Thread: Kodiak sure has a bunch of goats

Default Kodiak sure has a bunch of goats

Just got back from Kodiak. Harvested my 10th Alaska mountain goat and it's not getting any easier on the body. I was going to take my four wheeler on the ferry but they were sold out on car deck space so I could only get the truck on. Once in Kodiak I drove out towards Pasagshak glassing the high peaks. There was a good group on the back side of the Kalsin Ridge up the American River and another good group in the Marin Range above the Sacramento River. I ended up hiking into the Marin's and setting a spike camp up about a mile in. Then I took off with just my pack, sleeping bag and necessary equipment for taking care of an animal. I got into a good spot for the night and was going to unroll my bag when I noticed 6 goats coming off the cliffs heading for the grassy slopes. I ended up sneaking up on them and shot a 9.5" goat about 30 minutes before sunset. I had time to gut and skin it out so it could cool all night then get back to my sleeping bag. The next morning I cut it up and hiked out. Saw quite a few deer up high, but ran out of time between the rain and my departure on the ferry. The day I hiked back in to retrieve my spike camp, there were 30 goats on the same mountain that I shot mine on.

Nice work and awesome goat! Was this on a draw tag?

Congrats! Sounds like a future adventure for sure.

AZinAK

Great write up and awesome pictures! How many goats would you say you saw on your trip? How many days were you in the field? Congrats.

Good job Adam! How was the hide, and is that a nanny? Three weeks and counting for me, man I can't wait!

Hey Adam headed there this Sunday! Great to hear the numbers!! Super excited for my first goat! Congrats on the 10th

Wow......sounds like a relatively easy goat hunt for sure.......I mean compared to a lot of others.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

This was the South Road System permit. Yes it was a barren 3 year old nanny. One of the few that didn't have a kid. I saw several nannies who were toting around twins.

Pm ed u Adam

The billies in that range tend to hang right on the top of the knife edges. There's a lot of country back there a goat would roll a lonnnggggg ways before stopping! Congrats on a great tag and a great hunt!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212