Thread: Interior Moose Timing

Default Interior Moose Timing

Hi all, I am new to moose hunting and have made camp and scouted an area. My glassing opportunities are limited so I will be calling. I have found plenty of sign that there are moose in the area including fresh and old summer and winter scat, fresh tracks and trails, old rubs, calf and cow calls, and their smell. I need some info on the rut timing as it pertains to when I should start raking and calling and when to use attractant. We have been hunting for 5 days and other than the sign I have only seen 1 cow. I have until the 22nd so, I have some time.

Be patient still early
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

As jkb says, in some places it's still kinda early. It seems that some bulls just react differently. I've called aggressively at this time to get big bulls that I knew where there and they've come in hard. But then I've called at this same time and got no response.

If you know bulls are in the area or at least a lot of moose within a couple miles, keep calling. What will happen sometimes is you will slowly draw moose towards you for a few days and never see anything, and then all of a sudden they will be all over the place. But at this time of year I would tend to be a little less agressive with the call. As time progresses amp up the calls. Don't be afraid to throw in a few long drawn out cow calls as well to mix things up.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I have the best luck over the years calling and raking at sun up, and sun down. They seem to be pretty quiet during mid day, unless I just haven't heard them because of other noises.

Quote Originally Posted by 2dawgs View Post
    I have the best luck over the years calling and raking at sun up, and sun down.
    Indeed. Although I have called in bulls at all times of the day, if it was in the afternoon it was usually because they were heavy into the rut. But early and late are definitely the most active times..........like anything else really. But I've been "conversing" with bulls early in the morning and when it seemed to get to a certain time they'd just shut up like a light switch went off.

Timing in an area can change from year to year depending on various conditions. Some years it will happen earlier and some years it will happen later but it (in my experience) rut should start picking up in another week or so and really get going by the end of the season. It's a little early yet for rut but they should be getting with it by next week, they will do a little sparring this early and bulls will start to pair up, begin herding the cows but it's just a little early. It never hurts to call and don't be discouraged if you don't get results immediately. Just be persistent, beat the brush and work on your calls at home and you will get good at it. Also, never hurts to buy a dvd just to see how other people call and also looking at youtube and watching the moose call can give you a good idea of how they sound.

That being said, I know of a lot of guys who had moose come in just by grunting when they were pooping, I know guys who had moose come in while they were hammering on something in their driveway, I've heard a ton of stories about them coming in to chainsaws (A couple guys were clearing a homestead that my dad knows that had two bulls come in at the same time and they shot them both), your calls don't have to be perfect. Keep your rifle within arms reach at all times because they will come in to anything when you least expect it. They are so unpredictable and yet they are creatures of habit. Moose are weird animals.

Being persistent is the most important quality in a moose hunter. If you don't give up and you work hard you'll eventually get one. It might take a few seasons but it will happen if you put the time in and you're in a good area. Calling is the same way. Keep calling and keep calling - eventually, a moose will come in and it will probably happen when you're not expecting it. Especially right before dark, but I shot one at 1 pm that was just out feeding. It happens.

Also, good luck! Moose hunting can be miserable and hard work but it's worth it when you knock one down. They are tough animals but they aren't as tough as a high powered rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by acg515 View Post
    That being said, I know of a lot of guys who had moose come in just by grunting when they were pooping, I know guys who had moose come in while they were hammering on something in their driveway, I've heard a ton of stories about them coming in to chainsaws
    I remember a story by our old B&C scorer about a time when he was up on the trophy area bench when the hunting was good. He had to wake up his buddy one night as he was snoring so loud that he called a couple bulls into camp and he thought one of them was gonna stomp them in the tent....

Just got home from 12 days north of Fairbanks, called in a huge bull with aggressive scraping. The colder weather has them a few days ahead.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Just got home from 12 days north of Fairbanks, called in a huge bull with aggressive scraping. The colder weather has them a few days ahead.
    I think we need a story....
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    I think we need a story....
    AGREED!!!

AZinAK