Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Upper Kenai Logjams

  1. #1

    Default Upper Kenai Logjams

    Anyone know of any this year in some of the backchannels? If so, can you describe where?

  2. #2

    Default

    Wow, really????? Thanks for all the help guys.

  3. #3
    Member icb12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Kenai
    Posts
    1,038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Wow, really????? Thanks for all the help guys.
    ha,
    Floated sunday, but didn't fish any back channels.

    Did see boats go through the first one river left below guardrail.

    edit: you might cross post this in the rafting forum, might get some looks from others

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by icb12 View Post
    ha,
    Floated sunday, but didn't fish any back channels.

    Did see boats go through the first one river left below guardrail.

    edit: you might cross post this in the rafting forum, might get some looks from others
    Thanks icb12!!! I tried to give you some rep, but it said I had to spread some around first.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    35

    Default

    The side channel icb12 referenced splits into three. I've been down the left and right options, which were both fine, but I haven't tried the middle yet.

  6. #6
    Member DannerAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Whiskey River
    Posts
    1,161

    Default

    With the highwater warning for Kenai Pen streams in effect, I'd scout any braid I planned on taking, if the water comes up as expected....
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

  7. #7
    Member FishGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fishing your hole before you get there
    Posts
    1,948

    Default

    All braids we floated were clear as of last week. We did not go down Bear Braid though, it's the braid on the left before Windy Bend. Bear Braid has a lot more water than previous years, but as stated, we did not float through it. All other braids were clear.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

  8. #8
    Member Frostbitten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!
    Posts
    3,279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Thanks icb12!!! I tried to give you some rep, but it said I had to spread some around first.
    I rep'd him for ya!

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    All braids we floated were clear as of last week. We did not go down Bear Braid though, it's the braid on the left before Windy Bend. Bear Braid has a lot more water than previous years, but as stated, we did not float through it. All other braids were clear.
    Thanks. I tried to rep you too. But again, it said I had to spread some around first.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    All braids we floated were clear as of last week. We did not go down Bear Braid though, it's the braid on the left before Windy Bend. Bear Braid has a lot more water than previous years, but as stated, we did not float through it. All other braids were clear.
    Is bear braid that really long braid that eventually comes out at directly across from Jim's landing? Thanks for the help.

  11. #11
    Member DannerAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Whiskey River
    Posts
    1,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Is bear braid that really long braid that eventually comes out at directly across from Jim's landing? Thanks for the help.
    The braid you are talking about is Jim's braid. Bear braid is on the same side of the river as Jim's braid (river left) and dumps back in just before Jim's braid starts.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    The braid you are talking about is Jim's braid. Bear braid is on the same side of the river as Jim's braid (river left) and dumps back in just before Jim's braid starts.
    Awesome. Thanks a lot DannerAK. Very helpful. I would most definitely rep you if I could but it says I gotta spread some around first. What's the deal? This is the third time on this thread alone that I tried to rep someone and the mods wouldn't let me. Sorry. This is internet communism. I think if you earned it you should be allowed to get more rep points.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dinker View Post
    The side channel icb12 referenced splits into three. I've been down the left and right options, which were both fine, but I haven't tried the middle yet.
    If you've been around awhile the one on the right is Skidmore. That's where we lost Don. Costco Pete was the last to see him alive.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    All braids we floated were clear as of last week. We did not go down Bear Braid though, it's the braid on the left before Windy Bend. Bear Braid has a lot more water than previous years, but as stated, we did not float through it. All other braids were clear.
    Bear Braid? That's the channel of no return. Although nowadays you should be able to get through there ok.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Bear braid? Also know as lats chance, the back Channel right before Jim's ? That has always been very productive for me. I have been doing very well on the upper river fish between 16-21 and on the middle I have a fish over 28" this year, and several north of 25".The bead bite is on, but like everyone said watch the weather due to the report that the river is supposta flood soon.

  16. #16
    Member DannerAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Whiskey River
    Posts
    1,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skybustin28 View Post
    Bear braid? Also know as lats chance, the back Channel right before Jim's ?
    Not quite. Read posts #10 and #11.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •