Thread: Weather forcast ?

Default Weather forcast ?

Quick question but who do you guys use for the longrange weather forcast ?

I fly in from Australia on the 10 th and was looking to check accurate weather predictions.

No such thing exists - though I suppose it depends on what you mean by "long range". I find that noaa.gov is about the most accurate source for short-term forecasts. They're pretty good for a couple days out, but beyond that it's a guessing game at best. You won't find a source that can predict what the weather will be like a week in advance with any degree of accuracy.

They can't predict the weather for the next day, much less the next week. I just got home from the kids football games and yesterday's forecast of cloudy 70% rain increasing into the evening just yielded a warm sunny 6pm game. Umbrellas were nice to have along to protect from sunburn.

http://pafc.arh.noaa.gov/tvwx.php

Best you can get for the next couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    No such thing exists - though I suppose it depends on what you mean by "long range". I find that noaa.gov is about the most accurate source for short-term forecasts. They're pretty good for a couple days out, but beyond that it's a guessing game at best. You won't find a source that can predict what the weather will be like a week in advance with any degree of accuracy.
    Here in SE AK where I live; the NOAA forecast is usually accurate for the following 1-3 days when out on the water away from town. For a local/town forecast including the local waters near town; I have found that www.weatherunderground.com is the most accurate.

Thanks guys looks like it's just a case of show up and it is what it is.
    Cheers for the replys

http://aawu.arh.noaa.gov/

The above aviation wx site has forecast periods broken down into 12 and 24-60 hour segments. There is also a 3-5 day and beyond forcast. These are all based on several complex computer forecast models. Obviously the farther out your forecast, the less accurate they become....