Thread: 6x6 chain & sprocket issue?

Default 6x6 chain & sprocket issue?

Under a load (riding through bogs, uneven & muddy terrain), my 6x6 sounds like the chain is slipping or the sprocket is breaking teeth. It 'pops' and sounds terrible. Earlier this summer, my buddy told me to tighten the chains so I did and they looked good. When I checked the chains in the field after the popping and slipping sound began (on the most level ground I could find) the chains seemed super tight. Do I simply need to just loosen the chains? Also, I thought slipping was associated with loose chains, not tight chains. Any other ideas to check? In May I had the machine serviced and had the front chain replaced, but not the sprocket. (It's an '05 Sportsman 500 6x6.)

Tim

I had the same problem and waited to long until it broke. Believe me you do not want to wait. You may have a broken link. Check All links for problems, if not the chains keep looking, you do not want to break down in the field. Don't ask how I know.

Chains too tight can be worse than too loose. Make sure they are set with the specs in the book. Just remember, the chain gets tension changes from the articulation in the suspension. If it is too tight sitting static, when the suspension flexes, it REALLY gets tight. 99% chance of what is making your popping sound.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    I had the same problem and waited to long until it broke. Believe me you do not want to wait. You may have a broken link. Check All links for problems, if not the chains keep looking, you do not want to break down in the field. Don't ask how I know.
    Yeah, I was a little worried! 4 miles up the One Mile Creek hell-hole and thought my 11 y/o and I would be walking out!

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Chains too tight can be worse than too loose. Make sure they are set with the specs in the book. Just remember, the chain gets tension changes from the articulation in the suspension. If it is too tight sitting static, when the suspension flexes, it REALLY gets tight. 99% chance of what is making your popping sound.
    That's what I couldn't put nicely into words--when the axles were articulating it was popping badly. Made it out okay, but couldn't get the machine to reproduce the noise riding around the parking lot. I must have over-tightend them.

Typically it will be the front chain. I never had any issues with the rear since it doesn't change angles. The front angle changes a bit since the sprocket is forward of the front pivot point for the suspension assembly.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

That does not sounds good because you have no way of knowing if you fixed the problem or not.
    Unless you can run the 6x6 make the adjustment and retest. If your interested I can tell you where their is a place in Anchorage where you can run your 6x6 legally?

Where would that be? Kincaid?

Tim

Yes..............

I worked maintenance all my life (so far) and taught industrial maint. for ten years. And I used to ride motorcycles. Your problem could be a worn sprocket. They do not wear evenly and one side may be worn more. If your chain is on the low side of the sprocket, and you tighten it, it will be TOO TIGHT on the high side (of the sprocket) which will make it pop or worse. I would check the sprockets and the chain, if the sprocket looks a bit out of round, REPLACE it. The chain is probably worn too, which will make it look like it has stretched (chains do not stretch) they elongate due to the combined wear in all the links. I would replace the sprocket (s) and the chain at the same time then you can get good adjustment on it.. NOTE as a chain elongates, It's pitch, or distance between the roller pins will increase, slightly and it will not fit the sprocket (new one) as it should. ALSO as a sprocket wears, it's pitch circle decreases and the combination of chain (stretch?) and the sprocket pitch radius decreasing, you have a combination of problems that can only be cured by replacing BOTH, sprockets and chain. If you do buy a new chain. lay it alongside the old one and you should see the increase in length of the old one. Compare the same number of links in both chains to see this. Hope this helps. PS don't worry about using too much chain lube, especially if you are operating in a cold climate.

Speaking of chains. It sometime seems like using a heavier chain lube will be better BUT NOT use the recommended chain for your vehicle what ever it is. While using a heavy lube/oil the heavier oil can't penetrate the chain pins that really need the lube and this will cause the chain to actually wear faster. Been there in industrial repairs as well as motorcycles. PS any of you folks that are in a northern clime, admire you as it has been just below 100 here (central Alabama) for the last month and I am tired of it and looking for some cool/cold weather AND SOON.

EDIT: use the recommended CHAINLUBE for your vehicle. sorry about that