Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: AR15 Pistol

  1. #1

    Default AR15 Pistol

    I just built 2 AR15 pistols for something to do.
    One is a 5.56 and the other is a 300 Blackout, the 5.56 has a 7.5 in barrel and the 300 Blackout has a 10.5 in.barrel.
    They are sure fun to shoot and looks like they will make a great survival gun for the airplane.
    Just wondering if there is any interest out there ? They are easy to build and the cost isn't much more than buying a Glock.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eviens View Post
    I just built 2 AR15 pistols for something to do.
    One is a 5.56 and the other is a 300 Blackout, the 5.56 has a 7.5 in barrel and the 300 Blackout has a 10.5 in.barrel.
    They are sure fun to shoot and looks like they will make a great survival gun for the airplane.
    Just wondering if there is any interest out there ? They are easy to build and the cost isn't much more than buying a Glock.
    did you have to use a different lower? Or could I use my current AR lower receiver?

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    did you have to use a different lower? Or could I use my current AR lower receiver?
    To comply with ATF Regs it has to be a dedicated pistol lower,you can pick up a composite lower for around 100.00 and they work great.
    There is a FFL Dealer on Alaska's List selling the composite lowers for 75.00
    The stabilizing brace is a SB15 made by Sig Tac from Amazon and is ATF compliant.
    The upper can be bought on Gun Broker without the BCG for around 250.00 and with the BCG for around 425.00
    Just remember you can not have a stock attached to the lower or a vertical grip on the forend.

  4. #4
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,600

    Default

    You sure that gun is legal without a stamp. They look like a short barreled rifle with the stock not a pistol?
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    You sure that gun is legal without a stamp. They look like a short barreled rifle with the stock not a pistol?
    The SB15 comes with a letter from the ATF stating it is legal to use on a pistol buffer tube, it is considered an arm stabilizing brace not a stock.

    Attachment 80644

  6. #6
    Member Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    3,410

    Default

    I like it. I'm also in the process of building an AR pistol with the SIG brace. Right now, undecided on what length barrel to go with, but sort of leaning to a 10.5" or so.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    4,034

    Default

    I like it too, I've been thinking about building one for predator hunting this winter. Most of my hunting is in tight quarters so I figure any reduction in range should be negligible.

    Any commentary on the difference in barrel lengths? Accuracy, velocity, etc?

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sandpoint, ID
    Posts
    1,971

    Default

    I have a 10.5" in .300 BO and it is way too loud!! It does shot shoot very well with a Wilson barrel. I also built a 9" in 9mm that uses Glock mags and it's a hoot to shoot with and without a can...also have a 16" rifle that is very effective out to about 125 yds.

    I've found the pistols in .223/5.56 are pretty much useless for anything practical other than beer cans. Very loud and major muzzle blast making them not much fun at least for me. With a 8" barrel you're better off with a .22 Mag.

    Check with ATF about needing a "pistol" lower. When I was building them for resale they didn't care but then I was an 07 FFL/SOT back then.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    I have a 10.5" in .300 BO and it is way too loud!! It does shot shoot very well with a Wilson barrel. I also built a 9" in 9mm that uses Glock mags and it's a hoot to shoot with and without a can...also have a 16" rifle that is very effective out to about 125 yds.

    I've found the pistols in .223/5.56 are pretty much useless for anything practical other than beer cans. Very loud and major muzzle blast making them not much fun at least for me. With a 8" barrel you're better off with a .22 Mag.

    Check with ATF about needing a "pistol" lower. When I was building them for resale they didn't care but then I was an 07 FFL/SOT back then.
    I just got back from the range shooting both the 5.56 and the 300 Blackout.The 5.56 with a 7.5in. barrel shot pretty well, lots of noise and muzzle blast.
    The 300 Blackout with a 10.5 in. barrel shot great.
    I chronographed both and to my surprise you are right the 5.56 averaged 2350fps with LC ball 55gr.not much more than a 22Mag.It looks like a 10.5 or 11in barrel would be better.
    The 300 Blackout with a 10.5in. barrel and Hornady 110gr. VMAX averaged 2300fps.
    With 150 gr.Hornady Interlock they averaged 1850fps.and shot 1/2 in groups at 50 yards.
    It looks to me like 300 Blackout is a keeper but i would definitely go with a longer barrel in the 5.56.

  10. #10
    Member Akheloce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Homer
    Posts
    1,135

    Default

    Put a Noveske piggy brake on the 223, tames that muzzle blast nicely.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

  11. #11

    Default

    I run those on my Noveske 6.8 SPC pistols.

    Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    Put a Noveske piggy brake on the 223, tames that muzzle blast nicely.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sandpoint, ID
    Posts
    1,971

    Default

    I put one of those SIG arm braces on my BO pistol and it does not allow me the ability to get the gun in front of my face and properly line up on a red dot....but if you were to rest in on your should it works fine.

    In case you folks haven't tried it...the new Ultra Dot 28mm High Def red dot is a fine sight. The 2 MOA dot makes the gun work well out to 150 yds or so. Down side...my wife now has it on her AR and she is hot on the undead targets at 100 yds. Ya gotta keep em happy..ya know!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

  13. #13

    Default

    The 16" M4 style AR is about the minimum effective length for a 223 for accuracy/velocity/muzzle blast combinations. The colapsable stock allows for a pretty short package with decent accuract out to 300 yards using decent optics. This style of rifle can be built in many calibers as needed. Always thought a 30 carbine might be a hoot to shoot in an AR.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

    On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    4,034

    Default

    I've been pondering something in the 10-11" range, wondering if I couple that with some fast burning powder in some re-loads if I couldn't keep velocity around 2500fps at the barrel, anyone try that?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Member S.B.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    680

    Default

    I'm surprised BATF defines the gun in your picture as a pistol, given it has a butt stock?
    Steve

  16. #16
    Member Akheloce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Homer
    Posts
    1,135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    I'm surprised BATF defines the gun in your picture as a pistol, given it has a butt stock?
    Steve
    See post 5
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Arizona Baby!
    Posts
    485

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I've been pondering something in the 10-11" range, wondering if I couple that with some fast burning powder in some re-loads if I couldn't keep velocity around 2500fps at the barrel, anyone try that?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't see why not especially if you are using H322.

  18. #18
    Member Akheloce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Homer
    Posts
    1,135

    Default

    I'm getting 2200 with a 7.5" and mild loading. so that sounds doable
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    4,034

    Default

    Well I ordered my new upper so I'll have to decide on a barrel length soon, I'll start a new thread if I go that route, thanks!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  20. #20

    Default Legal Arm Brace

    Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    I'm surprised BATF defines the gun in your picture as a pistol, given it has a butt stock?
    Steve



    This is the doc. that is sent with the Sig Brace.
    If there are any questions on building an AR15 Pistol or the legal issues go to AR15.com and then click on the Ar15 Icon, then select AR15 Pistol. I hope this helps with valid questions some people have.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •