Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 113

Thread: Another hornday interlock failure

  1. #1
    Member mainer_in_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction
    Posts
    4,078

    Default Another hornday interlock failure

    been processing a moose that my friend shot. One bullet, clipped the very tip of the front quarter. The bullet was a 225 grain inter-lock fired from a 338 ruger compact magnum. The bullet made it all of 11 inches into the animal, peeled all the way back to the base, and grenaded all through the front quarter. The bloodshot meat was substantial, the wound was shallow. Cow moose ran 100 yds, and finally bled out, because the shock damage the main veins running up the neck. I had to take a break from cutting, it had me a bit disgusted at the meat loss. Pictures to follow.

  2. #2
    New member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2,022

    Default

    Wow, I have nothing but stellar performance from those bullets when hitting moose or caribou with them, even at 27 paces into a bull moose from my .338WM.

  3. #3
    Member Bullelkklr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    4,835

    Default

    The interlock is not a bonded boolit. You have to go to the Interbond and they function pretty good, but with the price jump to the bonded bullet, I have been running with the Barnes TTSX. The barnes seem to be a little more accurate in my rifles too. I used to only shoot interlocks for everything.

  4. #4
    Member Float Pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kachemak Bay Alaska
    Posts
    4,217

    Default

    I had a 375 (270gr) interlock explode after only a few inches of penetration in a Brown Bear. The more recent examples seem to be a bit brittle.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

  5. #5
    Member GrassLakeRon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Grass Lake Michigan
    Posts
    1,978

    Default

    Do you believe quality has suffered due to the recent buying frenzy?
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

    Edwin Hubble

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    3,908

    Default

    And 1,2,3....

  7. #7
    New member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2,022

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    I had a 375 (270gr) interlock explode after only a few inches of penetration in a Brown Bear. The more recent examples seem to be a bit brittle.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    Do you believe quality has suffered due to the recent buying frenzy?
    This I had not considered. My current supply is several years old, and the last time I put one into an animal was several years ago from a prior lot(Nosler Partitions served duty since). Perhaps there is something to the theory(s).

  8. #8
    Member hodgeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction AK
    Posts
    4,055

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    Do you believe quality has suffered due to the recent buying frenzy?
    The Interlock has a reputation for over expansion and soft construction well back into the 90's. Boddington even mentions it in "Safari Rifles" published in 1991...I don't think the current market has anything to do with it.

    I shot a fox at 20 yards with one several years ago and didn't get an exit...I stopped using them right then. That was a shame since that particular .308 would stack them one on another at 100yds.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    wasilla
    Posts
    788

    Default

    Not to create an argument here but why would you (anyone) shoot anything that you plan to eat that is not a dangerous animal in the shoulder. I have killed a lot of big game over the years and have always put it throe the lungs and only had then walk a few yards at best before dropping. The other location for a vital kill would be in the neck with a minimal amount of meat loss.
    Poor shooting or shot placement is another matter.

    Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

  10. #10
    Member GrassLakeRon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Grass Lake Michigan
    Posts
    1,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    The Interlock has a reputation for over expansion and soft construction well back into the 90's. Boddington even mentions it in "Safari Rifles" published in 1991...I don't think the current market has anything to do with it.

    I shot a fox at 20 yards with one several years ago and didn't get an exit...I stopped using them right then. That was a shame since that particular .308 would stack them one on another at 100yds.
    Most standard cup n core style bullets separate. Are these hornady interlocks any different? I shot them and have for years. Sierra's do the same and so do nosler ballistic tips. I would expect those with a higher sectional density should hold up better. I just bought 200, 220's for my 06 for the fall.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

    Edwin Hubble

  11. #11
    Member hodgeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction AK
    Posts
    4,055

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    Most standard cup n core style bullets separate. Are these hornady interlocks any different? I shot them and have for years. Sierra's do the same and so do nosler ballistic tips. I would expect those with a higher sectional density should hold up better. I just bought 200, 220's for my 06 for the fall.
    This is a good conversation... and important to consider.

    IMHO Hornady Interlocks are fairly soft- even compared to Speers or Sierras. Sectional Density is a function of weight and bore diameter and (in general) higher sectional density penetrates better all other things being equal.

    But all other things are seldom equal- jacket separation/bullet blow up is a function of bullet construction, material composition and jacket thickness- a high sectional density bullet will still blow up if made from softer material or thinner jackets- even at moderate impact speed. Woodleigh and A-Square both make some very stout "cup and core" bullets with thick jackets and harder alloys that won't come apart even at higher than normal impact speeds.

    Ballistic tips are very soft too- designed to open violently in thin skinned animals like deer or varmints (they make them for both). Few people hunt moose or bear with ballistic tips since you typically want more penetration on those animals.

    The 220gr '06 bullets by virtue of weight have lower MVs and a lower impact speed- and tend to hold together. That same bullet in a .300WBY is a grenade just looking for a place to go off however regardless of sectional density.

    In today's market the monolithic bullets (TSX, ETIP, GMX) and the bonded bullets (Accubond, Interbond, Weldcore) are generally better choices for game bigger than deer because they tend to expand fairly well and hold together to get good penetration even at magnum impact speeds. I've been a fan of the Accubond for a long time and have never recovered a bullet- just big, bloody exit wounds and dead animals.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    The more recent examples seem to be a bit brittle.
    I've been wondering about that, based upon all these reports in recent times. I have a whole bunch of older stock in half a dozen calibers that I've been using for years with complete satisfaction.... Provided I don't push them too fast.

  13. #13
    Member GrassLakeRon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Grass Lake Michigan
    Posts
    1,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    This is a good conversation... and important to consider.

    IMHO Hornady Interlocks are fairly soft- even compared to Speers or Sierras. Sectional Density is a function of weight and bore diameter and (in general) higher sectional density penetrates better all other things being equal.

    But all other things are seldom equal- jacket separation/bullet blow up is a function of bullet construction, material composition and jacket thickness- a high sectional density bullet will still blow up if made from softer material or thinner jackets- even at moderate impact speed. Woodleigh and A-Square both make some very stout "cup and core" bullets with thick jackets and harder alloys that won't come apart even at higher than normal impact speeds.

    Ballistic tips are very soft too- designed to open violently in thin skinned animals like deer or varmints (they make them for both). Few people hunt moose or bear with ballistic tips since you typically want more penetration on those animals.

    The 220gr '06 bullets by virtue of weight have lower MVs and a lower impact speed- and tend to hold together. That same bullet in a .300WBY is a grenade just looking for a place to go off however regardless of sectional density.

    In today's market the monolithic bullets (TSX, ETIP, GMX) and the bonded bullets (Accubond, Interbond, Weldcore) are generally better choices for game bigger than deer because they tend to expand fairly well and hold together to get good penetration even at magnum impact speeds. I've been a fan of the Accubond for a long time and have never recovered a bullet- just big, bloody exit wounds and dead animals.
    Based upon these assumptions then, if you had 300 rounds of 270 and 300 grain hornady interlocks for your 375 h&h mag, would you feel comfortable in the interior moose hunt?

    See when I first loaded them, almost all had positive reviews on the interlocks, even in thicker skin African game. Most of my experience comes from 30 caliber at speeds lower then 3100 fps.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

    Edwin Hubble

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    94

    Default

    Interlock are junk.

  15. #15
    Member mekaniks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Seward
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northwoods View Post
    Interlock are junk.
    http://www.africahunting.com/threads...pe-hunt.16518/

    i just oust came across this thread on the Africa hunting forums regarding the same thing

  16. #16
    Member GrassLakeRon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Grass Lake Michigan
    Posts
    1,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mekaniks View Post
    http://www.africahunting.com/threads...pe-hunt.16518/

    i just oust came across this thread on the Africa hunting forums regarding the same thing
    Did you also notice it was this years ammo? So has quality slipped due to the bullet buying frenzy? My buddy's elk went down with one shot several years back.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

    Edwin Hubble

  17. #17

    Default

    Years ago I endo-ed a moose with a 270 grainer at around 100 yards. Full penetration from brisket to exit inside the left ham. Sure different than what we're hearing about this year.

  18. #18
    Member GrassLakeRon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Grass Lake Michigan
    Posts
    1,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Years ago I endo-ed a moose with a 270 grainer at around 100 yards. Full penetration from brisket to exit inside the left ham. Sure different than what we're hearing about this year.
    I have heard similar stories with this bullet, that is why I asked the quality question.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

    Edwin Hubble

  19. #19
    New member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2,022

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Years ago I endo-ed a moose with a 270 grainer at around 100 yards. Full penetration from brisket to exit inside the left ham. Sure different than what we're hearing about this year.
    I took a bull caribou at 300 yards with a 225 grain from my .338WM several years ago, went through the spine of the front shoulder blade, broke two ribs behind that, then two ribs on the off side and through the spine on the shoulder blade on the off side and kept on trucking. I have only recovered one Interlock and it was from the 27 pace bull moose, it lodged against the hide on the off side, perfect mushroom and weighed 192 grains, it did not hit any bone.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    895

    Default

    I helped skin a large black bear shot twice with factory 270g interlocks from a 375 Ruger, 80 yards or so. Both bullets were recovered and separated from the jacket with several lead fragments. A very dead bear, so they worked, but we were not impressed with the bullet performance. We both shoot the same caliber now and have taken bears and moose with tsx bullets in 270g and 250g. Full pass throughs with only the blue tip recovered except for one moose recovered a bullet on the off side with 100% weight retention. The extra cost of a premium bullet makes sense when trying to take large animals. Similar experiences with coreloks and pigs from a 30-06. Grenades. So, cup and core bullets are not huge on my list of hunting bullets unless I am shooting at thin skinned animals or thick paper.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •