Thread: Running up the Upper Susitna?

Question Running up the Upper Susitna?

I know that a lot of guys go downstream on the Susitna, from the Denali Highway, and then run up the Maclaren or Tyone Rivers.
    But, does anyone ever run upstream from the Denali Highway on the upper Susitna River? How far can a small jetboat go?

Thanx, Dave.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

Quote Originally Posted by BluNosDav View Post
    But, does anyone ever run upstream from the Denali Highway on the upper Susitna River? How far can a small jetboat go?

Thanx, Dave.
    As far as the boundary of the non-motorized zone and beyond if your not hunting and the water is deep enough.

It is a glacier fed river the water level go up in the late afternoon and drop in the morning.
    Depending on your skill as a boater, knowing where the deep water channel are and how much work you want to do getting back will determine how far you want to go. The good news is I don't remember any rocks that does not mean there not there.

Not sure how the launch is at the bridge is, but at times it can be bad. I am assuming you are going hunting, so know where you are and travel light as I have seen it get cold for a few days and the river dropps A LOT! Good luck and take spare parts with you.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/