Thread: Scope recommendations

Default Scope recommendations

I have a Tikka T3 Light in 308 on the way and am trying to decide on a scope. I am looking in the 400.00 to 500.00 price range. I like 3X9x40. Also looking at the 30mm instead of the 1'' tube. What are your thoughts.

A Leupold 4x33 is a perfect fit for both budget and the lightweight rifle. Lots of good 3-9x40 scopes. Also look at 2.5-8x36 VXIII.

Not much advantage to 30mm tube in most situations.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I have the VX3 2.5-8X36 on my Tikka .270win. I love it, its a great combination with light gathering, lightweight, and great glass.

Good advice has been given. I put a Leupold VX II 2x7x33 on my big game rifle (Tikka 300 WSM). Ten years and no complaints or need for anything else. I'd look the VX II with the CDS system.

Quote Originally Posted by jpost View Post
    Good advice has been given. I put a Leupold VX II 2x7x33 on my big game rifle (Tikka 300 WSM). Ten years and no complaints or need for anything else. I'd look the VX II with the CDS system.
    That's the direction I'd be looking with the OPs rifle am caliber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another vote for the Leupold Vari-X III 2.5-8x36mm, which has sat on my .30-'06 Remington 700 Classic for decades. Never needed a wider field of view at close range, or more magification at long range. Scopes with 30mm tubes tend to be quite a bit heavier. Since you bought a "Light" rifle, you probably don't want to weigh it down with too large of a scope. Another good choice would be the Leupold Vari-X III in 1.75-6x32mm. Slightly more stream-lined, but, perfect for my wife's .260 Remingtom 7 SS. After I put a "Youth" length stock on it this year, our daughter used it to shoot her caribou at a little over 200 yards. Higher magnification usually needs a bi-pod or a bench-rest to be really useful. Stalking rifles need to be "balanced".
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

I've got the Leupold VX-3 3-9x40mm on my kimber .270, great all around scope and within your price range.

I put the Leupold VX-II 3-9 Ultralight on my T3 Lite stainless .270. I really like the combo for a "budget" mountain gun.

I have a Leupold VXII 3x9 on my Tikka Lite 30.06 and it has proven to be a great scope. I have reticle marks below the crosshares for 200 and 300 yard shots and they have proven to be very accurate. Very happy with both the rifle and the scope.

I also have a VXII 3x9 without reticle marks on my Tikka .270WSM but haven't shot it yet so can't attest to it. I'm sure it will be flawless though. Great scope. 3x9's seem to be a good tried-and-true optic for hunting in AK.

I just put a Burris 4.5-14x44 that was on sale at sportsmans in Soldotna for $199 on my wives gun. pretty happy with it. I have a leupold 6.5-20x50 on my Tikka and love it, but for the money the burris is a really nice scope

What a easy choice. A Leupold VXIII in 2.5x8 by 36mm. Great eye relief, great light transmitting capabilities, great clarity, light weight, small dimensions. water and fog proof and a choice of many reticles from the Leupold Custom Shop, along with the unbeatable Leupold warranty. I have used an old Vari X III 2.5x8 on my custom Mod. 70 .338 for well over 20 years and the newer VXIII line is better. Some bigger and heavier 30 mm scopes with 42-50 objective lenses that cost twice as much may do a better job of transmitting light, buy they don't transmit much more for twice the cost and add unneeded weight to a rifle and may be more fragile due to more scope extending past the rings. The 2.5 power is plenty fast for any quick close range work and 8 power lets a good riflemen shoot further then most should be shooting. If I had a million bucks in the checking account I would still have the same scope on my rifle. Try it, you will like it.

If you can find of the old model Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 that would be my first choice. This year they upgraded the Conquest scopes to the Conquest HD5 line which pretty much doubles the price. The Zeiss Terra line replaced the previous Conquests. My three top choices would be:

Zeiss Conquest (last years model)
    Zeiss Terra (no experience with these yet but if they're anywhere near the Conquest they'll be top notch)
    Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36 (great compact lightweight scopes)

Thank you guys for all your input. I went with a Leupold VX3 3.5x10x40

I always liked my Burris that my cousin put on the rifle before my dad bought it from him back in the 90's (Through all the bumps and bruises, it's been 25 years and that scope is still helping me kill stuff) but Leupolds are very solid scopes and I don't think you can really go wrong with them.

From experience, the Burris on my ruger .300 win mag is still solid.

I know it's less money than you want to spend (only $200.) but so far (short term) I am really enjoying my Vortex Diamonback 3-9x40.
    Crystal clear (for MY eyes MUCH clearer & sharper than a Leupold VX II 2-7x33 I have on another rifle). Time will tell on durability but the guy that handles warranty return stuff at the local Sportsmens said it's what he would (did) buy based on low number of returns & outstanding customer service when there is a return.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."