Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: happy valley fly out hunt

Default happy valley fly out hunt

I know this has been discussed on the forum before but i cold no find anything recent. i am trying to plan a hunt next august out of happy valley. i will probably try to fly out with 70 north but as of yet have not been able to find any contact info for them. i am also considering arrowhead outfitters as i would like to make this a multi-species hunt. deltana may also be an option but my hunting partner does not fit there passenger weight limits so if he is with me they wont be an option but if its just me and my son they would work. any other options to look into would be appreciated.

i am also not sure what part of august would be best. i think from my research that the caribou are up high early and start to move down later in the month. i am not in the kind of shape i should be for a lot of mountain hiking but might be by the time the hunt comes up.

a fly out float back hunt would be a very real option if it is possible to float back to the road but have not been able to figure out yet if its possible.

i am sure more questions will come up throughout the next year but thats what i can think of for right now.

thanks
    Matt

I just got back from a caribou hunt up there. Flew with Fullcurl/Husky aviation, they are partners, had an awesome trip. They fly M7 Maules on wheels so have a little more room than a Cub and can haul more freight as well. Their prices are reasonable, airplanes are the cleanest and best maintained I've seen. And they put us right in the animals, I'd guess I saw 1500+ caribou the first 3 days of our hunt. We shot 5 nice bulls and the furthest we had to travel from camp was about 1.75 miles. Give them a call, they'll treat you right and put you on game, they had a camper we stayed in while we waited for the weather to clear one night and part of the next morning, Nicole had a hot meal waiting for us when we got out of the field to boot.

thanks I will check into them as well.

I did an Ivishak float with Brett at Fullcurl this year and he definitely did right by me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

This may be a dumb question but oh well. Is the $2500 per person or per flight? I am assuming per person but just double checking
    Thx

Per person. A guy, his gear and a quarter of a comfortable 10 day camp outfit pretty well fills up an M7.

milo I couldn't find any info about a float hunt on the fullcurl website. i will try to contact them during the offseason. i am wondering about multi-species hunt. caribou, bear, and maybe wolf.

the kid just wondering what you mean about a quarter of a comfortable camp.

another thing i was wondering is if we close to the weight limit on the way in i cant figure a way we wont be overweight with meat if the hunt is successful. does that mean paying for another flight to get game out or is the added weight figured into the light weight on the way in.

Thanks
    Matt

I think he said he'd be up there till about 3rd week of Sept. I'd give him a call after Oct 1. He'll work with you if you have an idea of what you want to do. I think there are some multi-species options up there.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Meat haul is included for 2 caribou per person in the fee. By comfortable camp I mean that me and my bunch took big tents, lots of food, a sack of taters, a few more amenities than your normal jetboil/freezedried tiny camp.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Meat haul is included for 2 caribou per person in the fee. By comfortable camp I mean that me and my bunch took big tents, lots of food, a sack of taters, a few more amenities than your normal jetboil/freezedried tiny camp.
    Am I reading this right? $2,500 per person out and back with a 2 caribou meat run included? If that is correct, how far out are they willing to go for that price?

Give Mike a call at 70 North ~ phone number is (907) 659-2544

Bob is one of the best pilots around!
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Far as I know they are willing to go as far as need be to get you on the animals. Bret told me both when I booked and when we got there, that putting client on animals is their second priority, first priority being safety of course.

I am at Happy Valley Camp right now, and have been for the past few weeks. The caribou are on the move for sure. Everyone that comes through here with 70 North have been successful, with big smiles on their faces and are indeed happy at Happy Valley Camp!
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Just got back home from a fly in float out hunt and used 70 North as the transporter. They were professional and did a nice job. We were fortunate to see as many animals as we did. Did not see a single caribou flying in. Weather changed and we ended up seeing a ton of them. I will be completing a write up tonight or tomorrow, but here are some things to consider. Floating that river is not a joke. Its not a float, its a paddle/drag. We had strong head winds and cross winds and had to paddle (hard) constantly to stay off the banks and in the right channel. All 4 guys in my group are in pretty good shape and we fared well, but I wouldn't want to have had to do it with someone who was not physically prepared.

I've been on the that river twice, so it may be awhile before I repeat that hunt, but if I were to do it again I would seriously consider just getting dropped. You obviously wont cover as much ground, but you will not be wasting time setting up and tearing down camp. You also wont be relying on water levels. We had really nice water to float out, but it was still a task given the 40 mph gusts and 20 degree temps.

Have you got a web address for 70North? I did a google search and wound up with inconclusive results. It seems like most outfitters doing DIY caribou hunts are asking about $2500 pp. does that sound about right?

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Have you got a web address for 70North? I did a google search and wound up with inconclusive results. It seems like most outfitters doing DIY caribou hunts are asking about $2500 pp. does that sound about right?
    Contact info for Mike at 70 North, one of the best outfits up there.

operations@SEVENTYNORTH.COM

Deltana will only drop you for Bou,, no sheep hunters, they will not fly sheep hunters that are DIY.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by MBURNS2244 View Post
    Just got back home from a fly in float out hunt and used 70 North as the transporter. They were professional and did a nice job. We were fortunate to see as many animals as we did. Did not see a single caribou flying in. Weather changed and we ended up seeing a ton of them. I will be completing a write up tonight or tomorrow, but here are some things to consider. Floating that river is not a joke. Its not a float, its a paddle/drag. We had strong head winds and cross winds and had to paddle (hard) constantly to stay off the banks and in the right channel. All 4 guys in my group are in pretty good shape and we fared well, but I wouldn't want to have had to do it with someone who was not physically prepared.

I've been on the that river twice, so it may be awhile before I repeat that hunt, but if I were to do it again I would seriously consider just getting dropped. You obviously wont cover as much ground, but you will not be wasting time setting up and tearing down camp. You also wont be relying on water levels. We had really nice water to float out, but it was still a task given the 40 mph gusts and 20 degree temps.
    Looking forward to hearing your story..We were there from the 1-8th Sept....We managed a nice trip, with the exception of the 3 day 'hole up' in the tent and around camp. Thankfully we did not have issues with wind or water levels and the float out was great. (actually too sunny for my liking, LOL, but I would rather have sun than blowing in your face snow!)
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Quote Originally Posted by JuliW View Post
    Looking forward to hearing your story..We were there from the 1-8th Sept....We managed a nice trip, with the exception of the 3 day 'hole up' in the tent and around camp. Thankfully we did not have issues with wind or water levels and the float out was great. (actually too sunny for my liking, LOL, but I would rather have sun than blowing in your face snow!)
    He posted it already.....

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...y-in-Float-out
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

[IMG] Arrowhead Outfitters August 17th 2014. [/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Default Keep driving north beyond happy valley!

I've never flown with 70north and won't say anything bad about any of the pilots flying out of happy valley.
    What I will say is that I have no reason to inquire with any other pilots after the hunts I've done with Arrowhead Outfitters!
    I've been on 2 highly successful hunts and will continue to use them for any Brooks Range or North slope hunts I choose.
    I'm a man of value and every year I do this hunt I add up the cost of flying that Howard and his pilots do and I'm amaze at how affordable this hunt becomes. The fact that he will move you mid-week to an area where the caribou have relocated to is just priceless. PRICELESS!
    This year was a prime example. My group of 4 hunters followed the 2 gentleman from the previous reply "ORHUNTERS". The had tagged out in a single day on those 2 great bulls. The next day we all 4 took the stud caribou you see in those pictures. We passed up MANY bulls that were smaller or equal to these bulls. At this first location we were holding out for bulls that were truly enormous to fill our second tag. But, By two days later, all the caribou were gone. Arrowhead moved us about 10 miles to a new lake and we were able to fill out on great bulls.
    I've done the 5 mile march 3 times. Each time I was able to see and hunt caribou but wound up disappointed when 2 days passed and the caribou had all migrated away and left the tundra barren again.
    With all the experience I've had on that haul road…you just can't afford to travel all that way up there and not be successful. Arrowhead outfitter's float plane operation is the best way to be successful, and have the tundra to yourself. Otherwise, you'll be sharing gravel bars with other outfitters!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast