Thread: 40 Mile Herd, Steese, today Sept. 4

Default 40 Mile Herd, Steese, today Sept. 3

Took a drive out the Steese this morn. Got a good early start. Didn't get off the main road, but it was obvious a lot of others were. What wasn't obvious was dead animals. It was still early, but if anyone was successful, they were way south of the Steese and hadn't got back to the trail head. I also just talked to the F&G lady in Tok who gets the harvest reports. She said none had come in as of 4 pm today, the 3rd. She said she usually starts getting reports by noon if the bou are around.
    F&G EOd the hunt to close thur. Sept.4 at midnite. Going to have to be some large movements of bou to get much of a harvest.
    Anyone know of any success today?

Thanks Skinny...............fixe it!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I believe the flux capacitor is broken... unless today is tomorrow... or something.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

http://www.newsminer.com/features/ou...a4bcf6878.html

I think this is what they are telling everybody. (The radio collars)

I was out the Steese Hwy today, but I was not hunting. We didn't see any bou. There were quite a few pickups and wheelers at the likely trailheads. I saw 2 dead bou in the back of a rig at the Chatanika Lodge. Most folks were probably still out hunting. That's what I know.

Our party of 3 took one small bull, and saw about 5 others that were taken. We saw a total of 6 animals ourselves. Most folks I talked to said they saw nada. Talked to folks who hunted from nearly every access point and all reports were dim.

Thanks for the reports guys. It would be really great if hunters would call the Management Coordinator in Fbks and let her know the season needs to be extended right away. It should not remain closed all weekend
    The Coordinator is Doreen and her number is: 459-7381. I'm afraid they will dilly dally otherwise and folks will miss out on hunting over the weekend.

Was up the Taylor yesterday and saw 5 caribou at mile 142. No one else I talked to had seen one. Trooper had seen zero dead at 3pm when I was leaving.

Called the Tok office this morning to ask why they would state on the hotline that animals were along the road when they obviously were not. She said that one of the higher-ups told her to say it. She said she didn't see any of the flight reports before stating it.
    As of this morning she had one kill reported.

And don't tell me they moved in those two days(hotline updated on the 1st).
    I talked to some guys camped at the junction since Saturday that had seen nothing besides the three bears they shot.

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Thanks for the reports guys. It would be really great if hunters would call the Management Coordinator in Fbks and let her know the season needs to be extended right away. It should not remain closed all weekend
    The Coordinator is Doreen and her number is: 459-7381. I'm afraid they will dilly dally otherwise and folks will miss out on hunting over the weekend.
    Agreed I'll call today. I hunted 5 access points hard that produce. I saw 4 in two days and could've taken a tony bull but passed. I saw maybe 30-40 total taken. Everyone should bug fish and game for wasting people's time money and time off by shutting it down when it should still be open.

Call them!

Default I seen a bunch

Quote Originally Posted by tjhunter2000 View Post
    Agreed I'll call today. I hunted 5 access points hard that produce. I saw 4 in two days and could've taken a tony bull but passed. I saw maybe 30-40 total taken. Everyone should bug fish and game for wasting people's time money and time off by shutting it down when it should still be open.

Call them!
    I must have seen 60 or 70 dead caribou off the steese on the 4th I went up to Miller crossing and what a mad house was planning to stay for both days but I don't like hunting in a mad house. Didn't see any real nice bulls but there was a bunch taken apparently they we pretty far out

Anyone talk to F&G today (fri)? What was the reported kill? Apparently hunters are left in the dust while the "management coordinator" WAITS for the 3 days after the closure yesterday. The EO to the Sept. 3 opener was unnecessary. The EO for the season close on Thur. nite also not necessary. No opening over the weekend.
    Pretty poor!

I hunted off the Steese on Wednesday and saw tons of caribou and even more gut piles. Plenty of guys waiting for more to move through. I'd be surprised if they didn't actually exceed their quota for zone 1.

I hunted Thursday and only saw 6 or 7 cows. Called the hotline today and it said they only got 166 in Zone 1 but they're not planning to reopen. Almost nothing taken in the other zones.
    It seems to be painfully obvious that F & G doesn't want us hunters shooting "their" caribou. Very disappointed in the way the 40 mile herd is being "managed".

Quote Originally Posted by MikeRoylance View Post
    I hunted off the Steese on Wednesday and saw tons of caribou and even more gut piles. Plenty of guys waiting for more to move through. I'd be surprised if they didn't actually exceed their quota for zone 1.
    Mike, which access point did you use?

Yesterday at 3 pm the harvest was 200 with possibly more to still be reported.

I've been hunting the 40 Mile herd for "a few" years now. It was nice when there were no zones, it opened on August 10th, and generally stayed open until well into September. The growing popularity of the hunt made at least some changes necessary. Can't say I approve of all of them, but I haven't noticed much change in my success rate. The only difference now is that I have more incentive to get out early than I used to. It makes things tough to coordinate with my work schedule sometimes, but it's still about as close to a guaranteed kill as you'll ever see in hunting. Desperately riding 4 wheelers around past prime areas chasing other guys doing the same thing has never been the key to my success. I got mine this year after sitting in 1 spot for a day and a half. Don't know how many 4 wheelers I heard and saw go by, but it was a fair number. Didn't see any coming back with caribou. Since they came up with the zones and short openers, I'd say about 1/2 of my caribou hunts have been that way. The other 1/2 have been the stereotypical slaughter when huge groups were close to the road and everybody could find them easily. The current management strategy is what it is, and it doesn't seem to be affecting the popularity of the hunt much.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison