Thread: Float hunting for moose & caribou

Default Float hunting for moose & caribou

Planning a 2008 float hunt and have many questions. Someone said the Kobuk is a good river? Any comments? Also, anyone know where I can get a decent raft for a decent price? Another concern is the added expense of flying out with all the extra weight. Please let me know your thoughts.

Sully

Lots of questions. I've been up to the Kobuk, the area I was in was ok for floating. We saw a good number of rafters. There is some areas you can't hunt along the way in Gates of the Arctic National Preserve. Depending on time of year and the migration, caribou will be crossing the river. Although people have told me they have harvested moose there, I didn't see one in the week we were there. I trust you are going out of Fairbanks, give Wright Air a call. You can try Pristine Ventures about a raft or Test the Waters. http://testthewaters.com/main_store.htm

Default Float Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by juneausully View Post
    Planning a 2008 float hunt and have many questions. Someone said the Kobuk is a good river? Any comments? Also, anyone know where I can get a decent raft for a decent price? Another concern is the added expense of flying out with all the extra weight. Please let me know your thoughts.

Sully
    Hello Sully,

Welcome to Outdoors Directory!

You will find a wealth of information here on float hunting; it's by far the fastest-growing hunting method in Alaska. I suggest you read through the archives here in Outdoors Directory, and then come back with some specific questions.

Every float hunt is different and every float hunter has different needs. I have taught float hunting since 1992 to literally thousands of hunters here at home and outside Alaska. If you need more personalized information, drop me a private message and I would be happy to assist you.

Best of luck as you plan your adventure!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

If your looking to do a float hunt, contact Larry Bartlett at http://www.pristineventures.com He can set you up with everything you need. Good luck.

or talk to mike?...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Thumbs up pv floats

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    If your looking to do a float hunt, contact Larry Bartlett at http://www.pristineventures.com He can set you up with everything you need. Good luck.
    I would agree Larry set me up with a float hunt for moose & caribou in 2004 & all i can say is wow! 2 nice caribou a 60 in bull moose what a great guy & great service from him. I have used him 3 times & would not even think about anyone else. In 05 i took a great 62 in bull & last year I passed on a 55 incher because of the warm weather. His service is great both before & after the hunt. If you have any questions just ask or pm me trust me you cant go wrong with him

Larry set me and a buddy up with our first float hunt last year and it was a fantastic hunt. He did everything but shoot the moose for us, from setting up air charters to raft rental, sent us maps of the area, video's, and all the proper and necessary paperwork. He kept in contact with us long before and after the hunt. He will tell you straight and not BS about your odds or anything else you need to know. He's one of the best in the business if not THE best IMO.