Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tons of legal bulls in 15A?????

Default Tons of legal bulls in 15A?????

NOT. I take a bull nearly every year. Haven't seen a legal bull in 15A in the past 3 seasons, and yet every back road in my area has at least one gut pile, moose carcass, hide, bones, or all of the above. No way most of those are legal kills. Never see F&G out patrolling either. They must sit at the office and wait for other hunters to call it in.
    I know of several 40" bulls that have been poached already. It is obvious there are a lot of (I won't call them hunters) weekend warriors who see a 40" bull and pull the trigger thinking it's 50 plus. Then the 'ground shrinkage factor' takes place. I believe we need to come up with a different plan for determining a legal bull. What say you?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

You know of several animals that have been poached? Have you reported them?

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    You know of several animals that have been poached? Have you reported them?
    They have been reported.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Good deal!

I don't know if it's so much an issue of coming up with a better way to determine a legal bull, but more of an issue of all of us getting involved in reporting these dirtbags. There aren't enough Troopers to patrol the entire state and check on every hunter out there every day. If folks see or know of an illegal kill, they need to report it ASAP. If we aren't part of the solution, we're part of the problem.

They need to drop the 50" part and simply make it spike/fork or 3-4 brow tines. No question if it's legal before the shot then. If there is a 70" bull out there with only two brow tines....he gets a pass.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    If there is a 70" bull out there with only two brow tines....he gets a pass.
    Not hardly......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I like that idea.
    They need to drop the 50" part and simply make it spike/fork or 3-4 brow tines. No question if it's legal before the shot then. If there is a 70" bull out there with only two brow tines....he gets a pass.

I have been thinking something like that myself, but maybe 2 brow tines on each side or better. Too many hunters(?) think a 36" bull is a 50" bull. I have had people call me up and tell me about a monster bull they have seen, way huge, only to go see for myself that it is a medium size sub legal.

I can guarantee there ARE tons of legal bulls in 15A. Problem is that it doesn't take many legal pulls to make a ton
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    Too many hunters(?) think a 36" bull is a 50" bull.
    I sure as hell wouldn't call them moose hunters then.

My wife doesn't hunt but she sure as heck knows the difference between a big or little bull.

And btw.....if they made it two brow tines on each side then almost all the decent bulls in 15a, b, or c would be dead in a season or two. Kenai bulls have had a reputation for years for having 2 and 2. I know of a 72" bull killed on the south side of Tustumena that had 2 and 2. My 58"er had 2x1. I also know of a 68" bull killed a couple weeks ago.....2x1. I would venture to say a very good majority, if not most, of the the bulls on the Kenai end up being 2x2.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

It's time for a any bull drawing. That would stop all the guessing that results in sub-legals. Don't think anything else would do it. Guessing whether a bull is 50" is too beyond the ability of many hunters.

I have a 58" Kenai bull that is 2 x 1 also . . . I don't think there are many 4 brow tine bulls down this way.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I sure as hell wouldn't call them moose hunters then.

My wife doesn't hunt but she sure as heck knows the difference between a big or little bull.

And btw.....if they made it two brow tines on each side then almost all the decent bulls in 15a, b, or c would be dead in a season or two. Kenai bulls have had a reputation for years for having 2 and 2. I know of a 72" bull killed on the south side of Tustumena that had 2 and 2. My 58"er had 2x1. I also know of a 68" bull killed a couple weeks ago.....2x1. I would venture to say a very good majority, if not most, of the the bulls on the Kenai end up being 2x2.
    They need to let em live for a while. I know this is gonna rile feathers but hey, here it is..... Best step IMO is to shut down antlered moose hunting for a time in units 15A&b and 7. Maybe 3-4 years. Maybe make a few cow ( antlerless) draw hunts in certain areas. The same needs to happen, must happen in unit 13. It's getting ridiculous. Are you a hunter who cares about the resource or a hunter just out for blood? If our for blood or even if you need the meat that bad there are PLENTY of black bears with good edible meat. I've hunted my whole 30 years. I have a family of 4 to feed. And I don't make that much money. I depend on the meat as much as anyone to see us through the winter ( job is April- November) but still I feel this way. It's time to make a critical decision in favor of the resource.

Release Lake Trout

Well, the 47" bull that WAS hanging out on the 90 on Miller Loop was shot and left to ROT. I know quite a few hunters who saw him, took photos and passed on him knowing he was not 50", but some chump blasted him and left it to ROT.

Man, what a digusting outcome there......
    Proud to be an American!

Quote Originally Posted by fullkurl View Post
    Man, what a digusting outcome there......
    You got that right. I have seen 4 bulls that are 40 plus. 2 of them have been poached for sure. Another I haven't seen for a week and a half. Probably gone too.

Quote Originally Posted by cormit View Post
    Guessing whether a bull is 50" is too beyond the ability of many hunters.
    GUESSING is the key word here. That's what these bozos are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    GUESSING is the key word here. That's what these bozos are doing.
    Guessing is the only way to do it unless you can sneak up on it with a tape measure... That's why they should take the 50" option out of the equation.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Another thing that would help is to get rid of the special bow season that allows shooting in the city limits. All hunters should have equal access regardless of their choice of weapons. For years the spike fork moose on the Kenai have been shot up by bow hunters starting September 10th. Everyone knows these moose are around and usually live the first couple years of their lives close to where they are born. Let moose in the city limits be off limits and they will spread out. Put some street lights up between Kenai and Soldotna and less moose will be killed, same for Bridge Access Road and K Beach Road, and other areas. Better yet, let Finland or Sweden manage our moose population. They do a much better job at it then ADFG does. Also, non resident moose hunting should not be allowed where there are antler restrictions. Whew!

Moose management down there is an absolute disaster. It needs to be no hunting for a few years then go to a 1 in 4 years any bull drawing.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast