Thread: Fish boxes

Default Fish boxes

My dad is coming up to do some fishing and I will be sending some fish home.has anyone used the cold fold boxes? The only ones I have tried have Been the heavy styrofoam ones and they worked great. If the cold fold boxes work well for up to 12 hrs I wouldn't mind saving some money and getting them.

Not sure what you mean by heavy styrofoam. I have not used the cold fold like I've seen at Sportsman's, but have used the styrofoam inside of cardboard boxes that Safeway and Freddie's sell and they have kept my fish frozen solid for 15-18 hours. I have used both the small (30lb) and medium (50lb) sizes. I wouldn't mess with success. The wax boxes are not good. I had fish thaw on the edges on the trip from Soldotna to Seward.

Quote Originally Posted by R.E.B. LA View Post
    Not sure what you mean by heavy styrofoam. I have not used the cold fold like I've seen at Sportsman's, but have used the styrofoam inside of cardboard boxes that Safeway and Freddie's sell and they have kept my fish frozen solid for 15-18 hours. I have used both the small (30lb) and medium (50lb) sizes. I wouldn't mess with success. The wax boxes are not good. I had fish thaw on the edges on the trip from Soldotna to Seward.
    Have to disagree. 50lb waxed commercial cardboard boxes with a plastic liner are the way to go. There's a reason commercial fish processors use them. If you have good luck with the Styrofoam boxes; use them. However the waxed cardboard boxes are a good option also.

I'm not familiar with cold fold boxes...how much cheaper are they? It's not like regular fish boxes are all that pricey.
    Of the other two, I've had better success with the waxed boxes/plastic liner route, only because I've had some damage in transit with the stryo lined boxes. Both have kept my fish well frozen on trips back to MN.