Thread: Poachers

Default Poachers

Hate to post this in a HUNTING thread, cause what they did is NOT hunting. This sub legal bull was poached and left to ROT off the 90 on Miller Loop in North Kenai.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Hopefully you reported it to AST. Reported a low 40s 1 and 2 brow tune bull last year. At least that one made it to someone that needed the meat.

AZinAK

This the same one you said you stalked the other day.

Quote Originally Posted by bayou View Post
    This the same one you said you stalked the other day.
    No, this was one many of us local hunters were seeing every day.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    Hate to post this in a HUNTING thread, cause what they did is NOT hunting.
    As you already know the pukes that did this are not hunters. I doubt very much that the "killers" ever had any intention to salvage this bull. I say this because if they were actual hunters they would have known that he wasn't a legal bull..........simple as that.

But the fact is that this kind of thing goes on all over the world. Some people just have to kill just for the sake of killing. I don't really believe that mankind as a whole can do anything about it. If people can kill one another for a few lousy bucks then killing an animal doesn't even faze them. It's a shame I know, but unfortunately it's "the nature of the beast."

Fortunately I do believe that most non-hunters realize this. Notice I said "non" hunters and not "anti" hunters, as not all non-hunters are against hunting.....thankfully. All we can do AS HUNTERS is do what we can to be good stewards of the resource and set a good example.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Honest mistakes do happen but if you shoot one that is sublegal, harvest the meat! If you stick with your guns and haul it out they will go a lot easier on you when they catch you than if you up and leave.

I remember seeing a 45 incher along the Parks Hwy a couple years ago around mi 108 or so. It was bedded down and people were taking pictures of it right in the ditch. Came back and a guy had shot it and the AST were dealing with him. Unfortunate. Unless you are starving, there's no reason to poach in this day and age.

Quote Originally Posted by acg515 View Post
    Honest mistakes do happen but if you shoot one that is sublegal, harvest the meat! If you stick with your guns and haul it out they will go a lot easier on you when they catch you than if you up and leave.

I remember seeing a 45 incher along the Parks Hwy a couple years ago around mi 108 or so. It was bedded down and people were taking pictures of it right in the ditch. Came back and a guy had shot it and the AST were dealing with him. Unfortunate. Unless you are starving, there's no reason to poach in this day and age.
    What I call poachers are people that hunt illegally but harvest the meat. People that kill and leave the meat are nothing but killers. They kill for the sake of killing....just to watch something die. As I said above, I doubt that many of them ever have any intention of harvesting the meat.

Reminds me of that old sheep on the Seward Highway that everybody used to take pictures of, and then some ****** bag shot it for fun. They are probably the same people that shoot signs. About as much brain as a hamster.

There was a 40 inch bull along the Parks highway Sunday. I could see at 70 mph he wasn't 50 and was 2x2 but 4 rigs were panick stopping. I didn't stop to see the carnage that probably ensued. It was in unit 13 so it wasn't even close.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Discussed this with a friend in Soldotna. he knows of 8 sub legal bulls that have been taken. Wonder how many actually have hit the ground if we knew about them all. No wonder you never see a 50 plus.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    Discussed this with a friend in Soldotna. he knows of 8 sub legal bulls that have been taken.
    Out of those 8 how many have been reported, or let lay, that you or he knows of...???

Unit 13 has Federal Subsistance tags-- any bull

so, depending where he was- some of those panic stoppers may may had a legal tag

2 cents

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Out of those 8 how many have been reported, or let lay, that you or he knows of...???
    I think they all were reported, but don't really know for sure.