Thread: Zone 3 Caribou

Default Zone 3 Caribou

Went out on Liberty Creek trail on Monday. Glassed for two days before the opener and saw nothing. I started 30 miles back and worked my way back to the crowds....no caribou. I didn't see a caribou, alive or dead, for three days. Stopped by chaos ridge (chicken) and more of the same reports. I had a friend go up towards Eagle and he saw nothing. I don't know where the herd was but it wasn't in Zone 3.

Just got back from this area also and nada. We've hunted this area for the last 10 yrs and have never seen it so dead. Normally we are tagged out on opening day. We put about 250 miles on wheelers, 350 miles on the truck and about 20 miles on the boots and didn't see one bou, not even a cow. We did see two dead bou in the bed of a truck half way home but not sure where they were coming from. We started last Sunday scouting south of Chicken and worked our way up past Boundary then back up toward Eagle, spoke to numerous hunters along the way and all had the same report, NADA. We packed it up and now back at home. Will give it another go in a week or so.

Same story here folks. We drove up through Chicken to Jack Wade, about 5 miles before the junction. We rode the west / north west trails, and also rode the south trail that starts at the Y junction.. Not a single 4 legged animal spotted in 3 days. There are zero caribou along the Taylor! Talked to people north at mile 103, south at Chicken Ridge, and south at Taylor Mountain. All had the same story. No bou to be found. Apparently the word is that the herd came more "straight north" and didn't make it east toward the Taylor. That puts them scattered way north and west in the middle zones, instead of being accessible from zone 3 Taylor. It's definitely a busted trip, extremely cold 20 degree mornings, but had clear sunny days. Fun camping trip with guns! But expensive

While some may think the caribou hotline is worthless, there have been ZERO collared caribou within a 100 miles of the Taylor highway pretty much all summer. It is not surprising that success was nil. The businesses of Tok do thank you for your $$ that you spent at your attempt!
    Not sure who arrived at their hunting camp up the Taylor minus their ATV trailer, firewood, camp chairs, 5 gallons of gas, gallon jug of bar oil, etc. but it sure made for an interesting, 3 am "attempt" at avoiding all of it in the middle of the highway between Nabesna road and Mentasta! We stacked it all up nicely on the side of the road for your return.

Just got back also. Got up there Friday and didn't see anything. Saw 5 total racks on different trucks coming south. Tried Jack Wade and mile 103 with nothing from anyone.

Hotline has been updated. 43 caribou shot out of Zone 3 so far...

I will ditto the above results. Put 100 miles on the wheeler all from around the Y and nothing. The most successful hunt I heard of was from a trooper in route to investigate a report of a 2 bull 1 cow kill site at mile 135.

Packing for the drive up from juneau. Keep the updates coming please

Went out for 5 days went 45 miles back on the ridge for 3 days and didn't see anything. Then packed up and went to the summit and saw a few moose taken. Didn't see one caribou dead or alive. Might try again next week

Saw a few hundred from the air in the Glacier Mt CUA on Tuesday. Way back off the road though.

Anybody go up this weekend?

Anybody close out the season up there?