find anything about small outboards or go devils on birch or beaver creek.
    Anybody know or have a link to info?
    Thx

Default Birch / Beaver Creeks / Wood River

Quote Originally Posted by sh View Post
    Checked blm website , cant find anything about small outboards or go devils on birch or beaver creek.
    Anybody know or have a link to info?
    Thx
    Checked the website and couldn't find anything either. I do have this picture from the beaver creek put-in though...
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Many parties on Birch Creek also got a friendly license check via helicopter this year as well. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412360853.060789.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Quote Originally Posted by Grayling Slayer View Post
    Many parties on Birch Creek also got a friendly license check via helicopter this year as well. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412360853.060789.jpg
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BLM or troopers?
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"