Thread: Where To Buy A Caribou Antler Panel Mount Kit?

Default Where To Buy A Caribou Antler Panel Mount Kit?

I'm thinking that panel mounting my smallish bull caribou antlers would be a good wintertime project for my two boys and I. Where would you suggest buying the supplies locally (Anchorage) or online? We already have a big bull that my wife shot professionally shoulder mounted and a bull that one of my sons shot European mounted. Until/if one of us take s a bigger bull I'll just stick to a simple panel mount.

You should be able to find the stuff to do it all yourself at either a hobby shop, home depot, or a sporting goods store. Many sporting good stores sell plaques with velvet and such. I bought some stuff called "sculpt-a-mold" at the local hobby store. I also built the plaque myself out of oak, but I've seen ready made plaques at Home Depot and hobby stores. All I did was cut a piece of 3/4 ply and bolt it to the scull cap. Then use the sculpt-a-mold (like plaster of paris) to make up the mold all around the scull cap. Then bolt the plaque to the plywood and install a upside down type "V" bracket to catch a nail or screw on the wall. Then last I wrapped the mold with some leather and braided some strips of leather to trim out the form. Pretty easy really.....
    One
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Oh and one thing to think about when doing caribou horns. Personally I don't care for antler mounts that just get put on a plain flat plaque and hung on a wall because they don't hang at all like the would on the animal. Instead, I think it's really nice when they are mounted on a plaque more horizontally where they can hang on, but away from the wall, kinda like a small pedestal so they will tip back up, and back, to make them look more like they would if they were resting on the head of the caribou. Even on a moose rack, with a flat plaque they don't hang like they would on the moose. But with a caribou it's even more accentuated with the big sweeping arch they have to them. Just something to think about......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Another option, rather than plaster or sculpt a mold is a can of Great Stuff (spray on foam insulation). Just spray it on and let it expand/cure, then trim /sculpt it with a knife and sand paper and cover it with leather or felt. It's considerably lighter than plaster.

VanDykes.com has been great for me, I picked up some shed connectors and various other things from them, reasonable shipping and great customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. That's all good info.

Post pictures when you get done!

Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

I'd find yourself a burl. I think Stid has some mounts done that way. I was a packer when this ram was harvested.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

That's a cool idea to use a burl! Going to have to keep my eyes out for one now!