Thread: CanAm Outlander 6x6

Default CanAm Outlander 6x6

Anybody have a CanAm 6x6 ? Are they even out for sale? I would love to have another single seat 6x6 just as long as it does not say POLARIS on it
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

The local dealer has had a couple- all sold before they hit the floor.

They look great...but the price tag is up there.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I've seen three different ones at AMDS over the last few weeks
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

I saw them at AMDS also a few weeks ago during their annual garage sale. Looks pretty sweet! Only thing I didn't like was how low and open the radiator sat in the machine. Hopefully someone chimes in on here that has one or has ridden one. I'm sure interested in them
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

A good friend of mine purchased the very first one in Alaska, spent some time with him up at Petersville, the machine had three miles on it when it hit the ground. Very impressive, comfortable, capable, SMOOTH riding, responsive, quiet, loaded with features at the base level. Three other people who now drive Polaris Big Boss and drove the CanAm, all said they are going to buy one, they were that impressed. Very nice machine!

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    They look great...but the price tag is up there.
    By the time you add all down time and weekly repairs for the Polaris 6x6. You could buy 2 CanAms
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

So can anyone tell me what the torque is on the 1000 and 650? I know the HP on the 650 is 62 not sure on the 1k but I can't for the life of me find what the torque is
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Found this on the can am forum...

DETAILS All Outlander 1000′s Come with:

Rotax V-Twin 1000

At the core of the Outlander rests a dominant 80 976cc liquid-cooled Rotax V-Twin power plant that produces an industryleading* 82 horsepower and a whopping 17 percent more power than any competitive ATV in the market. With an unmatched power-to-weight ratio, 65.1 lbs.-ft. of torque and electronic fuel injection (46mm throttle body), the single overhead cam engine is as efficient and refined as it is raw and invigorating. Regardless of temperature or altitude, EFI ensures optimal performance from the engine at all times.
    Despite its unprecedented performance levels, the eight-valve engine remains controllable and offers useable power for a wide array of riders and situations. Progressive throttle control means the power remains manageable in slow-speed circumstances or during a flat-out sprint.

​Thanks AKBEE. Any info on the 650?

Your question about the 1000 piqued my interest so I just googled it and found the forums- I am sure there is info about the 650 as well. That 6 wheeler sure looks nice but pricing as I would like it is a bit high for my wallet!!

Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    ​Thanks AKBEE. Any info on the 650?

Didn't find any torque listings but is listed as 62 hp for the 650...pretty impressive.

More can am junk junk!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesse,

Please elaborate on your "can am junk" comment. There are multiple threads currently running on this forum about Polaris 6x6's continuously breaking suspension bolts and/or otherwise breaking down due to factory design defects. As a prospective 6x6 buyer, I'd like to know if you have valid concerns about Can Am ATV's, or if you're merely reacting out of brand loyalty to another manufacturer?

Thanx, Dave.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

I tend to ignore that type of blathering. Every brand has issues, I have only owned Can Am, three of them. My current one is the only one that has given me any trouble, it's an XMR with 30" tires which has eaten 3 axles, only issue in almost 2k of hard miles. I ride much harder than most, so I think that is pretty good. My friends Ranger has had more issues I think, but he is hard on it too. If I had the money, there would be a 1000 6X6 in my garage.

I bought one of these outlander 6x6 1000cc atv's, Very impressed with how smooth the ride is, power steering, and the feel of the machine just sitting on it. I am a little disapointed that it has a 50 MPH speed limiter on it, and really doesnt seem to have as much pep when you hit the throttle that you would expect from a 1000CC that is geared like it is, I think some clutching will need to be done to make this machine perform properly which is a bummer to find out on a new machine, especially when it is about the most expensive ATV you can buy.

I do plan to load it up with some weight and give it a real test soon, maybe I'll be more impressed with it under a load, but I have my doubts, thats what the low range is for. I'll post more as I ride it, I want to give this a thorough reveiw so people know, there is very little out there on these things.

As to my issue with the machine I feel that it is a combination of clutching and fuel mapping that makes this not perform. with this thing geared down and as much traction as it has you should have to hang on when you mash the throttle, this is not the case, its not a very fast acceleration and to me that doesnt make any sense, you gave up top end for the 50mph limiter and gained nothing in the low end, in fact it feels slower off the line then any of the other 1000cc outlanders that arent geared down, I gotta ask, where did the power go? It seems like to me when you hit the gas the fuel mapping runs into the rev limiter and only allows a gradual acceleration, this thing should instantly be going 50 if its geared down, not really the case here.

I'll post more as I ride this machine, I was more excited about this purchase then any other machine I bought so I hope my opinion changes and they work out some bugs for me, really hate to be negative about this machine since it is by far the most expensive one I have ever purchased. Maybe I just need to ride it more to appreciate it

I should also mention that my buddy bought one and he thinks it is plenty fast, but he is coming from a 20 year old honda foreman so not sure he knows what a big bore should feel like

Well I have got a season on the 6x6, it is an impressive machine. I did have one mechanical failure that the dealer fixed under warrenty, shouldnt have been a big deal but the machine has been broken most of the season mostly due to the dealership not fixing thing right or completely, I did have an aftermarket axle that they had to remove and reinstall, they never did it correctly so now I have issues again after 10 miles, I doubt that they will make it right because it was an aftermarket axle so they will try to soak me for another 1200 to rebuild the diff. The other 3 machines that I sold for them are performing flawlessly and are very impressive, I'm just having issue with a dealership I fully beleive, I have never had so many issues with a machine and it all points to them. I will be doing all the maintenance and repairs on my machines from now on, they where even rude to me on more than one occasion and talked to me like I'm some kind of idiot. Pretty bold way to talk to somebody that spent $50,000 at their dealership in 3 months, sold three six wheelers and 2 Maverick XMR's for them. I left a message for management to call me 2 days ago, still no reply, I will not be going there again. I was going to buy a Scandik and a Renegade 1000 XMR from them too, they just lost some money on me

As for the 6 wheeler it is an impressive machine, I have been thrilled with the performance after I got used to it, I would have been thrilled right away but the machine was misrepresented to me by the dealership initially so I expected some speed that was never there, had they not told me it would be I would have been happy right off but for the first 3 weeks I thought there was something wrong with the machine because it only went 2/3 the speed they told me it would. Aside from that very impressed, they pull amazing loads and make it look easy. The ride is incredibly smooth and they crawl over everything. The only minus I could see coming from 4 wheels is that they tend to feel a little tippy on the side hills, partially due to the suspention roll, I will consider the heavy duty springs as an upgrade for it. They do push through the corners a little too, especially if you have a lot of weight in the bed, it take the pressure off of the front making steering difficult at times, with a trailer i dont even notice this though, just be careful not to overload the bed on long trips

thanks for the update, appreciate it
    "f/64 and be there"

Update, the dealer has worked with me on some of the issues, so I'm not completely dissapointed in the service, it still sucks to have so many issues witha new machine but I feel like they are halfway working with me, about all I would expect from a dealership

Someone had to be the test dummy