Thread: russian river report

Default russian river report

There are no reds there nobody should go there there are also no rainbows its totally not worth the gas, tell everyone you know that the russian stinks right now and should definately not go wendsday, nope definately not
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Hmmm?....

Translation: (?)
    Good fishing and you want to avoid company (crowd).

Slick...very slick!

Quote Originally Posted by GirlsFish2 View Post
    Translation: (?)
    Good fishing and you want to avoid company (crowd).

Slick...very slick!
    ak_powder_monkey I think people have figured you out
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Wink

Fishing on Monday was awful, arrived at the campground at approx. 5:00am. LONG lines, tons of people and NO fish.

Every one should defiantly stay home as the Russian is just not worth it.

It is true. I just got home (a day early) and it is VERY slow. There are a few fish, but you will have to work for them. I actually removed more hooks from people today then I saw fish being caught. I did manage a couple but they were very few and far between. I talked to SEVERAL of the guys that I have met there every year for the last 2 decades and all were very surprised at how few fish there were. I got there Sunday and scouted the river from Pink Salmon down to the Cottonwood Hole and saw very few before anyone even had a chance to hassle them! The first post may have been "tongue in cheek" but it is true. The Russian is dead slow. I hope they are just late. I usually scout the river the first week for June and they are thick. I'll head down again this weekend with the drift boat and try to intercept some on there way to the Russian.

Default 6/12 1400-1600 Update

fished below Grayling parking area for a couple hours. Only saw one fish hooked and lost. No other hookups. Guess the push came through yesterday. Many guys said the fish are pooling up in the sanctuary but just not pushing up yet. Most that fished today only saw minimal action in the am...according to the couple of guys I spoke to.
    Psalm 18:34
    He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

Default Russian Reds 06/12/2007

Just got back from the Russian. We got there fairly early and found the fishing to be spotty. We hooked several but only landed four, including a MONSTER rainbow which we released. The reds are coming upriver in small waves.

The sanctuary is freakin' PACKED with reds waiting to come up, but for some reason, they are hanging out in the confluence area. We thought about trying to herd a bunch up the river, but didn't think that would be looked on kindly All those fish in the sanctuary are just waiting to come up...

Had one of our reds for dinner. Definately worth the trip and the construction traffic, even for spotty fishing and four fish on the shore.

Tight lines!!

and everybodyt should fish down below the grayling parking lot because there were definately not fish upstream

I talked to a couple guys that hiked up to the falls and fished their way downstream... no fish up there at all (wink wink).
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Default Um...

Wow. I don't know what to make of these posts. I know that AKPM's original post was sarcastic, but the rest of you seem to be serious when you say that the fishing was slow. Where were you fishing at?

I never, ever had less than 10 fish sitting right in front of me. I had some early seson glitches with landing the fish, so it took me a little while to put my limit on the stringer, but there are now 6 reds (my wife was with me) sitting in my freezer. Well, 5 are in the freezer. The other has a date with a cedar plank and a tequila/lime/garlic concoction.

Not slow at all. Go upstream.

How far upstream? I was there on Tuesday. Parked in the Pink Salmon lot at about 6PM. Hiked a bit upstream and saw nothing... didn't really see anything til we walked downstream to near the sanctuary line in the deep hole. People were landing them left and right at around 8PM. Hooked and lost 2 and landed the 3rd in the mouth... Then it all died off by about 10PM. Anyone know how are they are down by the confluence with the Kenai?... or way upstream? Thinking of going clamming tomorrow at low tide around 1030 at clam gulch and fishing the Kenai or Russian after or perhaps before and after. Moved here a few weeks ago and that was my first trip to the Russian. GREAT Time and eating salmon for dinner!

Default june 14 report

I was there today fishing rainbows and nobody was catching sockeye at all. I stayed in the lower part of the river and I only saw a few singles here and there. there definitely weren't any real numbers of fish in the lower river. I did talk to some folks coming from upstream (falls) and they did very well. I think a lot of fish pushed upstream yesterday and there are very few left downriver right now, but i'm sure there will be another batch coming soon.
    p.s. rainbow fishing was terrible and none of you should ever try it cause it's no fun at all.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Didn't see a single red today caught a ton of rainbows though, please treat them gently so we can continue to play with them in the future

Default Russian River Reds!

Limited out both days this weekend. I started fishing around 5 this morning just below the cottonwood hole. Not much happening for the first half hour. Landed one keeper. Then the schools of fish started moving up river. There was a fish on the end of my line every cast. When I left at 6:30 there were more reds moving up river then I could count. Good luck, it seems that these first run reds are a little bigger than last year. Mine averaged 8-10 pounds.