Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two weeks into sheep hunting......part 2

Default Two weeks into sheep hunting......part 2

Well after 25 years of chasing them I got the ram of my dreams! Never thinking that we would top my sonís ram, but 5 days later it happened! We camped on this ram for 2 days freezing our butts off waiting for him and another full curl ram to move into a spot that I could make a shot. Finally they moved away from their non-approachable vantage point to where I could make a 450 yard shot with a 22-250 AI with a 75 gr A-Max bullet, dropping the ram in his tracks, but he took a 150 yard tumble off rocks and cliffs. I had to sew his mouth and lips up with needle and thread for pictures, also put a good cut on the bridge of his nose! This wasnít a Hard Park Subsistence ram, this wasnít a Draw hunt, this was a DIY OTC tag that any one could huntÖand thatís all Iím saying about thatÖgrin

The Ram, he was a toad both body and horns, at 41X14.5Ē he scores 174 1/8 net B&C, I had 74 pounds of boned-out meat when I got home, the horns/skull plate weighted 19.5 pounds, and the full-life sized cape weighted 20 pounds.
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

Holy moly, man...what a ram, and what a season for you and your son! What to say? You guys have done well!

Wow, that is a very nice ram. Very well done.

whoa! gorgeous ram. Sounds like you vested in cold and determination - and the payoff was awesome! Congrats.

Great looking ram. Congratulations on the ram of your dreams!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow! I can't believe the body size on him, let alone the horns! Great job!

Incredible ram Congrats. 22-50 whizz bang love it

I thought we discussed this. I cant #$%& believe it. I only asked one thing and you couldn't help yourself! You might take a few lessons from your son.

Amazing ram! Thanks for the photo...how did that Amax perform at that range? I hear good things, but can't shake the thought that its awful light for BG, even at 22-250 speeds.

Wow - that's a ram of 2 lifetimes!! Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

How old is he?

Epic season for you and your son. Both rams are just amazing! And DIY OTC?!!! You both deserve to be very proud of one heck of a season.

whoa... hubba hubba

It just goes to show ya...." The harder you work the luckier you get"

Congrats.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

What a Ram! Congrats !

Congrats on a beautiful ram. You and your family have taken some tremendous animals. I think you have mentioned that the last few were skinned for lifesize mounts. Curious if you had any pictures of your previous mounts.

that thing is a hammer! you and your sons have really got it done this season. love to see some more pics of him if you gottem. amax is a great sheep bullet, although i have only seen the results of the 162's.

Quote Originally Posted by ak378 View Post
    I thought we discussed this. I cant #$%& believe it. I only asked one thing and you couldn't help yourself! You might take a few lessons from your son.
    Hmmmmm.......either this is an inside joke, or somebody is pissed that he shared this on the forum...???

Oh and ramhunter....a "toad" of a ram is an understatement...!!!

You definitely found a honey whole for a harvest ticket....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Great post, and what a great sheep! I'm also curious how the a-max performed at that range (obviously well enough!). Lung shot looks like?

Truly the Mountain Monarch there, Beautiful Ram Congrat's to you and your son on a banner Season!!

Quote Originally Posted by ak378 View Post
    ramhunter,
    Congrats on a truly regal ram! I see it took 7 years for your talkative friend to make his first post. In either case, you will have a spectacular full body mount! Now by the looks of the rock formation and moss , I'd say the hunt took place in Alaska.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast